The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 23, 2021, 10:26 AM   #176
Rob228

Quote:
You mean all those movies featuring martial arts master Hoo Flung Pooey Dung disassembling the bad guy's pistol before he can pull the trigger is false?
I think Jet Li did it the best in Lethal Weapon 4.
Old June 23, 2021, 02:10 PM   #177
Ricklin

But wait

I could just reach for the latch, oh wait that only worked right around 100 years ago.

One very good friend on the police department, undercover narcotics. J frame off duty.
Old June 23, 2021, 04:00 PM   #178
shafter

Most of the guys I know are carrying Shields or Glock 43s as backup or off duty. A few are starting to try out the Sig P365 but none carry revolvers.
Old June 23, 2021, 05:33 PM   #179
44 AMP
Staff

Never having been a cop, and more than 40 years past my active duty military service, I really don't give a snit about what they carry and use.

Perhaps not for you, but for me there is a lot more to handgunning than just self defense and CCW, and because of that, revolvers are still quite relevant. For some things they are still the preferred choice of most people, even if they are no longer the preferred "duty/service" class arm for police and military organizations.

If you don't think revolvers are relevant, then, for you, they aren't. Go enjoy your pocket combat tupperware or what ever it is that floats your boat, its all good. For me, both semis and revolvers, and even single shots are "relevant".
Old June 23, 2021, 05:54 PM   #180
wild cat mccane

As a millennial, fear not, at least the 4 and 6 inch will live on as I like them and send money at them.

Does make you wonder what happens to revolvers when the baby boomers get old and die off. There are going to be a lot of j frames out there with a pretty small market.
Old June 23, 2021, 06:23 PM   #181
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
"It's NOT like what they show in the movies. "

WHAT?

You mean all those movies featuring martial arts master Hoo Flung Pooey Dung disassembling the bad guy's pistol before he can pull the trigger is false?
I’ve been trying all day to remember that actors name so I could post this. Thanks.
Old June 23, 2021, 06:27 PM   #182
USSR

Nah, wild_cat_mccane, it's a retro thing. My daughter is a millennial and she loves her vinyl records and snub nose revolver. There will always be millennials that want to be the "cool kid on the block" and have a revolver.

Don
Old June 23, 2021, 11:56 PM   #183
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Don't be silly, of course its not false, after all, they did it in the movie!!

the only false part is the assumption that the martial arts master could do it before the bad guy could pull the trigger. Obviously it was done before the bad guy DID pull the trigger, but that's because it was in the script that way.

Tis like what I call "dumbest pilots ever", the guys who fly attack helos or A-10s or some other jet WITHIN REACH of the giant monster.

No real pilot would do that, its just barking stupid (and as you see in the movies), it gets you KILLED!!!

But its what is written in the script. So that's what gets filmed. I know why they do it, same reason tank vs tank shootouts in the movies are always at near point blank range. So both sides are in the same movie frame, close enough together so the audience can see both and tell what they are.
Old June 24, 2021, 08:19 AM   #184
Mike Irwin
Staff

Jesus, dude...

Sarcasm, Sheldon!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.