The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2019, 08:39 PM   #1
treg

Vintage SxS - black nitride?

I recently inherited a Winchester Model 24 in 12 gauge. It's in good shape, but I'd like to upgrade it with a black nitride treatment (among a couple other things).

Is the nitride treatment process (<600 deg F) too hot for the barrel assembly?
Old September 28, 2019, 09:07 PM   #2
FITASC

Seriously? What's wrong with the bluing it came with?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 29, 2019, 12:29 AM   #3
Scorch

Solder will melt waaaaay before 600 degrees, so unless you want to learn how to solder barrels together I would just rust blue them.
Old September 29, 2019, 03:38 AM   #4
eastbank

if you do those things the value will take a nose dive, and if you get the barrels up to 600 degrees you may have two single barrels. not a good idea, but its yours.
Old September 29, 2019, 05:42 AM   #5
darkgael

Quote:
I'd like to upgrade it with a black nitride treatment (among a couple other things).
That is NOT an upgrade. Quite the opposite. It won’t shoot any better and its value will be seriously diminished.
Don’t do it.
Pete
Old September 29, 2019, 09:14 AM   #6
treg

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen.
The gun is in excellent shape and does not require bluing or repairs. Since hunting with it I have become quite fond of the way it handles and shoots.
The goal of nitriding was to turn it into an all weather shotgun with more utility than it has now. I just wasn't sure if the barrels were soldiered, which would / does eliminate the possibility of nitriding.
Although in great shape with only some minor handling wear, it is a common gun with little value beyond its utility. The goal is to increase utility though a few mods. IF I decide to make it "my" gun it will get screw in chokes, sling swivel studs and possibly chrome lined bores.
The other option is the purchase of the O/U that I've always wanted, which would sadly relegate this awesome M24 with a lot of life left in it to safe queen status.
Old September 29, 2019, 09:25 AM   #7
FITASC

No need for chrome barrels; just finish cleaning with an oiled patch down the bore.

If you like it, just go shoot it. Depending on what it is currently choked versus what you want to do with it, that may or may not be worth it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 29, 2019, 10:06 AM   #8
treg

Yes, I have grown quite fond of this shotgun and may decide to use it extensively in lieu of purchasing an O/U despite a few drawbacks.

Extensive use = squirrels, rabbits, partridge, coyote, pheasants and possibly waterfowl.

I will have to read up on the effects of various non-toxic loads on plain steel bores both for the preserves and for general use on coyotes or waterfowl.

I'm assuming that daily cleaning / oiling is required under damp, "harsh" conditions with such a gun.

Last edited by treg; September 29, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old September 29, 2019, 12:16 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
I'm assuming that daily cleaning / oiling is required under damp, "harsh" conditions with such a gun.
That would be pretty much true for any gun in those conditions
Old September 29, 2019, 01:17 PM   #10
Dufus

Leave it as is. Sell it to someone that appreciates it as is. Then go buy you that nitride, chrome bored, screw-in choked gun that you want.

You will not wind up with a bastardized Winchester classic.
Old September 29, 2019, 05:59 PM   #11
10-96

I can't say much for the inside of the barrels, but a yellow can of Johnson's Paste Wax does wonders for the outside of the shotgun in damp areas.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 29, 2019, 11:18 PM   #12
bamaranger

please don't

Yes, it's yours and you can do as you see fit........but please don't.

In addition to not spoiling a nice vintage SXS, you'll prevent heartburn and lamentations by us old gun guys.

I've always wanted a Win 24, they were solid, walnut and steel, no frills blue collar shotguns, made in an era when everything was simpler. I've always felt they were a step up from their competition, the Savage 311. Win 24's, like everything else worth having, have now jumped in price, so that a solid one is not much of a deal.

As an aside, Stoeger sells a matte finished SXS and an O/U too, for right around $400, that might make a good beater, but one would still have to care for it accordingly.
Old October 1, 2019, 08:59 PM   #13
treg

With the option of making it an "all-weather" gun out the window I will use it as it is other than the addition of sling studs.
It's choked mod / full and those are the chokes I use the most in my current shotgun.
Part of owning and using a vintage gun is the care required. I'll be getting a can of Johnsons paste wax as 10-96 suggested.
Took it for a walk yesterday and really enjoyed it. As bamaranger said it is a good solid gun.
Thanks to all who replied.
Old October 2, 2019, 01:40 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...the nitride treatment process (<600 deg F)..." Is more like 970F if it's gas nitriding.
A lot depends on how long the barrels are, but a 12 ga. Win M24 isn't terribly expensive. Start at about $600 on Guns International and the Winchester Collector's site(other gauges are worth more). And the barrels may or may not be connected with solder.
A pound of Johnson's Paste Wax runs $6.47 at Home Depot. Works well on wood too.
Old October 3, 2019, 07:14 PM   #15
Don Fischer

One of the nicest gun's I ever shot was a mod 23 Winchester. Your talking about screwing up a nice gun! And for what purpose?
Old October 4, 2019, 05:23 AM   #16
bamaranger

recently

I ambled into a shop recently and they had one of those rotary things that hold long guns vertically. The rotary rack was elevated, about hip level.....on the back side I recognized the receiver of a M24, they're kind of distinctive.

I spun that thing around, sure enough a clean looking M24, in 16 ga....except....somebody had lopped the last 6" or so of the barrels off to make the barrels 24-25" in length and installed a "Ray-bar" type front sight....arrgh!!!!! The shop still wanted over $600 bucks for the thing.

In another instance, nearly 30 yrs ago, I worked a grueling detail, making fair money,and the whole 3 weeks plus, I dreamed about buying another M24-16ga that had surfaced in a local shop. As I recall, it was priced about $250 bucks. I got back from the assignment.........sold.
Old October 4, 2019, 05:26 AM   #17
bamaranger

Oh yeah

I wouldn't install sling swivels either. Buy one of those loop slings that just slide off and on the gun. Drilling the wood is almost as bad as lopping the barrels.
Old October 4, 2019, 08:04 AM   #18
Hawg

Do not shoot anything but lead out of those barrels. Please don't screw it up. Sell it to somebody that appreciates it.
Old October 4, 2019, 08:04 PM   #19
treg

Took it out partridge hunting today. Got 3 squirrels, had to shoot a couple clay birds when I got back to the house.

I like it as it is and just clean it after each use, no biggy.

I'd never lop the barrels, it swings like a dream.
Old October 6, 2019, 10:21 PM   #20
bamaranger

Yes yes

A convert.......glad you are now walking in the light!!!!!!!!!!!!!