The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 11, 2019, 07:13 AM   #1
fourbore

Any thought on TNW Aero Survival Rifle

These look pretty good in the literature. They got a good review in dope bag of american rifleman. it strikes me as a good option for an upscale gun that fills a similar role as hi-point or sub2000. Glock magazines. More calibers with much more quality. My purpose would be for fun plinking and potential varmint/pest control. No worry about a survival rifle. IMHO, that is a name, nothing more. Forget that and focus on the gun. Is it any good?

Many caliber options and caliber change over kits. I would like the 45 acp. Maybe with the 10mm change over kit as a future option on the 45 frame.

A 10mm would have real hunting potential for deer or pigs. I dont know if that would work out or not. It is a question. Some states have special pistol ctg deer zones. Might be suitable for that in 10mm?

https://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-...-xxxx-xxxx.htm

Here is a review with pics. More than adequate accuracy. Implies it might benefit from a trigger tune up.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...urvival-rifle/

Thoughts? Anyone got one yet?

Last edited by fourbore; October 11, 2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old October 11, 2019, 07:53 AM   #2
Onward Allusion

Got the 9mm. Originally picked up the pistol version then got the rifle barrel. Soft shooting gun. Quick change barrels. Can be put on/taken off in less than 10 seconds. Trigger is gritty. I'm too lazy to take it apart to polish. You'll need optics without the extended handguard with rails. If you get the extended rails, then flip-ups will work. Otherwise the sight radius is too short for irons, IMO.

Super reliable with high-powered 9mm (oxymoron, eh?) defensive loads. Stuff like WWB will literally pop out only about 6 inches from the ejection port. If you're thinking of using this for SD, use full-house loads not target stuff. Accuracy is on par with the Camp 9 that I had. Personally, I wouldn't use this for anything beyond 50 yards due to the cartridge. YMMV with 10mm or 357 Sig.

Love the fact that it uses Glock mags. Add the 33 round mags and it makes for a decent short range defensive weapon.
Old October 12, 2019, 05:47 AM   #3
fourbore

I will ask one of the larger shops is they might add a couple to the store inventory. This is something I would like to see. If not, then maybe take a chance and order one, sight unseen.
Old October 13, 2019, 07:06 PM   #4
precision_shooter

It was on my list when looking for a 10mm Carbine.
For 9mm, I went with the CZ Scorpion. Much more expensive but I think a better overall Carbine.

For 10mm, I’m looking at the Extar ep10. They also make the EP9 in 9mm. I like it over the tnw for its light weight, LRBHO, low cost, and design.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 15, 2019, 08:44 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

I almost bought one of these about six years or so ago. Could have had it for $350.00 and was very tempted. When I finally did get a 9mm carbine I wound up with a JustRight Carbine and have never regretted it. Uses AR trigger groups, stocks, grips, can be configured left or right for both charging, ejecting, it's accurate, reliable, and can be had in many different models and calibers.
Old October 16, 2019, 04:34 AM   #6
DukeConnor

I have the pistol version in 45. Acurate,fun and reliable. It is a very interesting design.
No regrets buying it.