The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 14, 2019, 02:50 PM   #76
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Third, understanding that there will be consequences for using a gun regardless of the outcome.
when faced with a criminal attack those consequences are of no consequence to the victim.
Old October 14, 2019, 06:34 PM   #77
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
when faced with a criminal attack those consequences are of no consequence to the victim.
LOL
Old October 15, 2019, 06:54 PM   #78
corneileous

Does a Springfield XDE 45 count as a mouse gun? I had a Ruger LC9S as my carry pistol but since I’ve become so accustomed to hammer-fired pistols, the little Ruger wasn’t gonna do it for me anymore so out with the old, and in with the new...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old October 15, 2019, 07:36 PM   #79
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Does a Springfield XDE 45 count as a mouse gun?
Don't think even close. "Mouse gun" is more in the line of the Kel-Tec P32, P3at, Ruger LCP, Taurus Spectrum. Mostly 380 acp or 32 acp that will disappear in most any pocket.
Even Glock's entry, the G42 is too big to be a true "mouse gun".
Maybe wee need another term. Like "Hamster" gun. Same Idea as a mouse, but a bit bigger.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 15, 2019, 07:53 PM   #80
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Don't think even close. "Mouse gun" is more in the line of the Kel-Tec P32, P3at, Ruger LCP, Taurus Spectrum. Mostly 380 acp or 32 acp that will disappear in most any pocket.

Maybe wee need another term. Like "Hamster" gun. Same Idea as a mouse, but a bit bigger.

I think you may be right but I was part of another forum who kinda head a little bit of it’s head up it’s own ass where a few members felt as though if the gun fits in a pocket or doesn’t necessarily fit one’s hand then it’s a mouse gun.

But yeah, I figured the only real qualifying mouse gun I had was my NAA 22 magnum revolver, or maybe my Ruger LC9S....

Old October 15, 2019, 08:59 PM   #81
Nodak1858

Hamster gun, I like that. A Tokarev may fit in that, it's only 30 cal but have to have really big pockets to fit it.
Old October 16, 2019, 09:38 PM   #82
Nanuk

Quote:
Pulling a carry gun is for when you are out of options, avoidance and retreat if possible are the plan before that.
Which is why a mouse gun should be your last option. I carry a fullsize Glock 99% of the time.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 16, 2019, 09:42 PM   #83
Auto5

My "big" mouse gun is a Ruger LCP. But I have also carried a Bauer .25 and a NAA Sheriff in .22 mag. My EDC is a P365.
Old October 16, 2019, 09:49 PM   #84
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
in the late 80s the Bersa 383A was termed a "rat gun" because it was too big to be called a mouse gun but not of a "serious" caliber either. I guess this would have included the walther pp/ppk series guns.
Old October 17, 2019, 05:41 AM   #85
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
LOL
LOL, really?, JERRYS has a very pertinent point there jar, when your safety and life are on the line defending ones self or others with a firearm is what will take presidence, and a proper investigation will reveal that the shooting will be justified.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c

Last edited by silvermane_1; October 17, 2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old October 17, 2019, 07:33 AM   #86
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
LOL, really?, JERRYS has a very pertinent point there jar, when your safety and life are on the line defending ones self or others with a firearm is what will take presidence, and a proper investigation will reveal that the shooting will be justified.
Even a justified shooting will have very serious consequences.
Old October 18, 2019, 11:00 AM   #87
Cheapshooter

Quote:
A Tokarev may fit in that, it's only 30 cal but have to have really big pockets to fit it
Always thought a shortened up "compact" Tokarev, better yet M57, would be a really cool CCW gun. With the 7.62X25 round being a real zinger.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 18, 2019, 05:05 PM   #88
Armybrat

Been totin’ an LCP about 90% of the time since 2008 in a Desantis front pocket holster.
Old October 18, 2019, 07:22 PM   #89
Nodak1858

Quote:
Always thought a shortened up "compact" Tokarev, better yet M57, would be a really cool CCW gun. With the 7.62X25 round being a real zinger.
I agree, I would love to see a "modern" style plastic wonder gun in a 7.62x25. I have a fair share of guns in that caliber and I really like it, don't like reloading it so much but is a fun round. I do have a Zastava M70 in 32acp which is kind of like a baby Tok.
Old October 20, 2019, 07:09 AM   #90
dannyb

Given this endless argument, I would recommend looking at some of the articles available regarding stopping power and caliber. I would mainly recommend those citing actual data vs. opinions based on "common sense." One such would be an article by Greg Ellfritz:
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power

The main conclusion on caliber is that anything in the range of .380 - .45 is similarly effective to the point where the differences are negligible. Many other articles out there using differing methodology come to similar conclusions. Of course that doesn't settle the argument generated about whether the tiny difference is enough to stop a crazed 250 lb attacker flying on Angel Dust vs a crazed 210 lb attacker on meth.
Old October 20, 2019, 09:30 AM   #91
Nanuk

Quote:
The main conclusion on caliber is that anything in the range of .380 - .45 is similarly effective to the point where the differences are negligible. Many other articles out there using differing methodology come to similar conclusions. Of course that doesn't settle the argument generated about whether the tiny difference is enough to stop a crazed 250 lb attacker flying on Angel Dust vs a crazed 210 lb attacker on meth.
Based on one small look. It does not for example determine where the shot(s) struck or what type of ammunition was used. I say that is a flawed study.

In the end carry what makes you warm and fuzzy. I will continue to carry my 357 Sig and my magnum revolvers. Some will say anecdotes don't count but I am a believer.
Old October 20, 2019, 02:10 PM   #92
Bill DeShivs

Any gun is 100% better than no gun.
Any gun that can rapidly fire multiple rounds is much better.
The chance that you will have to use a gun for SD is remotely small. Often, the presentation of a gun will cease hostilities.
If one has to shoot, any hit will probably suffice to stop an attack. No one wants to get shot with anything. Only an idiot or crazy man wants to get shot twice.
Any hit will be painful. Pain and shock will stop most hostilities.

Of course, any CNS shot will stop hostilities immediately. Any other shot MAY not-regardless what caliber it is.

The ONLY sure, 100% stop from a handgun is the central nervous system shot. Barring that, you had better hope one of the above scenarios stops the attack- because blood loss takes MINUTES to take effect. Minutes are a very long time if someone is beating you with a pipe or shooting at you.

Of course larger calibers are more effective. HOW MUCH more effective, though? Enough to dress around 2 pounds of large gun-or would a 10 ounce gun in your pocket suffice?
Old October 21, 2019, 07:57 AM   #93
PSP

Bill DeShivs, well said.
Old October 21, 2019, 09:05 AM   #94
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Bill DeShivs, well said.

I wholeheartedly agree. I know it’s just a short-barreled 22 magnum revolver but I sure caught copious amounts of dung over on another forum I barely frequent anymore, for some days only deciding to pocket carry that little pistol. I realize it’s small and that even though the 2200fps vermin hollow-points I have loaded in it are probably nowhere near the advertised velocity that’s meant more for a rifle but still, I sure as heck-fire wouldn’t wanna get shot by it. Especially when the first day I got it, I was out playin’ around with it and put a bullet almost half way through a non-rotted 4x4 pressure treated wood post from about 10 feet. Sure seemed impressive to me.

I know there’s much better options to carry but don’t completely knock it cuz it’s small. Besides- I’m not going to be shooting at anybody that’s more than 5 feet away anyway, unless they’re already shooting at me or making me feel like they’re going to be.

I get it, something like that is probably better served as a back up pistol because it’s a single action only revolver that only holds five rounds and to reload it, you gotta pretty much completely take it apart but, even though it may not work in every self-defense situation, I would imagine that at least in some situations if somebody’s trying to hold you up or take your wallet and you pull that little guy out, they’re probably not gonna want any part of it.

Old October 22, 2019, 06:58 AM   #95
Nanuk

Quote:
Of course larger calibers are more effective. HOW MUCH more effective, though? Enough to dress around 2 pounds of large gun-or would a 10 ounce gun in your pocket suffice?
The answer for me is easy, the 2 lb gun. Not to mention my hands are so big that small auto's like the Shield and the 365 do not do well, forget anything smaller.
Old October 24, 2019, 01:35 PM   #96
Rogervzv

The answer for me is simple — the small gun. For me, even my Shield is kind of big to carry. I usually carry either my Jetfire (25acp) or my Tomcat (32 cal.). Occasionally I carry my Sig P238 which is a great carry gun if I am wearing a coat and so forth.
Old October 24, 2019, 09:22 PM   #97
rodfac

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that the purpose of a CCW holder in being armed is different than the objective of a law enforcement officer or for that matter a soldier. The civilian CCW holder simply wants to be able to force a bad guy to break contact and go away. A LEO needs to be able to apprehend and force compliance.
Great point Rogervzv.

The size of the gun may or may not matter to discourage an attack, but it probably does have significant positive attributes in an actual 'shoot in defence' situation, to wit: easier to shoot well, bigger controls, better sights etc. As stated in an earlier post, I usually dress around the gun, the P365 being the smallest one that I feel is good for day-in, day-out carry as a defensive piece. The mouse gun, a S&W Bodyguard 380, is only for the rare occasion when I can't carry something bigger.

We all live in different environments: farm, town, or city and individual/family needs differ widely. You must make your choices based on those needs. I'm satisfied with mine. YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 25, 2019, 11:50 AM   #98
Terminatorret

Dependability.
Accuracy.
Penetration.
Caliber.
Old October 25, 2019, 02:06 PM   #99
aarondhgraham

Define Mouse Gun please,,,

When I hear/read the term Mouse Gun,,,
I have always envisioned something in .22 LR or .25 ACP.

But in recent years the term Mouse gun is also being used,,,
To mean the small 380 pistols like the Ruger LCP.

In the winter I often carry a mouse gun in my jacket pocket,,,
It has a strong snap so I'm not afraid of dropping it by accident.

I like the fact that I can walk in parking lots with my hand on the gun,,,
I usually have my hands in my jacket pockets anyways as I hate wearing gloves.

My Mouse Gun is a Taurus 25-PLY,,,
This isn't my gun but it does show the ammo I use.

The little thing reliably spits 10 rounds,,,
As fast as I can pull the trigger.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 26, 2019, 05:37 PM   #100
Rogervzv

My Jetfire is small enough to carry in a jeans pocket or about any pocket. Since I got it on my CCW license I have carried it everywhere it is legal to take it. Before, I was often not carrying at all. That is the utility of a small pistol. Love my Jetfire!