The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 27, 2019, 02:33 PM   #1
jamisdiablo

Colt .32NP Detective Special 1951 - Value?

Need help grading/valuing this revolver. It's not in terrific shape but is still tight and timing is great, cleaned up really nice, but it ain't new, but that's part of the appeal right?

Anyway, anyone wanna throw a number out there please? I'd like to sell it but am not sure if it's a $500 piece, $1000 piece or $1500 piece.

TIA!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf COLT1951.pdf (1.84 MB, 107 views)
File Type: pdf Colt19512.pdf (1.47 MB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf Colt19513.pdf (1.41 MB, 50 views)
Old September 28, 2019, 08:46 AM   #2
jamisdiablo

bump to top, please help folks, thanks!

bump to top, please help folks, thanks!
Old September 28, 2019, 10:01 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Due to the condition and the non-original grips, value is going to be a lower value.

The left grip is not even a genuine Colt grip.
It looks like someone replaced the left grip and rounded off the bottom slightly.

The gun appears in the pictures to have been refinished with a dull blue or parkerized finish.
It should have a bright polish Colt blue finish.

I can't make it out in your photo but it appears the Colt Verified Proof stamp on the left-front web of the trigger guard is missing. This would be a tiny "VP" in an upside down triangle.
This is lightly stamped and it's common for it to be polished off during a refinish.

The final inspectors stamp would be a letter on the left-rear of the trigger guard. It looks like this might still be present.

I don't keep up with values much, but the value is determined by the amount of original Colt factory finish, and on being all original.
The condition is hard to determine from photos but just as a guess from the photos and the replaced grips, I'd guess it is worth about $300.

Last edited by Dfariswheel; September 28, 2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old September 29, 2019, 07:50 AM   #4
jamisdiablo

Thanks Dfariswheel

I'll have to check those grips then, thought they were original but really have no idea. And I have more pics so I can check on the proof stamp easily. Yes, it's not in the best condition but still a rather unique piece I believe, simply based on the caliber its in. Thanks again!
Old September 29, 2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The original early 50's grips would be brown plastic, known as "Coltwood".
They would look like the right side grip that's on the gun now.

It looks like someone rounded off the right-front side of the right grip to match the replacement left side.
Old September 29, 2019, 08:34 PM   #6
jamisdiablo

So, if it were cleaned up real good, proof marks verified and put some original grips on it, would the value increase much? Maybe I need to go get it graded before trying to sell? Thanks again!
Old September 30, 2019, 07:31 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

Cleaning it up and installing ORIGINAL 50's Colt plastic grips would probably add little to the price.
The price of original Coltwood grips would be more than any increase in value.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Colt-revolv...oAAOSw0NNdUedX

Last edited by Dfariswheel; September 30, 2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old October 2, 2019, 12:18 PM   #8
jamisdiablo

Thanks Dfariswheel! I'll probably get the grips on and take it to my local range/shop to see what they think it's worth, then consider listing or not. Appreciate all the help.