The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2018, 09:46 AM   #1
KEYBEAR

How to Slickup a Holster

Got a new Holster for a Ruger Revolver what is the best way to slick it up inside .
Old August 10, 2018, 09:51 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Practice your draw at least 1,000 times. Don't do it for speed. Do it for smoothness. Speed will follow.

The "western" fast draw holsters of the 50s were slick because they had a steel insert that offered less friction between the holster and the gun. Bad for storage though (rust). You don't want to oil the holster and make it soft. So, draw, draw, and draw again.
Old August 10, 2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Rangerrich99

Not sure this is what you're getting at, but when I get a new leather holster I always wrap my gun in a piece of wax paper (I use Reynold's, but I don't think it matters much) and stuff into the holster, then leave it that way for up to a week. Holster seems a bit slicker after that.

I've got a buddy that swears by a little Teflon spray, but I've never tried it.
Old August 10, 2018, 07:56 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Leather Lightning

A small bottle of it came with a Mitch Rosen holster I recently purchased and I have been extremely happy with it.

Hmm. I thought it was a third party product, but in the process of searching for a link, I found the article linked above which indicates that it is actually a Mitch Rosen product. At any rate, it works very well and eliminates the need to stretch or soften the leather of a brand new holster.
Old August 11, 2018, 03:45 AM   #5
mag1911

I also have used Leather Lightning from Mitch and was happy with the results. You don't need or want to use much of it. I've also heard of people using something like Armor All to get a similar effect.
Old August 11, 2018, 08:10 AM   #6
muzzleblast...

No offense intended to previous suggestions: Leather Lightening, Draw-EZ, Quick Draw and other such "proprietary" holster "friction reducers" are typically repackaged silicone based dressings, such as this:

https://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/bo...e/?product=146

Albeit, at a greatly marked up price.

In John Bianchi's book "Blue Steel and Gunleather" he mentions treating holsters with liquid silicone to help reduce friction and enhance a smooth draw. Be careful not to use generic silicone aerosol spray lubricants, such as the CRC product. Aerosol sprays typically use acetone, or other hydrocarbon solvents, as a carrier for the silicone and can damage holster finishes.

Another product that is applied to leather to help smooth leather is gum tragacanth:

https://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/edge-finishes/

Apply to the inside of the holster and rub it in. Gumtrag helps bind the fibers to get them to lay down.

One more FWIW, you might try softening some paraffin, or bees wax, and rubbing it into the pocket; then with dozens of draws it should burnish and slick up.

Good luck.

Last edited by muzzleblast...; August 11, 2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:32 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

Assuming it's a leather holster and "slicking up" means smoothing, waxing it works. However, nothing beats wet forming to make the revolver fit better. Then waxing. Shoe polish is wax.
Silicone based dressings are hard on leather. And the first Fiebings link goes to a 404 error.