The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Grey_Lion

Different Winchester Headstamps ?

A nagging curiosity -

Does anyone here know why Winchester seems to have so many different headstamps?

Is it a factory designation?

Is it historical?

Is it an ammo grade indication?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg win headstamps.jpg (101.7 KB, 177 views)
Old August 9, 2018, 09:36 AM   #2
zeke

Am guessing it is from differing contractors that made Win bulk rounds over the years.
Old August 9, 2018, 10:08 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Quote:
Different Winchester Headstamps ?
Winchester went out of business in 1929, I believe Winchester used WRA as the head stamp. Western/Olin purchased Winchester cartridge; so? The last cartridge manufactured by Winchester had to be about the time Winchester got out of the hardware business in 1929. After that there was WW or Winchester Western, Winchester etc., all of that mixed in with WCC or Western Cartridge Company.

F. Guffey
Old August 9, 2018, 06:13 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I can think of about six other Winchester headstamps aside from the ones in the pic - at least.

They have been one of the more popular manufacturers of ammunition for a lot of decades. A whole bunch of headstamps is no surprise to me.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:58 AM   #5
pete2

I see some of recent that strongly resembles S&B brass in 45ACP. See some strange looking Federal stuff also.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

WMA is apparently stands for Winchester Military Ammo and is used exclusively by their Oxford, Mississippi, plant.

Which is somewhat odd, given that .40 S&W isn't a military cartridge. My guess is that they load it at the plant between military contracts and simply use the headstamp to designate manufacture location.

But, most companies have a variety of headstamp styles, and have had for many years.

No clue whether there's a rhyme/reason for it or not.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 10, 2018, 10:06 AM   #7
kmw1954

During the months were it gets either too hot or too cold to be outdoors and I get completely bored being retired I will go thru and sort brand head stamps, 5 or 6 Winchester, 3 or 4 Federal and the 3 or 4 Remington. Not that I truly believe it's going to make a difference but it is something to do that is gun related.
Old August 16, 2018, 10:38 AM   #8
Grey_Lion

After not finding a solid Winchester contact email, I did discover that they maintain a facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/WinchesterOfficial/posts/

I dropped the question there - see if we can get something closer to a definitive answer.

Update - found 2 online contact forms and posted in both - Hopefully we'll get an answer from them as neither one was a "complaint" :-)

Last edited by Grey_Lion; August 16, 2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old August 16, 2018, 10:21 PM   #9
Grey_Lion

Got a reply to one of my 2 submitted notes - "The information you requested is considered proprietary information and is not published, sorry for the inconvenience."
Old August 17, 2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

The ones labeled WMA-## are the military style headstamp with the number being the last two digits of the year it was manufactured. May have been government agency ammo.

The upper right case is stamped NT for Non-Toxic, meaning it used a lead-free primer (DDNT sensitizer rather than the standard lead styphnate sensitizer) and a bullet whose lead core was completely enclosed. These are mainly for indoor ranges concerned with lead contamination.

The ones that spell out Winchester vs. just saying WIN are variations I've seen for as long as I can remember. I've got .357 brass from the 70's and 80's that are some of each. It may be, as Mike suggested, that these stamps just identify different source facilities.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 17, 2018, 11:44 AM   #11
F. Guffey

Quote:
Got a reply to one of my 2 submitted notes - "The information you requested is considered proprietary information and is not published, sorry for the inconvenience."
Quote:
proprietary
I have a few BMG 40 30/06 cases. I did not insist they were Browning Automatic Machinegun and I did not insist they had a pattern on the case head that could have been used to off set the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head; BUT! That explanation would have been an easier sale that than the truth.

F. Guffey