The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 9, 2018, 09:58 AM   #1
AKolomiets

Suggestions for custom bolt action work?

I have a barrel blank and action ready to go for a custom bolt action rifle project. Do you guys have any suggestions or past experience with gunsmiths capable of barrel threading, action blueprinting etc? The guys I used fir a previous project were terrible at replying to calls and emails
Old August 9, 2018, 11:20 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Where you are matters. So does what brand of receiver you have. And exactly what you want done. A target rifle isn't the same thing as a hunting rifle.
Having a rifle built is a time consuming thing too. Most smithies who do it think in terms of months to a year or so to complete one. Busy guys.
That's usually why they're slow responding to e-mails and phone calls. The latter being the worst. Every minute spent on the phone with you takes 'em away from the work bench.
Old August 9, 2018, 12:40 PM   #3
AKolomiets

I understand that, and allow for it. At the same time, it shouldn’t take 3 weeks to get a question answered from a commercial gun shop. The work was done well on my previous build and the months of lead time is to be expected, just looking for any shops you guys have used in the past that you consider a good deal and good overall experience
Old August 10, 2018, 09:55 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

We were taught that at college. Best machinist in my class is Lew. He may be reached at: https://www.facebook.com/thronearms/

Mind you, Lew has to work as a machinst four days a week and then gets to play 'smith on his weekends.
Old August 10, 2018, 05:32 PM   #5
hooligan1

What action? How much do you want to spend?
What kind of stock? What chambering?
It matters.
Old August 11, 2018, 12:14 AM   #6
Scorch

There are many, many gunsmiths in this country that are capable of turning out a truly spectacular custom rifle (myself included). But choose carefully, because there are also many, many gunsmiths in this country who are capable of totally ruining a custom rifle build. Ask to see examples of the work and ask to speak with customers who bought a rifle from that particular smith. But, no matter what, a good action with a good barrel properly chambered and crowned should shoot very, very well or it's not worth the money you spend.