The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2018, 07:58 PM   #1
snakeye

New Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro

Ok you Lee fans here is a new toy for us...a new progressive press...delivery in April

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html
Old February 20, 2018, 11:01 PM   #2
kmw1954

Been following the new Lee presses all year from the new Value Turret to the new Pro1000 to yes this brand new example the PRo4000.

They all look like they have made some nice upgrades and should ease some of the complaints, but I doubt it.

Some new promotional videos of them in action would have been nice. maybe highlighting the upgrades. Last night I looked through the new user guild listed on their website for the new Pro1000. If they would offer just a bare upgrade press I might consider it but I'm not going to buy a new press just to have one.

The new Pro4000 does look interesting with 4 stations. Makes me wonder if this will be the new Pro1000 four hole press I've been hearing about.
Old February 22, 2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Real Gun

Probably not something I as an established reloader would need, but I expect it to be a new and better option for the beginner or someone who is not shooting high volume. Powder measure leakage would kill it, so I expect the autodrum would be the best choice there.
Old February 23, 2018, 06:37 PM   #4
lee n. field

Note that the shell plate is sold separately. $25 each.

I'm interested, but will wait to see reports from early users.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 23, 2018, 07:41 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

After you add all the stuff needed to load shells, one might as well
buy a Dillon.
Old February 23, 2018, 09:06 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
buy a Dillon.
But you get a free wrench!
Old February 23, 2018, 09:47 PM   #7
hounddawg

I still use my old faded Lee to depin because it actually catches the primers. The Rockcrusher spits them all over my bench and floor. As far as I can tell there is no difference in the quality of ammo produced. I do prefer to full length size on the RCBS because it is beefier but the Lee got that done for many years. Lees hand primer has a lot more feel and gives a more consistent primer seating than my RCBS also
Old February 23, 2018, 10:01 PM   #8
snakeye

Quote:
jaguarxk120

buy a Dillon.
Really! Only a blue cool-aid drinker would say that There is no basis for that statement.

Last edited by snakeye; February 23, 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old February 24, 2018, 12:24 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

The press comes with nothing.
EVERY necessary accessory to load ammunition must be purchased separately.
Old February 24, 2018, 01:21 AM   #10
rock185

Haven't had any blue Kool-Aid lately, but have used Dillon equipment for years. For years prior to my first Dillon press 30+ years ago, I used RCBS, and have some Lee gear. Wonder what would it cost to set up a new Lee Breech Lock Pro to approximate a Square Deal B ?
Old February 24, 2018, 01:43 AM   #11
kmw1954

Gee, just a quick look thru Titan Reloading.

New Dillon Square Deal; $424.95

Lee Pro4000
Press
Shellplate
Dies, 4 pistol
Safety Prime
Auto Drum measure
Plus the universal case feeder
breech lock bushings

$298.00

Or you can deduct $35.00 for the case feeder seeing as the SDB doesn't have one.

Now that the Pro4000 is a progressive compare it to a 550 BL or C.
Old February 24, 2018, 02:08 AM   #12
kmw1954

I'm sorry there are 4 bushings included so deduct $17.50 so total would be $280.50

Or how about compare it to a new model Pro1000 also from Titan for just 194.49 complete.
Old February 24, 2018, 03:01 AM   #13
1stmar

No rifle other than 223 and 30cal carbine. Looks like it could serve dble duty as a single stage or progressive, youd think it would support more rifle cartridges.
Old February 24, 2018, 10:12 AM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
The press comes with nothing.
EVERY necessary accessory to load ammunition must be purchased separately.
shell plate, $25.

powder measure, either a Pro Autodisk or Autodrum

Lee die set, 3 or 4 die set, depending. (Doesn't have to be Lee, but their powder measure integrates with their expander die, so you kind-a need that.)

Safety Prime (which I understand is what this system is using).

Except for the shell plate, I've already got all this. For a "naive end user" with nothing, this will bump the price up to around what the Loadmaster is.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; February 26, 2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old February 27, 2018, 04:35 PM   #15
rock185

Thanks for the info KMW.
Old February 27, 2018, 05:11 PM   #16
flashhole

Is it just me or do the parts of the press colored red look like plastic?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 27, 2018, 06:53 PM   #17
kmw1954

Powder coated!!!
Old February 27, 2018, 08:11 PM   #18
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmar View Post
No rifle other than 223 and 30cal carbine. Looks like it could serve dble duty as a single stage or progressive, youd think it would support more rifle cartridges.
I've never understood how rifle cartridges can be reloaded on a progressive press in a practical manner.

I would think you only need a progressive if you are loading hundreds or thousands of rounds per session. That seems to imply for a semi-auto. I can't imagine a bolt action being used to shoot enough to not be able to be done on a single stage or turret. Am I assuming wrong about this? And if loading for semi-auto rifle then you need to check case length and perhaps trim/chamber/debur after FL sizing. Does that not interrupt the whole progressive cycle?

At least the way I load for AR15 and M1 Garand, I end up using my turret press only for straightwall cartridges, and take out the auto index rod and use it as a single stage for rifle cartridges.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 28, 2018, 11:26 AM   #19
Real Gun

Quote:
I've never understood how rifle cartridges can be reloaded on a progressive press in a practical manner.
For the semi-auto, I think the case feeder is the key. You use it to feed sizing-only and then come back after case prep and use it to feed prime, powder, expand, seat, and crimp. I haven't used Lee's version of a case feeder for anything but 9mm, wondering about its use with the length of 223, but on the LNL AP with the powered collater everything went pretty well.
Old February 28, 2018, 01:19 PM   #20
hounddawg

I have found a progressive useful for cranking out .223 for AR's, use a nice ball or flake powder and you can pump out enough for an extended plinking session in less than an hour

If I had it to do over knowing what I know now I think I would went with a good turret. Wife was doing a lot of pistol at the time but little these days so the progressive stays under the bench mostly