The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 21, 2019, 03:47 PM   #51
chaim

Not quite duplicates, but almost triplicates...

I have a CZ P01. I always wanted a PCR, when I finally decided it was time, I couldn't find one but did find a P01. Then about a year later, I found a great deal on a "blemished" CZ 75B Compact and bought it. So, not quite a duplicate, it is a bit heavier (all steel) and DA/SA with the ability to start on SA (the safety works in SA, you have to manually decock it, while the DA/SA P01 has a decocker and no safety as well as being lighter aluminium). Shortly after the 75B Compact (a week or two after), I picked up a PCR which is basically the exact same gun as the P01 but without the rail. So, there are some differences, but they are three compact CZ 75 based guns that have the same action, same feel, and shoot the same.
Old December 22, 2019, 04:49 AM   #52
scorpion_tyr

I have a triplicate of Taurus G2’s. Was thinking about getting a Glock, but the G2 felt good in my hand so I picked it up and used it as an EDC for a few weeks. With the leftover money I ended up buying two more, one to keep in each car.

Having the same gun in three different locations has really made life easy. I can’t carry at work so there’s no point in taking my carry piece with me if I’m going straight there and back. On the rare occasion I have to stop somewhere along the way I have the exact same thing I carry in the car along with an extra mag and inexpensive concealment holster.
Old December 22, 2019, 09:32 AM   #53
chaim

Quote:
I have a triplicate of Taurus G2’s. Was thinking about getting a Glock, but the G2 felt good in my hand so I picked it up and used it as an EDC for a few weeks. With the leftover money I ended up buying two more...
That is the thing with Taurus. I no longer 100% trust them, but I have started buying them again. If you can't afford the better gun, well, there is no decision. If you can, Taurus has always had some interesting designs and innovations (right now, I'm really in love with the 856 concept- a snub just a hair larger than other J-frame sized guns but that holds 6 rounds of .38/.38+p). While their quality control isn't what the other big makers have (or used to, there are some SIG, S&W and Ruger stories the past few years), they do have a lifetime warranty. Also, you probably didn't pay any more for those 3 G2s than you would have for one Glock. That is what put me over on my 856. I was looking at the Cobra, vintage Detective Specials and Agents, the S&W 66, and I don't remember what else (I wanted a 2" .38 that held 6 rounds), and it occurred to me that with the price of the 856 if I got a bad one I could get a 2nd one at the price of the other guns plus have quite a bit left over for practice ammo, while the chances of getting two bad ones were quite low. So far, I'm happy with my 856 and I've been thinking about picking up another (my 856 is the lightweight aluminum version, I may pick up a steel 856CH and replace my 1991 vintage 5-round Taurus 85CH).
Old December 22, 2019, 10:14 AM   #54
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim View Post
That is the thing with Taurus. I no longer 100% trust them, but I have started buying them again. If you can't afford the better gun, well, there is no decision. If you can, Taurus has always had some interesting designs and innovations (right now, I'm really in love with the 856 concept- a snub just a hair larger than other J-frame sized guns but that holds 6 rounds of .38/.38+p). While their quality control isn't what the other big makers have (or used to, there are some SIG, S&W and Ruger stories the past few years), they do have a lifetime warranty. Also, you probably didn't pay any more for those 3 G2s than you would have for one Glock. That is what put me over on my 856. I was looking at the Cobra, vintage Detective Specials and Agents, the S&W 66, and I don't remember what else (I wanted a 2" .38 that held 6 rounds), and it occurred to me that with the price of the 856 if I got a bad one I could get a 2nd one at the price of the other guns plus have quite a bit left over for practice ammo, while the chances of getting two bad ones were quite low. So far, I'm happy with my 856 and I've been thinking about picking up another (my 856 is the lightweight aluminum version, I may pick up a steel 856CH and replace my 1991 vintage 5-round Taurus 85CH).
I understand completely! I was very hesitant to spend any money on any semi auto Taurus (except the PT92 line). The thing felt so good in my hand that I’m glad I did! I’ve probably put over a thousand rounds through two of them and I haven’t had a single problem. I’ve been super impressed with them. The only thing I don’t like is that if I don’t move my fat fingers during a quick reload the magazine has a tendency to pinch my pinky.

I’m certainly not a super rich man, but I am blessed enough that I could have bought three Glocks. I did end up getting a G17 and I have shot many others and no matter which model or generation I still don’t like the triggers. They are great firearms, but I personally shoot better with that Taurus than any of the Glocks.
Old December 22, 2019, 10:54 AM   #55
chaim

Quote:
I’m certainly not a super rich man, but I am blessed enough that I could have bought three Glocks. I did end up getting a G17 and I have shot many others and no matter which model or generation I still don’t like the triggers. They are great firearms, but I personally shoot better with that Taurus than any of the Glocks.
Every time I look at a gun where Glock has something in the niche, I do check out the Glocks. So far, I have yet to buy one due to that trigger. Actually, when I bought my (1st gen M. Pro. 2nd gen Millennium) PT 140 Millennium Pro I picked it over the Glock 27 and 26, and those M. Pros of that generation were not exactly known for a nice trigger. At this point, I'm not rich, but I can buy any handgun I want within reason. Some just mean more time to save up than the others. Yet, I still buy Taurus at times, and one of my next guns may be another Bersa Thunder .380 (I sold mine years ago when I figured there were, and I had, other guns that better fit the use I had for it, and I didn't see myself having as many guns as I do so I got rid of it).
Old December 22, 2019, 04:29 PM   #56
veprdude

I can't stop buying XDMs from Pawn Shops. They are commonly mis-marked as XD and hence, cheaper. Many many sub $300 XDM-45s and XDM-9s.

That and SKS rifles. Can't pass up $300 Norincos (and not the overused ones on today's surplus market).
Old December 29, 2019, 10:26 AM   #57
Carl the Floor Walker

Picked up my 3rd Pico the other day. This one will be a safe queen.