The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2019, 02:12 PM   #1
jjavedas

10mm and clays

has anybody worked up any loads w/clays in 10mm hodgdons doesn't have any data, and I'd like to think i'm smart enough to think I shouldn't try something without asking first.
By the way, this is being fired from a S&W 610 revolver.

I've built some .45 acp target loads very soft shooting.
Thanks jj
Old December 4, 2019, 02:38 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...Hodgdon doesn't have any data..." Contact 'em and ask if they have any. It probably has not been tested. However, other forums say Clays is too fast.
Barnes shows data for Universal Clays and their 155 grain bullet.
Old December 4, 2019, 04:29 PM   #3
FITASC

Clays works great in 45ACP, 38, and even in 9mm...............if there is no data, there is a reason for that.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 4, 2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

It may be the minimum pressure requirement. When you get fast powders up to higher pressures, small charge weight errors make bigger differences in peak pressure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 4, 2019, 09:56 PM   #5
SHR970

Contact Hodgdons and provide them the same information INCLUDING the gun to be used. The reaso there is no data most likely is that their data was based on operating the usual suspect 10mm firearms.....SemiAuto pistols. They have a much narrower operating window than a revolver.
Old December 4, 2019, 09:59 PM   #6
HighPrimer

Quote:
Clays works great in 45ACP, 38, and even in 9mm...............if there is no data, there is a reason for that.
Pressure/velocity testing is a time-consuming and expensive process for loading manual makers. None can test all appropriate powders, so choices are made limiting those tested. And since Clays is listed for the .44 Magnum (and others) by its distributor it should be appropriate for the big 10.

Lyman does list one pressure-tested load with Clays in the 10mm, under the Sierra 190 HP. So it must be appropriate. Maybe not the best...

Old December 4, 2019, 10:04 PM   #7
TX Nimrod

True, just because there is little data does not mean the powder is not a decent choice. There are so many powders available today, no one manual publisher can develop data for all appropriate powders.

OTOH, no available data could mean it’s not a good choice. Not much data for Bullseye in the .338-378 Weatherby....

.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old December 4, 2019, 10:45 PM   #8
AgedWarrior

Oregon Trail lists a load for 155 grain reduced load using Clays. Pretty fast powder for 10mm, limited use at best.
Old December 5, 2019, 01:25 AM   #9
zxcvbob

Can you find data for .40 S&W? Start there. There's probably no 10mm data because it wouldn't have enough gas or recoil to operate a semiautomatic.
Old December 5, 2019, 09:23 PM   #10
SHR970

Having looked at past published sources....there is data available. That said I go back to my admonition... call Hodgdon's. Tell them the application and they can & will provide you guidance.

Clays is ost likely ADI AS30N.. feel free to prove me wrong OR go from there.
Old December 6, 2019, 08:57 AM   #11
AgedWarrior

I would imagine Clays would give some reasonable and light target loads for the 10mm that would work okay in the revolver, but might be borderline in a semi. Should make some mouse fart loads for the wheel gun though.

I think Universal would be a better target load powder. There are several good powders for the 10mm...Clays is an unlikely candidate.
Old December 8, 2019, 10:53 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Jjavedas,

Comparing Hodgdon data to QuickLOAD by adjusting QuickLOAD's powder model to better match Hodgdon's measurements, it looks to me like 150 to 180-grain jacketed bullets over 3.2-3.5 grains of Clays will give you jacketed target velocities with pressures in the .45 Auto target load pressure range. Lead bullets may be loaded lower. I don't know details like the lengths of your barrel and cylinder and be cautioned this is not data tested by me or by Hodgdon, so you have to watch out for loads that stick in the barrel due to more gas bypass and barrel/cylinder gap pressure bleed-off than I can accurately allow for. Be careful never to shoot another round into a bullet stuck in the bore, as that can be the end of your gun. If you have a chronograph, see if you can tune loads to be 750 fps-ish from a 4" revolver barrel and 800 fps-ish from a 6" barrel.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 15, 2019, 01:35 AM   #13
jjavedas

10mm and clays

I want to thank everybody for the response, and found Hodgens does give load data for .40 S&W, and could use this as a baseline. I may try this in the future,but in name of safety, and I'm very fond of my eyesight and hands, if hodgens(or any other component manufacturer)doesn't list a load there is probably a good reason.
Besides i'm very happy with the results i'm getting from alliant BE-86.
Like all the smart guys say , safety first.
Thanks again JJ
Old December 15, 2019, 10:37 AM   #14
Road_Clam

Excessively fast burn powders in many instances can cause semi auto "short stroking" causing FTF's . Not an issue in a revolver, but 10mm semi's already can be fussy feeders in the 1911 platform. Sometimes this occurrence can be offset by running a heavy projectile but in this case where data is very limited seems better just to select a more ideal proven powder.