The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2001, 11:28 AM   #1
Jeff, CA

Installing Videki trigger in Kimber compact

I'm considering ordering a short Videki trigger for my Kimber compact. I'm also thinking of installing it myself. Questions:

1. Brownell's has both blued steel and aluminum. What are the pros and cons of each? The one in the gun now is aluminum.

2. Is this a job for the amateur? Is it a "drop-in" installation, or is there some fitting involved? What kind of fitting? I've never had a 1911 apart (beyond field stripping), though I do intend to order the Keunhausen (sp) manual at the same time. Thanks.

Old September 7, 2001, 05:27 PM   #2
bad4u

Installing a trigger in a 1911 is not a difficult task, though I doubt you'll really find a true 'drop in' trigger. You will almost certainly have to do some filing and polishing to fit a new trigger to your specific gun.

I lost track of some web addresses dealing with trigger fitting, but I think a good place to start is www.blindhogg.com.

Kuhnhausen's books are outstanding, but I think the best first book for 1911 shooters should be the 'Wilson Combat 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual', available for $10.50 + shipping from Wilson Combat.

Blued vs. aluminum is absolutely no one's business but your own.

Have fun with your project!
Old September 8, 2001, 04:52 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jeff, both will have steel bows so it's a matter of personal preference between the blue and alum. The trigger will need to be fit to the frame. It's a matter of painting the bow with dykem blue, installing the trigger and mag catch, working the trigger about 50 times then remove and polish the silver areas. Repeat until the trigger will move freely. I like mine polished to the point where I can point the frame at the ceiling and the floor and the trigger will fall both ways by itself. George
Old September 8, 2001, 07:54 AM   #4
seanmac45

Trigger Fitting

Try this link;

http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000013.html

Using those directions I successfully replaced a short trigger on my SA with a long one.

Remember: Once installed perform all safety checks and when about to fire load ONE round in the mag, then two, then three until you are sure that everything works correctly.

Good luck.
Old September 8, 2001, 11:52 AM   #5
Jeff, CA

Thanks for the info & links. It looks like something I can handle.