The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 18, 2016, 08:22 PM   #1
brotherg

Just bought a Uberti 36 pocket 5.5 but...

So, I bring it back to the Ranch this evening. It is all covered in that new grease. All I wanted to do was get the grease off so I could check it out. Grease is gone but the wedge will not go back in. I am out of town, so I do not have my gunsmithing tools. I do not want to mark it up but the wedge will not go back in. I have gently pounded it with a plastic screwdriver handle, wiggled it around to try and get it line back up but nothing will get the wedge back in.

Questions: Is it a bad gun, needs to be returned? Is there something simple I am missing? How do I get the wedge back in?

This is not my first Rodeo, I own several BP hand Guns and a couple of BP open frames.

Help!

I will pass right by the shop I purchased it from in the morning.
Old October 18, 2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Centurion

I suppose it is a Colt clone...

Are you trying to do so from the correct side? Remember it goes from left to right...with the gun pointed as if you're about to shoot...
Old October 18, 2016, 08:43 PM   #3
brotherg

Yea, from left to right. Never actually took it all the way out. Just slid it out far enough to get the barrel off and now it will not go back in. Colt Pocket Navy 5.5 inch barrel, made by Uberti.
Old October 18, 2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Centurion

Did you need to hammer it for the removal?
Old October 18, 2016, 08:50 PM   #5
rodwhaincamo

Since you will be going by that shop in the morning why not see if they can help?
Old October 18, 2016, 08:55 PM   #6
Centurion

Maybe the base pin turned clockwise or counter clockwise a little...

The best thing you can do is take it to the shop for checking
Old October 18, 2016, 10:27 PM   #7
Hawg

Give the muzzle a pretty good rap with a piece of wood to make sure it's seated on the pins. If it tries to start but won't go through you will have to bump it but it shouldn't take more force going in than it did coming out. Many of them are tough to get in and out the first few times.
Old October 19, 2016, 08:38 AM   #8
brotherg

Thanks for the help. None of that worked. On further inspection, the arbor is not seated and will turn. Going back. It was the end of the day and we were all in a rush and I really did not check the gun out. That is the whole point of buying a gun at a store, live and learn.
Old October 19, 2016, 11:30 AM   #9
brotherg

Well, buyers remorse has turned to sad I don't have a pocket Navy. Oh well, they had another but the arbor was twisty on it as well, but the wedge would go in and out. I know Uberti arbors are short but they are not supposed to move any are they?
Old October 19, 2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Trum4n1208

That's a first as far as I know. Never heard of an Uberti arbor moving around any. Yikes.
Old October 19, 2016, 01:43 PM   #11
BlackPowderBen

Strange that it has a loose arbor, I've had a couple of those, but with brassers
Old October 19, 2016, 03:31 PM   #12
Hawg

I never heard of a loose arbor on a new gun before. They're threaded in and are supposed to be pinned.
Old October 19, 2016, 07:22 PM   #13
44 Dave

Never had a pocket, but others have a dowel pin in from the back that locks the arbor.
Old October 19, 2016, 07:55 PM   #14
Centurion

Thanks for the help. None of that worked. On further inspection, the arbor is not seated and will turn. Going back. It was the end of the day and we were all in a rush and I really did not check the gun out. That is the whole point of buying a gun at a store, live and learn.

I told you...maybe the base pin (arbor) was turning clockwise or counter clockwise...
Old October 19, 2016, 09:36 PM   #15
brotherg

Thanks, Centurion, it was part of the problem. When I took it back the guy behind the counter could not get the wedge back in with a hammer. Not sure why these two guns had arbors that would move. I still want a pocket Navy just not sure where to find it now.
Old October 19, 2016, 09:46 PM   #16
BlackPowderBen

Midway Usa, Dixie Gun Works have them.
Old October 20, 2016, 09:02 AM   #17
brotherg

Twice bitten, once shy.

Last edited by brotherg; October 20, 2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old October 20, 2016, 07:03 PM   #18
44 Dave

Wouldn't trust those "guys behind the counter" with a screwdriver let alone a hammer!
How bad do you want a pocket pistol? If you can get a deal on one of those I am sure it can be made to be "perfect" by some one who knows open tops, like Mike at Goons Gun Shop.
Even if it's wedge worked there are adjustments and tuning that should be done either by your self or someone who does that sort of thing.
Old October 20, 2016, 07:43 PM   #19
brotherg

I do not mind working on my brand new out of the box guns. My Uberti Remington needed nothing, that I know of, I am sure it can be improved. My 1860 Uberti colt had a rammer that was a ball grabber, fixed that. It still needs the loading lever catch dovetail hammered. Have not done it yet but think about it often. My original Colt is 154 years of shim, silver solder, and rust (we call it patina) a wall hanger for now, shooter I do not know. As for fixing the arbor, it appears to be above my head and would rather not buy a brand new gun and then pay to have it fixed. I could buy, return, rinse and repeat. Not sure I want to do that probably will unless I can get my hands on one that works out of the box. However, Goons, will get at least one of my guns if I ever find myself competing. At this time I just fling lead in the general direction of a target.
Old October 20, 2016, 11:27 PM   #20
Hawg

Fixing the arbor isn't hard and if you get a Uberti open top the arbor will be short. If you want a brand new Police in the original size then Uberti is the only game in town. Pietta Police models are just short barreled navies.
Old October 21, 2016, 07:53 AM   #21
foolzrushn

brotherg

Just curious. You haven't said anything about the usual pin that keeps the cylinder arbor from turning.

Was it there on those two? I have an older '51 that doesen't appear to be drilled and pinned. On all my others, the locking pin is evident when you pull back the hammer.

Just wondered if they have changed the method of holding the arbor in place (Loctite ?), and the same guy missed doing that on those two at the factory?

Don't know who you were dealing with (chain or Local Gun Store), but they might haggle a good deal with you rather than sending them back as defective.

If they are not pinned, but could be fixed with a drop of Loctite and were discounted enough....I'd be tempted. And if the wedge hole in the arbor and barrel line up when the arbor threads jam tight, that might be the case. You may need to fuss with the short arbors anyway.

Swing deal on the pair? Just a thought...

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; October 21, 2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old October 21, 2016, 08:36 AM   #22
brotherg

I handled these guns in a perfect storm of rush. Just did not look at them that close. Should have gotten to the bottom of it but just didn't do it. I wish I had gotten the serials as well.

After reading the stuff on the arbor fix it would have to be a pretty good discount. I paid just shy of retail.

What would a smith charge to tighten up an arbor, assuming it just took a little pin pounding and/or Loctite?
Old October 21, 2016, 09:12 AM   #23
foolzrushn

Guess that would depend on the smith and shipping and such. I've not had any work done, just do my own. What I was thinking, was that if all you had to do was remove the barrel, put a flat screwdriver in the wedge slot in the arbor, and unscrew it....then that would be easy.

If the threads bottom out when the wedge slot is aligned, you could probably avoid drilling and pinning. I have looked closely and can't find a pin or any staking marks on one of mine. It seems very secure so far.

The Italians may decide at some point, that with a chemical seal/lock, the arbor is secure. That might be argued, but would save them manufacturing cost. That's why I asked about what you had seen.

Anyway, if all you had to do was unscrew it, Locktite it, perhaps stake it with a punch, and use some washers in the arbor hole to fix a short arbor....well that wouldn't be too hard.

But granted, you shouldn't need to do all that on a new gun. However since BP means 'learning to fix things', and if the price was right, I'd be tempted.

certified 'soap welder'
Old October 21, 2016, 12:50 PM   #24
44 Dave

The arbor needs to be turned tight until the shoulder stops against the frame, the factory should have done that before cutting the wedge slot. The slot can be "adjusted" to better align with the barrel.
On a new gun you should get a good discount to make it right, The gun shop should discuss this issue with Uberti.