The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2015, 12:07 AM   #26
oldreloader

Lee's works great for me.
Old March 20, 2015, 10:05 AM   #27
cwall64

Love my Redding G-RX Carbide Base Sizing Die Kit 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 10mm Auto. I never tried the Lee, but the Redding works great. Easy simple to use and it gives me a chance to look at each case and evaluate since I am doing it on and old RCBS single stage press. I mainly load the 10mm, so i haven't used on any 40 S&W's yet.
Old March 20, 2015, 10:32 AM   #28
TheFineLine

I got in the Lee "el cheapo $30" single stage, Lee crimp die, and bulge buster kit with the plastic tub. All in for $70ish. I set it up next to the progressive last night. I debulged 200 complete rounds and 300 additional cases. Even though it is a carbide sizer I went ahead and used lube on every 10th case or so. The single stage is all aluminum and with the force I had to put on it I'm afraid it would break. It was a breeze with them lubed. This is a great solution. I will upgrade the single stage at some point.

I see now how it could work in the progressive. You'd just have to pull the stem out of the shellplate and reinsert every time it indexes. It would work but would double the time so $30 well spent on the single stager.
Old March 20, 2015, 01:27 PM   #29
Nick_C_S

Quote:
You'd just have to pull the stem out of the shellplate and reinsert every time it indexes.
That sounds like kind of a pain in the keister. I have no experience with a progressive. Isn't there an easy way to disable the indexing? Or maybe buy 4 or 5 stems - to put in all the shellplate slots?
Old March 20, 2015, 02:36 PM   #30
TheFineLine

There is no way to disable it that I'm aware of. It would kick each stem out on station 5. Although you COULD do it, I spent the $30 and bought the cheap single stager.
Old March 20, 2015, 07:37 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

Quote:
kick each stem out on station 5.
Ohhhh, thaaaat's right. Forgot about that part. Like I said, I have no experience with a progressive.