The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 6, 2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Waspinator

Question about Choosing First Handgun

I’ve been trying out various handguns with some friends at the range to get a handle on what I want for when I get my permit (submitted, still waiting..). Out of the guns I tried, two stand out for different reasons. One, a .357 snub revolver (Ruger SP101) and the other a semi-auto .380 acp (Sig Sauer P232-Stainless).

Both guns look to be very well made, are fairly close in size and almost weigh the same (a couple ounces heavier for the SP101).

I really don’t want to make this a debate about caliber, but admit that subject is one of the things factored into the equation. I’ve read a LOT about the differences and don’t think that adding another thread debating the merits, or lack there-of, between thee two would accomplish anything. So, let us put that aside for now.

The real crux of the issue is as follows.

I’m way more accurate, especially considering I’m a new shooter, with the .380 acp Sig P232. Both while taking my sweet time and trying for fast follow-ups. It just seams that the gun shoots right where I “point” it. Where as the SP101 , while not bad, is no where near as “on target” for me. Now.. Everything I have read/learned tells me that the .357 revolver is more versatile (.38 /.357) , effective (more power) and most likely more reliable (ye ol’ revolver vs. semi debate).

So, on one hand I have a gun that I’m very accurate with, but a bit “up in the air” about the caliber and reliability. On the other hand I have a different gun that I also like and I am more comfortable with the caliber and reliability aspect, but not sure if I could ever match my accuracy of the first.

I guess the question , perhaps putting aside caliber/models, would be….

Would you go with the gun you are more inherently accurate at shooting, or do you go with the gun you rationalize is the “better” choice and hope you could shoot it as well as the other, given time?
Old May 6, 2013, 04:27 PM   #2
csmsss

Here's a dirty little secret - .357 snubbies are not the massively powerful handguns you're probably thinking. There simply isn't adequate barrel length for all of the pressure that cartridge is developing to get that pill up to speed - the stuff I've seen shows only very modest increased velocities from a .357 snubby vs. a .38 special snubby - but a whole lot of extra bang and flash.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Erno86

Your best bet is probably a Speer Short Barrel 135 grain Medium 357 round.

--- George Orwell
Old May 6, 2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Ben Dover

In my experience, a snub nose is an expert's gun. It has a place as a conmcealed carry gun, but not as a general purpose pistol, in my opinion.

I do often recomment a .357 magnum to a new shooter, but in a meduim or heavy frame such as Ruger's GP100, ot the Smith and Wesson "K" and "N" frames, with a six inch barrel. If the pistol is for home defnse and range use, the longer barrel and heavier frame are very advantageous.

The SIG P232 is an excellent little pistol within it's limitations. Again, it is primarily designed for concealed carry, although the low recoil asnd accuraqcy make it a suitable general purpose pistol..

Your decision should be based on whatever gun fits your hand properly and comfortably, in whichever calibre you shoot well.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
deepcreek

Depends on what you might use the gun for.? Self defense situations are different then shooting at the range, different factors come in to play.

Which gun feels like you would retain it better in a fight? draw better? easier to grab on the fly in the dark? easier to carry?
Old May 6, 2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Erno86

Between a 38 Special and a 357 Magnum...the 38 Special will have less of a chance to make your eardrums bleed --- while shooting in a bedroom --- compared to a 357.

--- George Orwell
Old May 6, 2013, 05:11 PM   #7
DaleA

There are *lots* of handguns out there. Maybe try some more before you make your decision. Some of the small 9mm guns may shoot as well for you as the P232 yet give you a bit more power.

If it HAS to be between the .357 and the .380 I'd go with the .380 but ONLY because you say you shoot it better, but I'd still say try out other guns.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:28 PM   #8
tomrkba

Attending a two day defensive pistol course will clue you in upon what you need rather than what you think you need. You will have much more proficiency and will be able to place the gun in a tactical context (which overlaps with many action pistol games) for an overall better choice.

If you still have no idea, buy a Glock 19. It is an efficient weapon for carry while providing palm support and decent sight radius. These features will help you learn to shoot. It also has no sharp edges (you will learn about that in your course unless the gun has been cleaned-up). It needs no work out of the box except to install night sights and attach a Streamlight TLR-1.

The P232 has a few downsides. First, 380 Auto is too weak. Second, the double action trigger tends to be heavy and long. Third, it is a low capacity single stack gun. I thought the sights were a bit small.

Last edited by tomrkba; May 6, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Waspinator

Oh, I did forget to mention the use.

I'm looking for something to keep next to the bed at night in something like a gunvault (have kids). The shot gun, all the way in the closet, inside the safe, just seams to far away for grabbing something quick. I would feel more comfortable with something I could deploy fast while the wife rounds up the kids and grabs the shotgun. I also want the gun to be on the smaller size so that I can carry (most likely IWB holster).

I also find I like the heft of smaller steel guns over the poly/lite alloy that are more common. So, my search has been focused on guns such as I mentioned in post #1.

A couple of replies focused on .38 special vs .357. That shouldn't be factored at this point, since the SP101 (or any .357 for that matter) could fire either or and finding what works for me in that particular gun can come later.

This is more of myself trying to figure out if it is better to buy a gun that I can shoot well right out of the gate vs. a gun that I don't shoot as well, but that has greater potential in the long run. Hard to explain and I hope I'm getting my thoughts and concerns to come through in my writing.

Quote:
DaleA Wrote:
There are *lots* of handguns out there. Maybe try some more before you make your decision. Some of the small 9mm guns may shoot as well for you as the P232 yet give you a bit more power.
Oh, I will continue to keep a look out. Thing is, like mentioned above, I like the smaller guns to have some heft to them (steel). If you can think of some models, of like size of the two I was looking at, in steel, then it would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me some.. so I can keep a look out
Old May 6, 2013, 05:39 PM   #10
tomrkba

Quote:
Oh, I will continue to keep a look out. Thing is, like mentioned above, I like the smaller guns to have some heft to them (steel). If you can think of some models, of like size of the two I was looking at, in steel, then it would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me some.. so I can keep a look out
SIG P229
Springfield EMP in 40 S&W
Browning Hi-Power (needs work out of the box)
Kahr K9 or T9
SIG P220

Frankly, the SIG P229 is likely a great choice given the purpose of nightstand duty. The P220 is one of my favorites, so it has to be in the list. It is a great gun that will do a great job guarding your home.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Colt46

Your first handgun will be CCW?

If that's the case I don't think your carry gun should be your first. A good first gun would be a medium framed 3-4" revolver. Nothing fancy just a sturdy gun you can learn to shoot on. Snubbies come with a bit of a learning curve. They are not(especially the .357) easy to shoot well as a starter weapon.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Flashover2011

Honestly, I'm not an expert but what if you buy the gun and find yourself needing it next week? I would say buy the gun you shoot the best, I shoot my witness carry .45 and that's only because I have terrible accuracy with a .40 glock. Who cares how much power the caliber has since most SD shots aren't fired more than 20 ft anyway. I say buy what you can shoot comfortably.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Waspinator

Quote:
Colt46 Wrote:
Your first handgun will be CCW? If that's the case I don't think your carry gun should be your first.
What if it was going to be my only handgun? I don't know.. I mean, doesn't it make sense to learn on the platform you would like to use and become proficient with it? I mean, I don't really see a place for a larger handgun for me. If I buy a handgun and the purpose would be to carry it, then that is what I'm bringing to the range to practice on. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just curious as to why I see people subscribe to the idea that people need to learn on bigger guns. (seriously, I might be missing something being new to handguns).

Disclaimer: The person typing this message has the tendency to jump into things with both feet. So, when this poster uses the theoretical question "What if it was going to be my only handgun?", In reality would probably have a fairly large collection in short order. It is a sickness that creates much eye-rolling from this posters spouse. From classic cars to explaining why this poster needs several guitars at home in each room and at work...
Old May 6, 2013, 08:44 PM   #14
s4s4u

If you can shoot the little auto accurately, go for it. I am not a fan of the 380, but it is "adequate" if the shot is placed well. I also shoot a DA semi better than a DA wheelie, it is a more natural stroke. I prefer SA, and the little Sig P238 is a sweet 380. The Sig P938 is a similar sized gun in 9mm, which would be my choice for a small auto. Main thing is that you can hit what you are aiming at.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Buzzcook

If you're more comfortable with the Sig P232, then that's the gun you should get.

Most people would recommend at least a 9mm but it's more important that you are accurate.

imho you're making a mistake relegating the shotgun to 2nd choice. It shouldn't be that difficult to get the shotgun out of the safe at bed time and put it back when you get up.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:25 AM   #16
shaunpain

I think you should figure out exactly what you want out of the gun out of the gate. I wouldn't consider accuracy, because honestly, you can get good with anything if you shoot it enough. If the gun needs to be carried, I would probably go with a small autoloader. I'll echo what many have said. I think a .357 out of a short barrel is impractical and very comfortable in the 4"-6" range. I might consider carrying a small .38 snub if it just had to be a revolver. I'm personally more of a fan of single stack single action guns for almost anything. You just can't go wrong with a 1911 for power and ergonomics.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:52 AM   #17
deepcreek

Quote:
I'm looking for something to keep next to the bed at night in something like a gunvault (have kids). The shot gun, all the way in the closet, inside the safe, just seams to far away for grabbing something quick. I would feel more comfortable with something I could deploy fast while the wife rounds up the kids and grabs the shotgun. I also want the gun to be on the smaller size so that I can carry (most likely IWB holster).
I think people should choose what is most comfortable for them, having said that.

As a nightstand gun I choose a 2.5" 357,

-I have shot revolvers for decades and can shoot them with my eyes closed, half asleep or in a fog. The average home as a dead bolt that can be kicked open in less then 1sec. 1 sec someone can be inside the average home. It usually takes 1 sec to place a hand on a night stand gun and another 1sec to realize where you are and what is happening.

-It usually takes more then 1 shot and many gunfights end up retention fights and grappling matches. A semi auto will only fire one time if someone has hold of the slide(double hand retention) or the slide gets caught against a body, so a 16 shot can turn into a single shot that need racked or possibly un-jammed. Very bad situation.
A 2.5" revolver has enough barrel that I can double hand retain it and still fire it without blowing my fingers off.

-At close quarters I feel like a 357 will rip a sufficient hole through a chest cavity.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Colt46

No worries

Guns are very personal. What works for me won't neccessarily work for my identical twin brother(who doesn't exist-but I'm trying to make a point). CCW is still pretty rare and size and weight are huge factors in deciding what works best for the bearer.
The two guns you are looking at are specialty guns that compromise in favor of concealability. If you are needing a bedside table gun you would do better with a revolver frame that will carry one more bullet, have a little bit better velocity, and easier recoil.
What I'm really trying to say is-get a little more familiarity with a gun before you decide on what role it will play for you.

I've got a 2.25" SP-101 in .38 that I LOVE. I cannot shoot it as well as a K-frame, Smith with a 4" barrel.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:35 AM   #19
TailGator

Quote:
In my experience, a snub nose is an expert's gun. It has a place as a conmcealed carry gun, but not as a general purpose pistol, in my opinion.
I largely agree with that idea. A snub revolver is not an easy handgun to shoot well, and can be frustrating for some people to learn on.

The P232 is relatively large for a .380, weighing roughly 80% more than the more common LCP. I have not shot the P232, but the P238 weighs about 50% more than the LCP and the recoil is noticeably better. That will have a lot to do with your overall performance with a handgun, both because lower recoil allows faster and more accurate followup shots, and because more recoil might make you more prone to develop a flinch.

I know you said that you don't want to debate caliber, but I feel I would be remiss if I did not urge you to shoot a 9 mm pistol before you make your purchase. More effective caliber at a lower practice price, and recoil is not at all bad coming out of all but the smallest pistols.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Revolver1

In a snubby, go with a six shot 38spl. With an auto go 9mm or 45 acp.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:50 PM   #21
22-rimfire

I seldom look at Sig guns, but I know they are well made overall. My post is going to wander around a bit, but I generally feel you are better off with a larger home defense gun and a smaller concealed carry gun. Liking them and shooting them reasonably well is a given.

First gun.... for home defense primarily, but might want to carry later....?

My sister was looking for essentially the same gun (revolver vs semi-auto). She lives in MD. She ended up buying a Taurus snubbie in 38spl because of the simplicity of operation. I suggested she mostly look at S&W if she was looking at revolvers. But she liked the feel of that Taurus revolver in her hand and it was available to purchase, so she did. There were NO S&W at the gunshops she visited; all sold. I just hope it functions well and it is not a lemon like so many Taurus revolvers are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CT has a magazine capacity law at 10 rounds I believe. So, the utility of getting a Glock 19 (middle size 9mm) is reduced somewhat. However, Glocks are so easy to shoot, are generally accurate after you get comfortable with them, and easy to take apart for cleaning and whatever other reason you might have. I would look hard at the Glock 19 and see how it feels in your hand. My mid-size Glock is the M23 (40 S&W) which I believe is an excellent choice for your initial needs. I keep mine loaded mostly at home, because I carry a small light S&W 38spl revolver for personal self defense outside the home when I carry.

The Glock 19 or 23 is harder to conceal than a smaller semi-auto, but you are more likely to be able to shoot it more accurately over a smaller pistol. Size matters....

40 S&W vs 9mm.... many experts believe that the added firepower of the 40 S&W does not justify the choice over a 9mm Glock because of the extra magazine capacity and slightly lighter recoil (hence control). I think I agree IF you can utilize the 10+ round magazines.

First, I would look mostly at 9mm or 40 S&W semi-auto pistols and skip 380 ACP entirely unless it is for your concealed carry gun. I do like the Glock 19 and 23. But, I really like the Ruger LC9, SR9C and SR40C models. The LC9 is pretty easy to pocket carry and you have added power and generally better ammunition choices (and availability under normal times) over the 380 ACP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revolver? Many really like the Ruger SP-101. I find them a bit heavy for regular concealed carry. Great gun however and you can learn to shoot it sufficiently well in 38spl, a caliber that is perfectly suited for someone who is likely to never have to use a firearm in self defense in their lifetime.

If I were buying a home defense revolver, it would in all probablity be a Ruger GP-100 in a 3" or 4" barrel length (or the SP-101 in 3"). You get an extra round over the SP-101 (6 vs 5 shots). They balance nicely and you can learn to shoot one in 38spl pretty easily. You would probably have a bit more trouble with 357's, but that is obtainable too. Don't overlook the S&W revolvers. The 686 is excellent! The Model 60 (small J-frame steel revolver) is very good but harder to shoot in 357 mag mostly due to its small grips.

I generally feel that your house gun should be purchased as a gun you can reliably shoot well and the concealed carry gun be purchased as a gun you don't shoot as often but due to its smaller size, it is there when you need it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only you can anwer that question about two versus one gun. Yes, you are spending more money. But I would deal with the first issue first and that is home defense to be employed in addition to the shotgun.

For new shooters, I almost always recommend a 22 handgun to learn to shoot with wether it be a semi-auto or revolver. Ammunition availability is good (except for the recent shortage) and practice is cheap. You would not be totally de-fanged just using the 22 for home defense if you are a reasonably capable shooter.

I like the Ruger 10/22 rifle for home defense too by the way. They are very reliable quick pointing guns and reloads are pretty quick even with the 10-round Ruger magazines. They are also a lot of fun to shoot. But they are not the most accurate of 22 rifles available out of the box; but suitable accuracy for most shooters.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:16 PM   #22
montanaoffroader

I'm a wheelgun guy. I keep a 4" Colt .357 next to the bed at night, and when I'm out fishing, hiking and hunting I'm usually carrying a revolver of some sort. I've been shooting revolvers pretty much all my life, and if I had to choose only one handgun it would be a revolver. I do keep a couple of small bottom feeders around because they conceal well.

In your case the Sig 232 seems to make more sense. You are comfortable with it, you shoot it well and it fits your general requirements. Can't really ask for more than that. My brother owned a P230 and it was a very nice shooting pistol, along with being quite accurate. Snubby .357's are not particularly noted for being comfortable to shoot.

In the end, you are the one who has to live with your choice. My advice (free to you and worth every penny!) is to buy the model you are more comfortable with. After all, you can always pick up another one later.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:33 PM   #23
JC57

My opinion is that if this is going to be your first gun, and you've narrowed it down to two guns that you perceive both of to have drawbacks, then maybe you should continue your search until you find a gun that is both effective AND you can shoot it well?

But you are wanting help deciding between two bad choices, and want to know the best choice for you? Ok, here it is. Get the .380. It what you want. The chances of you needing it in your lifetime are so small that I will refund triple the money you paid for this advice if you do and find that it's not enough gun for you.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:25 AM   #24
MarkDozier

First handgun you should get is a revolver in 22LR.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:40 AM   #25
craZivn

Not with the current scarcity of .22LR, he shouldn't!

To the OP, did you try .38 Specials out of the SP, or only .357 Magnums? Because there is a world of difference in controllability, and therefore accuracy, between those two rounds. And I believe, although someone else will have to confirm or correct me on this, that the .38 is still more powerful than a .380 Auto.

Ivan