The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 27, 2013, 04:50 AM   #26
SmokinSigs357

Get yourself a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm.
Old February 27, 2013, 07:52 AM   #27
Hansam

So now that I've gone over reading the thread again I think maybe justplainpossum is just looking for an excuse to get another handgun.

Seriously though I think you just need to re-learn how to shoot the gun you have correctly. Getting a different gun may not resolve the issue since it seems to me recoil is a concern if you're having problems between different loads in the same gun.

Of course if you're just looking for an excuse to get another handgun then go ahead and get what you'd like. Personally I'd get a 10mm handgun for the purpose you stated.

Oh and I agree with Moby on the point that you need to get some hunters in there to take out that group of pigs. What I disagree on is that I believe they should ALL be killed and not just the adults. Shoot them all and let the BBQ sort them out. If not the little ones can still grow to be adults and reproduce. Better to wipe them all out big or small. Besides the it is my opinion that the little ones taste better than the big ones. I've eaten feral hog in SC and FL and that's been my experience.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:05 PM   #28
justplainpossum

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Hansam, can't do it. I'm not going to kill the babies, I just can't do it, I know they grow up, but that's not going to happen.

Off to the gun range!
Old February 27, 2013, 01:00 PM   #29
NWPilgrim

JPP, it sounds like operating the Security Six goes fine for you, just not the sharper recoil with the magnums. You might consider a .44 magnum revolver but load it with .44 Specials or reduced load magnums. CCI Blazer ammo in .44 Magnum is a lighter, medium load and milder in recoil. I think Remington might make a medium magnum load as well. A .44 Special load would be very similar to a .45ACP in terms of recoil and bullet weight and velocity.

Ruger makes a 4" barrel Redhawk, and S&W makes a 4" barreled model 29 and 629 (stainless); and both revolvers come in other lengths to at least 7". Hoque makes cushioned rubber grips for both makes of revolvers as well that might be more comfortable for you in either your .357 magnum or a new .44 magnum.

If you go shopping at least look at the 1911 .45ACP pistols. Being a single action it has shorter trigger reach than many other pistols. There are many models to choose from in the $400 - $1,200 price range. I have a basic stainless Springfield Armory 1911-A1 and it has been super reliable with all ammo types and under harsh conditions of heat and fine dust/sand that jammed some other guns. It is nothing special as far as 1911 go, no modifications.

Something in the .44 Special - .44 magnum milder loads or .45ACP is a good balance of heavy and wide bullet without the sharp recoil of full power magnums.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 27, 2013, 01:13 PM   #30
justplainpossum

Thank you NWP!! I just put that on my list. I will try the .44 with special loads (even if it's too much for me, I'll be able to know that I gave it a shot). no pun intended, of course
Old February 27, 2013, 01:29 PM   #31
TacticalDefense1911

How about an AR pistol? Low recoil and a rifle caliber which will do well on hogs if it has to. Put a red dot scope on it and a single point sling to carry it around. These will be hard to find and a bit pricey right now but I bet that you could find one on gunbroker.com or other online auction sites. If I couldn't use a magnum caliber handgun, a rifle or a shotgun this is what I would use. Good luck!
Old February 27, 2013, 02:07 PM   #32
justplainpossum

Has anyone here used "The Judge"? I've heard very good things about it, but I'm still a bit confused about the whole concept.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:47 PM   #33
TacticalDefense1911

The Judge is a revolver that shoots 45 long colt and .410 shotshells. http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto...s=41&toggle=tr
Old February 27, 2013, 02:56 PM   #34
breakingcontact

Re: Semi and ammo recommendations please

Try different loads in the 357?
Old February 27, 2013, 02:57 PM   #35
breakingcontact

Re: Semi and ammo recommendations please

I don't know your location. But by me people would actually pay you to shoot them hogs.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:02 PM   #36
justplainpossum

So we have a winner! (drum roll...)

the Springfield XDM 45! Runner-up is the H&K USP.

Now all I have to do is actually FIND one!

I just got back, gunless, and there was a pig standing in my drive. That was kind of ironic.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:38 AM   #37
SmokinSigs357

Between the two, you'd be better off with the HK. Good luck!!! As a matter of fact, the HK45 would fit your hand nicely...forget the XDM and the USP. Go HK 45. Go look it up, the grip is unbelievable!!!
Old February 28, 2013, 10:57 AM   #38
Ruger45LC

Get a more comfy set of grips for your Security Six. The Hogue monogrip might not look as nice as wood, but they work and are more comfy. After that, use something 158gr or order you up some Buffalo Bore 180gr Hardcasts that clock 1400+ fps. Penetration is what you want and the .357 Mag is going to penetrate better than a .45 ACP.

Buffalo Bore also has a 158gr that is very nice, but I'd opt for the 180gr. However for the price, the Speer 158gr Gold Dot loads aren't bad and they penetrate deep. Just don't use the CCI Blazer 158's, they're a joke.

Last edited by Ruger45LC; February 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:30 PM   #39
hesitantly

"not going to kill the babies"? Better buy lots of ammo, then, or plan to stay in the house full time. Looking at your videos, I'd say you will have hundreds of adults, sooner than you think.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:48 PM   #40
captainrock39

My question is, is it you that can't shoot the little ones or nobody can shoot the little ones. If it is you take a day trip and let someone who you trust to take care of the probelm. If nobody can shoot the little ones then you will always have the pigs. On the other hand you won't have to worry about snakes cause the pigs will eat'em lol.
Old February 28, 2013, 01:25 PM   #41
justplainpossum

lol captain, I thought the same thing!! Haven't seen any copperheads at all since these buggers have been hanging out (knock on wood).

I know the problem with the baby pigs, I do; logically, I understand it. But I can't kill or allow to be killed a baby animal. Just can't. Well, that's not quite true; I've killed baby black widow spiders. And baby scorpions. But they're not animals. (boy, now I'm never going to get family to come visit me!)

Okay, I am going to check out putting a new grip on my .357. Thing is, it still is a little big for my hand, and I shoot slowly, and when I fired the XD and H&K yesterday, I wanted to blast away (wasn't allowed).
Old February 28, 2013, 01:33 PM   #42
Norde2AK

Semi and ammo recommendations please

My two cents... Buy a new or used S&W 686 + 4" barrel and a Hogue Monogrip to go with it. The grip on this should be no more difficult for you than your Ruger but the 686 4" barrel is very well balanced for handling heavy loads. For hog loads I would suggest Cor-Bon Hunter 200 grain Hard Cast rounds. They will drop a bear like a rock so I'm sure they'll handle a 350lb feral hog just fine. If you need a holster check out Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster that you can get with a chesty puller harness to go across your chest depending on your disability. Good Luck!
Old February 28, 2013, 01:47 PM   #43
Sgt127

I may be able to help you get a few killed off without much fuss on your part at all. Depending on where you are in Texas, me and my big kid may be able to come by and thin the herd a little!

(For those not in Texas, you may not understand just how far apart two people can be and still live in the same state.)

A bunch of friends of ours are just getting over run too. Particularly in East Texas.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:09 PM   #44
lcpiper

This is tough, really.

Personally I would stay with the .357 and bet on the killing power cause killing a wild boar is almost as hard as killing a bear, I wouldn't go light.

Part of the reason she can handle the .357mag is the weight of the revolver but that is also part of the problem. Go to a lighter frame and you probably get more recoil.

I am thinking maybe a 4" or 5" Chiapa Rhino in .357Mag is just the ticket.

It would lighten the gun by about 1/3 of a pound and my understanding is the recoil is milder as well.

Last edited by lcpiper; February 28, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:24 PM   #45
lcpiper

Try this link for some info, and I really want to post a piggy pic just for scale. Maybe I can avoid a deletion if I link it up right.

http://www.texasboars.com/articles/facts.html

This link is to a good pic from the same site. Tell me if you really wana go after one with your CC .45ACP.

http://www.texasboars.com/photopost/...album=1&pos=77
Old February 28, 2013, 11:35 PM   #46
justplainpossum

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their recommendations, you guys have been awesome.

But I have an announcement to make...

IT'S A BOY!!! After calling every gun store in the city, I checked back with one this morning and they just happened to get in two Springfield XDM's! They were very kind and put one aside for me. I'm going to see if I can trade some of my boxes of magnum ammo with someone at the sheriff's department in exchange for some basic lessons in disassembling and assembling, clearing out jams, and just learning all about it.

I'll post pics tomorrow!
Old February 28, 2013, 11:48 PM   #47
justplainpossum

I'm still trying to figure out what that poor pig did to get the mama sow so mad. My guess is -- nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myenH...ByuFzbMxkYvdrQ
Old March 1, 2013, 03:26 AM   #48
DaleA

Just a question justplainpossum - from somebody that's never shot a pig - how dangerous is a wounded pig going to be to you?

Full disclaimer: my hog hunting information mostly comes from having read old Skeeter Skelton stories about hunting javelina which might not be at all relevant.

Last edited by DaleA; March 1, 2013 at 03:48 AM.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:15 AM   #49
PatientWolf

I have to ask, because I don't have experience with hogs, but would .45 ACP be adequate for hogs?

The XDMs have great reviews, so you should like it. I love my H&K, you can't go wrong there either if they have one and you like it.

After reading your responses, I also wondered for a long gun if it is the stock that's the limitation, for some people it could be...If so, would a shotgun with a pistol grip be an option. One obvious limitation would be that it would not be a carry gun, but I didn't know if that would work for you or if you'd considered it.

Good luck.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:33 AM   #50
justplainpossum

I'm afraid that one or two shots from my .357 (which I can't fire very fast, or accurately) would not be enough; the 45 felt easier to shoot, I was surprised by how much better I was hitting the target, and knowing that I can rapid fire thirteen bullets into the sucker makes me feel a little better.

Tags
handgun , hogs , semi