The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1
ruger97DC

P97 magazine drops

Good day all, I bought my P97dc roughly 11 years ago firing it occasionally over the years but more frequently now I have a gun range near me. My only concern at the moment is that when I load a mag ( doesn't matter how many rounds in it ) it seems to drop the for the 1st couple of shots then tap and rack and it is fine after that, and yes I tested it out this weekend at the range and it does it with both of my magazines, I checked to see if my rather large hand was inadvertently hitting the release button but it is nowhere near it, I am thinking about replacing the mag latch and spring, any gunsmiths or P97 owners out there have any input on the subject.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Mosin44az

I am neither a smith nor a P97 owner but I did have a Taurus that did a similar thing, occasionally popping out. Look up the mag well and see how far the catch is sticking out. Might not be far enough. Your mag catch replacement idea is a good one.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
ruger97DC

That's what I was thinking, just need to find tools that will fit down there to pull the spring.
Old October 30, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
chris in va

First things first, take a q-tip and clean off your mag catch in the magwell. You'd be surprised how much junk accumulates in there.

Clean the inside of the magazines while you're at it.

After that, Ruger will fix it for you.
Old October 30, 2012, 02:05 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Yep, start by cleaning.

Auto-shuckers poop where they eat, and some of that crap makes its way into the mag release/catch. The design of the P-series' fairly unique mag release/catch allows it to keep from fully seating against its stops in the grip frame if there's too much crud.

If cleaning doesn't help, contact Ruger or see if you can get the parts yourself (Midway, Numrich, Brownells, etc). But, keep in mind that the release/catch is two parts, plus the spring; and Ruger tweaked the design at some point (~1999?).