The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 25, 2012, 08:37 AM   #1
dcobler

Shipping a firearm to California

I have a friend out in California that wants to buy a few of my rifles by paying me via wire transfer and me shipping the guns to him. Im not the best at reading through legal jargon but it seems to me that this is not going to be able to work. The three rifles in question are a Marlin model 60 semi-auto .22 tube fed that holds 17 rounds, an AR-15 with a handful of 30 round mags, and an AK clone with a handful of 30 round mags. He is military but has already been stationed in Cali for a few years so he cant do the whole "bringing my guns with me" legal thing since he is already there. Any advice or direction would be appreciated.
Old May 25, 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
oneounceload

First, any gun shipped across state lines MUST go through an FFL for transfer.

Second, CA has its own rules regarding what is legal there. You need to check to see if the guns in question are legal in CA
Old May 25, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
dcobler

The guns themselves are legal (from what I can understand) but not the hi-cap mags. Is this different since he is military?
Old May 25, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Is this different since he is military?
There's no difference if they're to be personally owned.

What make are the AR-15 and the AK? Some are legal; some are not.

In addition, many dealers are leery of shipping there because they have to register with the California DOJ and get approval, and there's an additional form that they have to complete and send.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
WW2

Do they have the "California Button"?

If the AR and AK do not have the "California Button" that requires a "tool" to release the magazine then they are most likely illegal.

At least one of my local FFLs said they would immediately return the rifle to the shipper and notify the BATFE of an illegal rifle being shipped to California if they did not have the "California Button".

Best to make sure the guns are LEGAL in California First, then ship to an FFL for your friend to do the paperwork for legal transfer to him.

Just my opinion based on my gun buying in California and my limited knowledge of the California laws.

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:06 PM   #6
armsmaster270

Its best to deliver the goods personally. Less problems, then go to dizzy land.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270
Its best to deliver the goods personally. Less problems,...
I sure hope you mean "personally to the transfer FFL in California." Otherwise you'd be recommending that the OP commit a federal felony as well as violate California law.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 25, 2012, 06:28 PM   #8
RAMZ707

Ak's and AR's are both legal here in California and the laws that revolve around these weapons change depending who you are. The best way to legally ship these weapons is to personally contact a FFL in the local area let him know what you have and who it's going to, and then he/she will give you better instructions of how you need to comply. As far as 30rd mags go, they technically ate not legal unless you are law enforcement or military, but at the gun shows here you can buy 30rd mags that are disabled and/or rebuild kits and assembled them yourself!!!
Old May 25, 2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZ707
Ak's and AR's are both legal here in California and the laws that revolve around these weapons change depending who you are...
[1] You can not categorically say that they are legal. Some, if in certain configuration are legal, and some are not legal no matter how they are configured.

[2] As to who you are, if you are law enforcement and have authorization from your agency, certainty semi-automatic rifles which would not be legal for private citizens might be legal for you. It would be up to your agency.

[3] For pretty complete information on California firearms laws, see The Calguns Foundation Wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZ707
...at the gun shows here you can buy 30rd mags that are disabled and/or rebuild kits and assembled them yourself...
One may buy disassembled high capacity magazines to rebuild or repair high capacity magazines owned in California prior to the ban. One may keep disassembled high capacity magazines in California as well.

But if one assembles a high capacity magazine in California, he has committed the felony of manufacturing a high capacity magazine.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 26, 2012, 12:20 PM   #10
dcobler

Neither the AR or the AK have bullet buttons and I know neither are on the list now that I have looked. I informed him that the sale wouldnt work. Thanks for the help guys and thanks for keeping me above the water on this deal. The last thing we need is for the BATFE to have more of a reason to look down on private sales.