The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 29, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
EricBella

what type of reloader would you suggest?

so im new to reloading. ive seen it done, and have done a little of my own (with my girlfriends grandfather) and i want to get my own setup. Ill mostly be reloading rifle rounds, and only 38 spl and 45 colt pistol rounds. would you suggest a classic Lee reloader or a turret reloader. im not looking into extreme accuracy reloading, its mostly for target shooting.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:57 PM   #2
dmazur

There is a "sticky" at the start of this forum -

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

which attempts to answer your question.

Bear in mind that you have to ultimately decide how much you are willing to invest in tools, what production rate you require (such as competition vs. casual target), and whether you consider reloading a hobby unto itself, or just a shooting support activity...

And it is very difficult to make these decisions with very little experience.

Which probably explains why there is a lot of used reloading equipment for sale...stuff that became "surplus" once that individual's needs outgrew their equipment.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just honest. It is very unlikely anyone can recommend to you what you should purchase.

There is almost universal "bias" for what the person making the recommendation owns himself. "Blue" vs "Red" color wars can go on for page after page...

Ignoring all of the above, the Lee Classic Cast Turret is recommended so often that it must be good. (Note that this isn't the aluminum one...)
Old February 29, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
EricBella

Thanks, yeah I read that. Ive been looking into this for a few months now. I think I may go for the classic press for now, (since its mostly rifle) its something that youll have for a long time, and then if when i get older and get into it more ill get maybe another reloader......get a lil at a time.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
scsov509

Quote:
I think I may go for the classic press for now
Good choice. A good single stage press is the best starting point IMO for someone just starting. It allows you to learn, it's inexpensive compared to other options, and it's something you'll still even if you go to full on progressive loading down the road.
Old March 1, 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
davery25

If you can take the plunge id recommend just going straight for a progressive like the Dillon 550 or 650. 2 years on and im really aching for a progressive now and will buy the dillon soon.

I don't think theres much chance of you giving up reloading. ive never heard of anyone giving it up once they're in really.

The other (main) reason for a progressive is that you're loading pistol cases which mean you'll need to do them high volume
Old March 1, 2012, 06:28 PM   #6
CrustyFN

I would also recommend a good single stage or the Lee classic turret. The classic turret can be used as a single stage press then when you want to load the pistol rounds faster use the auto indexing feature.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:32 PM   #7
hounddawg

Lee Classic is a good starting press. Progressive when they are running well are great, but they are all complicated animals and require a proper setup. I would never recommend anyone starting with one any more than I would recommend someone buying a high end rifle or pistol when they have never shot a gun. If you decide at a later date you want a progressive you can always EBay your single stage. I sold my first press for 80% of what I paid for it when I upgraded after using it for three years. Now I have a Hornady LnL and a Lee classic sharing bench space. LnL has pistol duty and the classic is for my rifle rounds
Old March 1, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
dacaur

I'm glad i started with a lee turret press...

One big advantage that I didn't even consider when deciding between a turret and a single stage.... The dies for each caliber stay together, and changing from one die to the next is as simple as turning the turret.... I can imagine with a single stage, you could quickly get a big mess of dies loading multiple calibers, with 2-4 separate dies for each one, vs just one turret for each caliber on a turret press....

Just something to think about

A turret functions just fine as a single stage too....
Old March 1, 2012, 10:06 PM   #9
hounddawg

Quote:
A turret functions just fine as a single stage too....
I think that is a good suggestion. Those can be run without auto index until you get the hang of it and the cost won't break the bank
Old March 2, 2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Kevin Rohrer

Starting w/ a single-stage or a turret is best for beginners. After a couple years, go for a Dillon.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old March 2, 2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Rifleman1776

IMHO, any brand except Lee.
A good single stage press will do all you need for a lifetime.
Loading in batches is not much slower than a progressive.
I believe in carefully inspecting my brass and rounds at every stage. You lose the ability to do that with a (much more expensive) progressive.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:50 AM   #12
wncchester

"IMHO, any brand except Lee."

Not that it matters but Lee has maybe 40% of the die market so either all those guys are dumm or Lee's dies are much better than some guys think.

Lee isn't my "favorite" brand but they sure work fine when I do use them. Actually, I have enough experience with all brands of dies to know they all work quite well if used correctly so I don't have a favorite across the board.
Old March 2, 2012, 01:19 PM   #13
Edward429451

Quote:
I have to agree with this. I believe he's talking about the presses, Lees dies are ok. I know a lot of people do a lot of good with Lee, there's all those threads seeking help with Lee stuff. You guys know of what I speak!

If you get a Rockchucker press, you'll never have to take part in a how do I make my red thing work thread. You can get on to learning to reload and bypass all the crap. Even if Lee does warranty your stuff, you still have frustration.

Show me a thread about a dissatisfied RCBS user. They are not there.
Old March 2, 2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Charley345

I have used a single stage Rock Chucker for ten years. Just bought a Lee Classic Turret last week so I could load a little faster. It is working great. I believe it would make a great first press for someone new getting into loading.

Chuck
Old March 2, 2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Dakotared

I my self am new to reloading and I bought the lee pro 1000. Now I have not ran much through this yet I have yet to see ANY of the problems that I have read about before buying this press. It took me maybe 30min to set it up out of the box and it came with no instructions on how to put it together.

Also IMO a beginner can learn how to load on a progressive just go slow, if something does not feel right STOP look figure out what is going on and move on. I started off at about 30to 50 rounds per hour.

So if you are thinking you will want to move up to a progressive I would save you money and just go there to start with.
Old March 2, 2012, 02:06 PM   #16
EricBella

cool, thanks guys! yeah i often reload my own shotgun shells, and with the way the price is for most ammo i figured i would try to start reloading brass
Old March 2, 2012, 05:32 PM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

My Lee Breech Lock Challenger still works after 2 years. Over 400 thousand pieces of brass processed on it in that time. It still works the same as it did the first night I bought it. I will bet someones elses grandkids will be using it years after I croak.

I never had to ask how to make it work. The turret press is user friendly if someone knows how to follow simple instructions. I know of 3 beginners that started with them, and they work just fine for them.

The Lee Progresseves from what I have seen can be cantankerous. The problem is most times the people that buy them, have zero experinece at reloading. They purchase the machine, bolt it to a bench, attach a couple of things, and expect to start pulling the handle and cranking out rounds. When it does not work because they do not know how to adjust stuff they come online saying how it is crap. Then people come on saying buy this blue one, or this red one, or go with green, then some wierdo says use the orange one. That said in some things you get what you pay for. The single stage presses made by Lee, and the Classic Turret are great press at a great price. They would be a great value even if they wer priced at what some of the others that are green, and made in china do(which usualy happens to be around twice as much)
Old March 2, 2012, 08:04 PM   #18
CrustyFN

Quote:
Loading in batches is not much slower than a progressive.
I have to see the video of you loading 600 rounds per hour on your single stage.

Quote:
I have to agree with this. I believe he's talking about the presses, Lees dies are ok. I know a lot of people do a lot of good with Lee, there's all those threads seeking help with Lee stuff. You guys know of what I speak!
I would have to agree with that on the Lee progressives. The classic turret and classic cast single stage are solid presses and you won't find many problems with those.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:18 PM   #19
whitedogone

I have had 2 single stage presses and am getting ready to buy a classic turret. Ain't much of anything made in the USA anymore that is priced LESS than chicom stuff. I'll buy US everytime when I get the chance.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:18 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776
Your opinion would carry weight if you had reasoned support for it.

My opinion of the Lee Reloader (the $30 aluminum single stage with simple ram linkage) is poor. But it is usable. My opinion of the Lee Classic Turret is that it is the best Turret Press ever made for under $500. (Commonly priced at around $85).

It is the only Turret that offers auto-indexing (except for the inferior Lee Deluxe Turret). The turret heads are affordable at about $10 each and if you need no more than 4 die stations per caliber work just fine. The External Turret Ring (as opposed to the center post design of other turrets) design maintains alignment very well and is very much easier to swap turret heads.

The Lee Auto-Disk powder measure is the simplest case-actuated powder dispenser I have ever seen and the Lee Dippers are the cheapest.

Their scale is accurate as any, but does leave a lot to be desired in operatility and readability. I know how to use a vernier, but many do not and this one is very hard to see unless you have the scale mounted at eye level.

Reasoning. It lends opinions real weight.

Lost Sheep
Old March 3, 2012, 12:03 AM   #21
Mac Sidewinder

What makes the Lee Deluxe Turret inferior to the Lee Classic Turret, and how do you tell the difference? I am about to buy a Lee Turret and want to make sure I get the better one.

This is the kit I am planning on buying:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785...dex-deluxe-kit

Is this the Deluxe or Classic?

thx
Mac
Old March 3, 2012, 12:16 AM   #22
dacaur

Thats the classic kit, the deluxe kit is about half that price, but doesnt include the safety prime, and just has a normal auto disk, rather than the pro, which is better. I wish that kit had been out when I got mine, only the deluxe came in a kit, which is what I got.... I would gladly have shelled out for the classic kit.

The deluxe has an aluminum base, the classic is cast iron, cast iron will last practicaly forever, aluminum WILL wear out.

The deluxe spits spent primers all over the floor (at least mine does) the classic has a tube under the hollow ram that collects them. (deluxe ram is solid, and about half as thick as the classic)

The upright supports on the classic are thicker (stronger) than the deluxe

The classic can handle longer cartriges. (more room between the top and bottom of press.
Related to that, the Classic can use the auto index on longer cartiges. I load .308 win on my deluxe, but cant use the auto index with them. I could with the classic if I were to upgrade.

The one and only place where the deluxe might be better, is I hear the auto index is easy to strip on the classic, its only a $0.50 part, but I suppost it could still be annoying. I dont see how the auto index on the deluxe could possibly strip. Of course, manual indexing isnt that big a deal, so even if it strips on a friday night and and you have no spares, its not like you couldnt still load....
Old March 3, 2012, 12:32 AM   #23
orthosophy

I DIDN'T do this, but if I'd have read this forum first I may have: Whatever is in your swap sheet.

I bought a RCBS Rockchucker kit, and fortunately, I like reloading, but it would have been way smarter to check the swapsheet and buy a used single stage press and maybe get some kit with it. Then after I'd done a few thousand rounds and decided I liked it; and decided what I didn't like, I could objectively replace the parts that may not suit me that well (or just decide its not for me for whatever reason).

I recently bought some gear out of our swapsheet and I bet I only paid 50 cents on the dollar for it.
Old March 3, 2012, 12:55 AM   #24
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewinder
What makes the Lee Deluxe Turret inferior to the Lee Classic Turret, and how do you tell the difference? I am about to buy a Lee Turret and want to make sure I get the better one.

This is the kit I am planning on buying:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785...dex-deluxe-kit

Is this the Deluxe or Classic?

thx
Mac
The link you posted is the Classic Turret. You should check out Kempf's kit, It includes a set of dies but not many of the other small items. The chamfer tool is nice to have, but you can buy one later (setting aside cases that need chamfering until then) Likewise all the other accessories. While the Kempf kit includes the dies, it lacks the essential manual and scale. But that allows you to choose your own preference for a scale and manual. (Many people do not like the Lee Scale because, while it is as accurate as any of the others, it is hard to use unless you accommodate to its eccentricities, like mounting it at eye level and learning how to use a vernier.)

Dacaur is correct on all his points. The Classic is far superior to the Deluxe.

Cast iron is more abrasion resistant than the Aluminum Deluxe, but if you keep it scrupulously clean and lightly lubricated at all times, it will be fine.

The Classic Turret has a taller opening than the Deluxe. Not only does this make it possible to load longer (rifle) cartridges than the Deluxe, but makes it easier to get your hand in to place bullets before seating, too.

The Classic's ram is larger diameter, spreading the load and abrasion over a larger area and also drops the primers very securely down the hollow ram into a flexible tube which can be directed into a collection bucket (and the tube itself can be capped to hold a couple hundred all by itself). The ram on the Deluxe is smaller diameter and solid, so the primers have to drop outside the ram and often miss the collection cavity where they are supposed to go,

I have no knowledge on the ease of stripping the square ratchet on the Deluxe vs the Classic. All I know is that it will last a VERY long time if you don't actually break it yourself. However, it is easy to break if you don't pay attention. All you really have to do is make sure you don't try to 1) go too fast or 2) move the turret in backwards direction while the ratchet is engaged. The ratchet is engaged when the last movement of the ram was downward.

Good Luck and welcome to reloading.

Lost Sheep
Old March 3, 2012, 04:08 AM   #25
bamalefty

old goodies

not to change the tread but anybody into guns cars bikes and such love these kinda things started dating a girl awhile back started talking bout guns (on the wall everywhere) and she said her dad use to reload and she would help him when she was young to cut it short i got an old ch single stage dies for 45 acp m1 carbine 38/357 redding scales with originalbox lyman powder measure with box & stand & loading manual all from late 50s early 60s in very good shape for 50 dollars the 1911 & m1a1 her dad has had since the 50s that she knows of is in the damp basement rusting away her brother n law deceided he wanted them when he found out i did even thou he knew they were down there all these years being a marine looks like he would have at least oiled them now and again anyway had to let the girl go i figured any family that would treat old classics like that wasnt worth keeping been wanting to learn how so got a good cheap way to start got 50 or 60 m1 carbine stripperclip mag loaders from same period if someone wants afew came from dad to