The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 5, 2012, 10:27 AM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

That self-defense is not accepted as a universal right stems from the belief that the right to life trumps all others. Thus, killing to protect yourself (and others) is not moral as you commit the evil act yourself that the BG is attempting.

The counterpoint is that the BG by attempting to end your life has lessened the value of his or her life to that below yours and thus their right to life is forfeit. But some won't accept the reducing of a value of life and thus you should sacrifice yourself to avoid taking a life. That's behind some of the religious views. Also, in the background of such is the idea that there will be an afterlife judgement, so even if you lose your life and the BG seemingly prevails - later - you get divine just desserts for your actions.

Interesting discussion but to me, it clearly points out that the property right folks are just acting on territoriality from some biological drive as making their castle paramount as compared to life.

Simply saying your right to control property is paramount because it is - is not an argument with rationality but simply emotional. The barking dog in the yard. Empirically, if you were a purist - you would not open a business as the state forces you to have a toilet and have the health inspector check your meat. Why not have the free market lead to patrons shopping elsewhere after your poison them? It's your property right not to refrigerate!!

I conclude the property right argument by those who open businesses to the public is inconsistent and mostly emotional.

PS - I have no use for the argument that you can't defend yourself, be a passive victim and a businessman/woman or employer is King Crappola of their Castle when it comes to depriving people of fundamental rights. Live on an island and defend yourself from pirates, matey!
Old February 5, 2012, 10:37 AM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This is not a question of self defense as a universal right. I don't see signs that say "Defending Oneself not Allowed on These Premises".
It's a matter of a device.

You can enter my business. You may not enter with a firearm. If you are attacked at my business, feel free to defend yourself. If the fact that you will not have a firearm available to defend yourself if you should be attacked makes you nervous, feel free to stay off my property.

Excluding a fundamental right is a straw man argument. Self defense is fundamental. Firearms are a modern tool.

The second amendment, and most others, have no application to private property.

The 2A isn't self defense. It's about modern tools.

I do not allow bullhorns on my property. I do not allow press cameras or satellite trucks.

No one is screaming about my violating their fundamental free speech rights. Yet, I can completely control those rights. I can say "No talking of any kind on this property!". Perfectly within my rights.

But I say, no guns, it's somehow abrogates a fundamental right? No. You can still defend yourself. Just not with a gun. If you don't like it (and I don't like it), go somewhere else (which is what I do).
Old February 5, 2012, 11:01 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm afraid the doctrine of banning modern tools hasn't surfaced in the long literature of self-defense. Interesting take though. How about banning modern martial artists - all those with black belts or a two week seminar in Krav Maga are banned.

The bullhorn if used is disruptive, the concealed handgun is not unless it is used to defend life.

Loud talking is disruptive also. The concealed handgun is not.

You can control disruption on your property.

BTW, some debate the 2nd Amend. is about muskets being ok.

The go elsewhere argument is a straw man used also in the civil rights debate. Blacks could go elsewhere but that fundamentally altered where they could live. Get another job - yep, during the Depression. Easy to do.

In certain areas, the store is a public convenience - without it, you cannot eat or get medicine. Go elsewhere is an easy thing to say.

Please move your toilets off your property or poison folks with your food. You property rights folks seem to avoid those constraints or lead marches for NO TOILETS in MY CASTLE. GO ELSEWHERE.

It's just monkey territoriality - have the honesty to admit it.
Old February 5, 2012, 11:14 AM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Are you saying I couldn't ban martial artists if I wanted? Why not?

This argument is just going in circles now. One side says guns are the same as being black, the other side says no their not. We go through a few posts and it's back to the same argument.

I have more rights to my property than whether or not you are disruptive. I can ban purple hair, short skirts, crosses, the Bible, the Koran.... Tickle-Me-Elmo if I want.

I can ban entire languages.

Does doing it make me a horses ass? Yes, it does. That doesn't mean I don't have the right.

It's not monkey territoriality either. It is protection of a most fundamental right. If I can't control my property, not absolutely but to a VERY high degree, all my other rights fall apart.
Old February 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

You are correct that we are at a stalemate.

Quote:
If I can't control my property, not absolutely but to a VERY high degree, all my other rights fall apart.
If I cannot protect my life and that of the others for which I have responsibility, not absolutely, but with reasonable efficacy, all my other rights fall apart.

- There is stands. I regard the decision between the two as emotional in part - except that I am correct - sorry.
Old February 5, 2012, 02:21 PM   #31
MLeake

With regard to the 2A being about modern tools as opposed to self-defense, what's that quote?

Something about, "An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity."

PK, please address the toilets and food inspection issues, with regard to absolute (or near-absolute) property rights in public businesses, too.
Old February 5, 2012, 02:57 PM   #32
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The peetza killa will address that question after the Super Bowl.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:57 AM   #33
MLeake

PK, I was thinking about this quite a bit...

Frankly, I don't have a problem with you, as a business owner, posting "No Guns."

I have a problem with the government, at any level, giving your signs the force of law with regard to firearms crimes.

Pretty much anywhere I've lived, if you as the business owner ask me to leave, for whatever reason, and I refuse to do so - I am liable for trespassing charges.

Depending on the manner of my refusal, that could result in a warning, or a fine, or a misdemeanor charge, or - at the extreme end of my possible manners of refusal - even a felony charge.

Why should the gun (unless it is employed in the course of the refusal) have any bearing?

Why should the government say that, because I had a gun, an encounter that would normally result in a warning or fine is now a potential felony and is cause for loss of permit?

Justify that one.
Old February 6, 2012, 06:32 AM   #34
arcticap

Quote:
I have a problem with the government, at any level, giving your signs the force of law with regard to firearms crimes.

Pretty much anywhere I've lived, if you as the business owner ask me to leave, for whatever reason, and I refuse to do so - I am liable for trespassing charges.

Depending on the manner of my refusal, that could result in a warning, or a fine, or a misdemeanor charge, or - at the extreme end of my possible manners of refusal - even a felony charge.

Why should the gun (unless it is employed in the course of the refusal) have any bearing?

Why should the government say that, because I had a gun, an encounter that would normally result in a warning or fine is now a potential felony and is cause for loss of permit?

Justify that one.
The best example that I can use to explain the logic is by comparing the firearm to a dog.
There are leash laws for a reason, because dogs present an inherant danger that must be recognized to exist. They cannot be absolutely controlled until it's too late and the damage is done. Even if it's simply going to the bathroom while it's on someone else's property, the dog owner can't control that. But the dog owner would have the property owner believe that he can, that he can control the dog from biting, from barking, from bringing fleas into a house, or knocking over a vase and breaking it.
The guest wants to claim that because the dog is on a leash that none of this can possibly happen, that the dog is not a threat to the life, limb, property or family of the property owner simply because it's on a leash, and that he knows and trusts the dog's behavior.
Well common sense and experience has proven that leashes aren't 100% effective in preventing accidents.
That leash can break and dog owners can be negligent in handling the leash. Just because the dog is on a leash doesn't mean that the dog owner can allow the dog to go within the "safety zone" of persons while on the property. That's the zone within the dog's bite, within it's range of property that can be damaged like the vase, or injured like children in the household, or the carpeting when the dog goes to the bathroom.
The leashed dog creates a special class of circumstances of threat levels to the owner and inhabitants of the property. So just because someone has the dog on the leash and is obeying the leash law doesn't mean that the dog has a right to be there.
And folks who don't want to acknowledge that's the dog presents a potential risk to everything within it's range, even when it's on a leash, are being willfully negligent.
So it's more than simple trespassing, it's willfully presenting a clear and potentially present danger to the property, life, limb and safety of others and their family. And it interferes with their human right to enjoy their life, liberty and happiness while occupying the safety of their own private property.
A person doesn't have a right to infect another person's home with fleas.
The only exceptions are for seeing eye dogs, a.k.a. - the police and law enforcement under due process of law. They are like the seeing eye dogs that have a right to come into your home just like law enforcement can when they are armed and on the job. And even they are limited by law about when they can come in to your home.
Who would want it any other way?
Now just think of the gun as if it were a dog.
A person can either simply trespass on their own all by themselves, or if they bring in their dog with them and even if it's on a leash, it's an additional willful misconduct. Just like drinking and driving which promotes car accidents. Why charge folks with being impaired when it's just an accident like any other accident, right? The answer is it's not just like any other accident because drinking & driving is willful misconduct. Even if an accident doesn't occur.
Above all, gun owners should be able to be trusted to not engage in willful misconduct.

Last edited by arcticap; February 6, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:19 AM   #35
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, 4 points:

1) Toilets. First, all business owners aren't required to have public restrooms. Second, I don't think any of them should be. Is it a wise thing to do? Yes, it is. Why should it be required? The free market would solve the bathroom problem in short order. Why is it the governments concern that you can tinkle at the restaurant?

2) Food safety. This is a massive public health concern that goes far beyond the borders of your property. You could make hundreds of people sick who never set foot on your property. That's why the government can control it. Notice it's only in regards to a larger public health issue.

3) The penalty. I agree that it should be simple trespass. The fact that you're carrying a firearm that I don't allow is no different than if I ask you to leave because you're using nasty language in front of the kids.

4) I don't think the dog analogy is accurate in so far as the danger presented. Dogs act on their own initiative and can not always be controlled. Guns do not do unexpected things and can be 100% controlled. However, dogs are the same as guns (or almost anything else) in that if the property owner says "No XYZ" then the answer is no and go somewhere else of you don't like it.
Old February 6, 2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Glenn E. Meyer

1) In San Antonio, you are required to maintain clean restrooms in restaurants. Thus, the NRA (that's a pun) should lead a charge to restore their fundamental right to have no bathroom on their property.

2) Food safety is controlled as a public health issue that affects many. Unfortunately gun ownership is defined many times as a public issue in that literature, by some government agenices and the antigun organizations that try to use the public health metaphor as a reason to control guns. Guns affect many.

Certainly guns cause harm to the public health and thus the government can override your right to defend yourself as many are harmed by such.

Why should a property owner expect the state to use its force to remove my fundamental right to protect myself - if exercising that right in no way impacts the store owner? It is your property but you use the state's force to do this. Use your own force to remove the CHL fanatics.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:00 PM   #37
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Some things, like the bathroom requirement, are so obvious that no one will fight them. Does that mean it SHOULD be a requirement? Why? What business is it of the government if one restaurant has a bathroom and another does not? If the people care, and they will, the one without will lose business and either build a bathroom or go under.

I don't care what the antis say about guns being a public health issue. They're not.

Actually, I am legally authorized to use my own force to remove a trespasser, no matter why I ask them to leave, save the few protected classes.

If I ban firearms on my property and someone brings one on and refuses to leave, you would like me to use force to remove them? I now have a trespasser who refuses to leave my property and is armed. Obviously, a reasonable person would prefer to avoid confrontation and would leave. Might boycott me or whatever but would leave. Unreasonable person with a gun and you want me to force them off my property?

This isn't about believing that guns SHOULD be banned. I don't believe that and have said so (and boycotted businesses) in the past.

It's about overly intrusive government getting all up in my business about stuff that they should frankly have NO policy, NO control over.

If you don't like that my restaurant doesn't have a bathroom, go to one that does. If it bothers enough people, and it will, I go out of business.

If you don't like that I say "No Guns", then go somewhere else. Go somewhere else. If there is no where else, pizza is not a fundamental human right. Live without it. Get all your buddies together (off my property), carry your guns and picket. Make me lose business. Perfectly within your rights.

My business is NOT required to exist. I can close tomorrow and you'd HAVE TO go without or go somewhere else. My policies, stupid as they might be, are mine to make and if you don't like it, go somewhere else.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:13 PM   #38
Glenn E. Meyer

By extension (always risky) - Peetza - is that the government should have little control over business and allow the free market do decide. That is a strict point of view but sometimes ideology can lead to a suicide pact.

A libertarian friend of mine said - I'm a libertarian of sorts but I don't want another Love Canal in my neighborhood - with the only solution being the free market.

I pointed out that businesses have used discriminatory practices to instantiate racial and religious prejudice. That hurt folks. I view discrimination against gun folks to be similar and trumping property.

We will disagree.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:56 PM   #39
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Like I said, food safety and things like love canal are obvious exceptions to government interference.
There has to be some government. You can't have anarchy. I said before that property control is not an absolute right. There are NO absolute rights.

But, there's a long way between regulations preventing entire towns from being poisoned versus telling a property owner they can't exclude certain objects from they property.

Oh, and Love Canal was largely caused/allowed by direct government action. So their attempts/claims to save us from ourselves should be viewed with skepticism at the very least.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 6, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old February 6, 2012, 05:42 PM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, let's let the dead horse float in the canal. The points are well made by all sides.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:33 AM   #41
ClayInTx

It’s amazing how a topic can vary. We go from a 30.06 sign to dirty toilets.

Anyway, about writing a letter to the hospital thanking them for their attitude:

They once had a sign for no guns, albeit not a legal sign, which means that someone on that hospital staff wanted no guns at some time in the past.

They have made no “Starbucks” declaration, so—

I suggest no letter and letting sleeping dogs lie.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:42 AM   #42
Frank Ettin
Staff

And that seems a good note on which to end this.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital no gun sign