The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 24, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1
oifcombatvet

Ankle Holster Consideration

I have a Taurus TCP .380 and I am looking for an ankle holster but don't have much experience with them.

I am right handed and am wondering what is best for drawing my weapon, inside or outside of the left or right leg, etc.

Scenario: On the ground, attacker on top what do you think would be easiest to draw from? etc, etc,

Also, do they make an ankle holster that I can keep my extra mag in?

Last question: what size is the weapon? I see options like 3-4"bbl or small frame auto .22-.25 cal. I just want to make sure I order the correct holster.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by oifcombatvet; October 24, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:35 PM   #2
SHNOMIDO

my two cents, almost literally.

outside right leg. why not? drop to your left knee, draw.

i HATE ankle holsters. i think you would have a hell of a time drawing in any kind of defense situation. and they are so uncomfortable.

Gimme your wallet! ok let me kneel down and fiddle with my pants leg...
Old October 24, 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
oifcombatvet

I carry an XDSC, the TCP is just a backup
Old October 24, 2011, 06:41 PM   #4
SHNOMIDO

yea i was gonna go in an edit, I would have different opinions about a backup. beat me to it.

i cant imagine anything being more comfortable, fast, and versatile than outside strong side.

personally i feel like inside i would be kicking it with my other foot all the time. and left as a right hander would make no sense.

to each their own.

I was considering an ankle holster for a NAA mini for "Illinois House Carry", but opted for IWB cross draw. like i said to each thier own.

I cant comment on your other quesitons.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Mobuck

I carried a small PPK type pistol for years in an ankle rig during the summer. It is not a quick draw setup but if you fall to the ground feigning a heart attack and flop around a little, you can make it work.Not exactly the best choice in general but if the choice is that way or no way, I''l take it. BTW I carried inside my left leg since it didn't make as much noticeable bulge.
Old October 24, 2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Mobuck

For what it's worth. If the attacker is on top of you, you'd better be using your hands to fend him off or go into a fetal position while drawing.
Old October 24, 2011, 07:40 PM   #7
9mm

I got a blackhawk ankle holster that fits a G27/G26 and it fits Ruger LCP in it.

Pics or it didn't happen? Blackhawk size 12

I think one gun in the waist and the other on the ankle is good, if you fall down/smash your gun you still got the other on the ankle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7916.jpg (237.5 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by 9mm; October 24, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:21 PM   #8
oifcombatvet

I appreciate it 9mm.

Is that an elastic band to go around the lower part of your ankle? If so, would it fit over a high top boot?

Thanks again.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

The little Taurus would be much more useful in your pocket.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:44 PM   #10
9mm

I agree pocket carry is better, it's your choice. The band is quite big, it is about 14 inches. I guess you could wrap it around a boot!

No it isn't elastic. It's like padded nylon for 6 inches then the other 8 is thin velcro. Which the padded nylon has velcro on it.
Old October 25, 2011, 06:12 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

all very tactical

Might I recommend the ankle gun be your second or third?
Might I say left leg inside?
Can I recommend Galco or Desantis?
Would you believe clear/check THAT gun after every day of wear?
Old October 25, 2011, 12:19 PM   #12
Jeff OTMG

At one time an ankle holster was THE choice for deep concealment or backup carry. There was not much pocket carry then. Mine is worn on the inside of the offside leg. It is very convenient draw while seated in a car, easier than pocket carry.

I have an Alessi, I don't know if they are still being made now that Lou is dead, and a Ken Campbell. Ken Null is also known to make a good ankle holster.
Old October 25, 2011, 01:54 PM   #13
Tiny ChickenFoot

I carried an AMT 380 Stainless, in an ankle holster for over 20 years 80% of the time as back up only. Like anything, you can get good at pulling it with practice. Not the ideal place but comforting to have it when there is no better place to keep one in certain conditions. Tried a couple brands as you should. Go to a show or big dealer and try them out for fit and comfort. I suggest one that has the upper stabilizing velcro wrap to go around your calf. Make sure it is secure enough to control weapon at a run or other hard activities.

I am right handed, and chose inside the left ankle as my standard carry spot. This was primarily to protect it from outside access and shelter from view. If someone were to go for it, I could use my right foot to protect it.

Wear Black socks and primarily black/dark shoes, running, dress etc. and only a pro will ever notice you have it.

Check out, Safari, Uncle Mikes and DeSantis

Good luck
Old October 25, 2011, 02:03 PM   #14
Tiny ChickenFoot

WESHOOT2's response made me chuckle and is a good point!

Although the AMT 380 on my ankle was comforting... my warm and fuzzy feeling most most likely due to the 4" Model 29 in my shoulder holster and Taurus 9mm in the pancake holster in the small of my back

-TCF
Old October 25, 2011, 11:15 PM   #15
oifcombatvet

Would the TCP fit in the 3-4" bbl category (bbl is around 2.8") or small auto .22-.25 category?

I appreciate everybody's help so far.
Old October 26, 2011, 01:12 AM   #16
9mm

I dont know, why don't you go with the Glock 26/27 size 12 blackhawk product ankle holster? It fit the LCP you saw in the picture.
Old October 26, 2011, 10:46 AM   #17
engineer88

Definitely not the 22 and 25 holsters. My Keltecs would not fit those and they have a much smaller trigger guard than the TCP. I tried ankle for a while but never could get used to it. Plus I wear shorts when I can, so that meant I was changing how I carried my backup a percentage of the time and I like to be consistent with how I Carry. Decided to go to pocket due the benefits it offers, like pre-staging my draw, etc. Strong side iwb covers me when sitting or standing for most occasions.

PS. I had an Uncle Mike's ankle holster and it was not all that comfortable. The Desantis looks way more plush in my opinion.
Old October 26, 2011, 11:05 AM   #18
steveracer

j-frame on the ankle

In a nice suit if I am going to have the jacket off (read: wedding) I carry a j-frame on the left inside ankle. I found the "apache" rig to be the most comfortable by a wide margin. I threw three others in a dumpster before I found that one. lined with fleece.
Old October 26, 2011, 11:56 AM   #19
oifcombatvet

9mm, I am getting the one you have for your ankle. I asked the bbl question in regards to a different holster I am also interested in getting.

Thanks for everyone's help