The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 7, 1999, 10:41 PM   #1
TLH

I got such a quick response with my first posting I thought I'd run another topic by ya'll.

I bought a set of "compound ivory" grips. At the gun show in Louisville KY this weekend a vendor mentioned giving the "compound ivory" grips an "aged" look with tea.

I hadn't bought the grips yet and like the dork I am I didn't ask him exactly HOW to do this.

The only thing I could think to do is soak the grips in a strong tea mixture. "Kinda" working.

Anyone know more about this. I have a old S&W Model 27 (3.5, blue) at the factory being re-finished. Going to be a wall hanger and I thought aged looking ivory would (magna type) would look pretty cool on it.
Old June 8, 1999, 01:52 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

TLH,

A lot of my cowboy shooting pards have also searched for a way to "age" artificial ivory grips. Some use tea,and they also score the surface with a razor knife to simulate the grain in real ivory. I've also heard of folks using leather dye,getting a couple of different colors and mixing them to achieve the desired result. From what I've seen,using tea doesn't really give the yellowish color of real aged ivory,but a sort of rust brown.

Bill
Old June 9, 1999, 06:42 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

TLH
I have used coffee. Use the left over breakfast coffee, put it in a pan, put in the grips and boil for about 4-5 min. The heat will expand any pores on the grips and allow penetration. Grips of course need to be completely submerged.

After air drying, apply an oil finish. In a pinch, shoe polish will prvide some protection.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited June 09, 1999).]