The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 29, 1999, 01:57 AM   #1
cmore

harley, ihave a mod36 ,nickeled and engraved,in the box with paperwork but no hang tags. it has been fired(not by me). cond vg to excellent.
how could i find out if the engraving is factory?if it is , approx. what would the value be?
cmore
Old May 29, 1999, 07:22 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

CMORE
According to my reecords, there are two model #36's. The Chief's Special and the Lady Smith. As you indicate it is nickle will eliminate the Lady Smith as this was mfg'd in blue finish only.

CHIEF'S SPECIAL
.38 spl, 5 shot, J frame, round or square butt, (discontinued in 1991). The 3" was a heavy bbl. and discontinued in 1994. It was mfg'd in nickel and blued finish.

According to the Blue Blue Book of Gun Values, 17th edition, the value of this piece, as issued, no engraving the value is $280.00.

I am told that the S&W custom shop does engraving, however, I have no way of identifying wheather or not yours was engraved there. Check over the paperwork, you may find something there that would indicate if Smith did the work.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 29, 1999).]
Old May 29, 1999, 11:00 AM   #3
cmore

thanks, harley. i've looked , but don't see anything to indicate if it's factory or not.
i appreciate your help.
cmore
Old May 29, 1999, 03:56 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Cmore and Harley,

One tip off to S&W factory engraving is that the factory engravers never engrave the cylinder where the cylinder stop rubs against it, as the stop would scrape the engraving. They always leave an unengraved band around the cylinder at that point.

This is not solid proof, as other engravers follow that scheme, but it is a place to start.

Jim
Old May 29, 1999, 04:15 PM   #5
P35

The S&W web site can tell you when your revolvers were made.They were very helpful to me with info on a revolver I have.

------------------
Old June 8, 1999, 09:14 AM   #6
TLH

This might help some. You can send a letter to the S&W Historian and $20 and get a letter of authenticity (I can't spell anything).
Doing so with a S&W Mod 27 myslef.

Roy Jinks, 2100 Roosevelt Ave. Springfield
MA 01104

Should be able to tell you if factory engraved and if they give you a letter to that effect may increase the value for you.
Old June 11, 1999, 11:26 PM   #7
cmore

thanks, guys i've already sent roy a letter, i'll try to post results when it comes. cmore