The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 22, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1
carprivershooter

M1 Carbine Information

I have on the bench a M1 Carbine I bought last fall I am just now going around give it a good looking over and trying to get a feel of it's history. The receiver is Inland with a SG stamp on the left front corner with a serial # 7944xx. the barrel is a Winchester with out a date stamp and the withness marks match. the triggers housing is Inland and the slide is stamped inside with a underscored PI the underside is stamped with a Z160091 or 160001 the last zero could be and over stamp and a J. It has a round bolt with a H stamped on the left slide guide with no other visable marks. the stock has HI stamped in the sling channel and on the left side is stamped inside a box KIA EB no other marks on the stock. I thought i saw a crossed cannon and wheel on the left side of the stock under the carry strap when i got the weapon but now I can't seem to see it The front sight has no marks. the top hand guard is double riveits with IO or OI stamped on the left front edge. There are no import marks on the barrel or receiver. The chamber ring is a 3/4 ring starting at 11 oclock ending at 4 oclock. I am guessing from my research it is a rebuilt. and not reimported. the barrel is bright withn no pitting and with good rifling, muzzel show no sign of damage. Cna any one add more information to this I thank you. Oh the bayonet lug in stamped AI.
Old March 22, 2011, 08:21 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Your carbine is something of a "mixmaster", though most parts seem to be correct for an Inland receiver. It most likely got that way when it was rebuilt in service, but later civilian owners may have contributed to the mismatch. The truth is that any carbine billed as "original parts" at this point in time was almost surely selectively rebuilt in the civilian market.

The SG is Saginaw Steering Gear; the mark should be on the trigger housing, not on the receiver.

The PI and number 7160091 (7 not Z) indicate an M1 slide made by Packard for Inland and modified to M2 configuration, almost certainly a replacement. OI is Overton, made for Inland; Overton, a furniture company in peacetime, made many stocks and handguards for the carbine. HI is Hillerich & Bradsby, a name familiar to baseball fans as a maker of baseball bats. During WWII, they made carbine stocks. "KIA"" is actually "RIA" (Rock Island Arsenal) where the gun was rebuilt at some point and inspected by "EB", Elmer Bjerke.

HTH

Jim
Old March 22, 2011, 09:16 PM   #3
carprivershooter

Thanks

Thanks Jim, I had done some research. There were a couple of manufactures i didn't know. I bought this gun from my brothers father-in-law He had had it for years. I think he may have had it or got it after he got out of the Marines. He is a Korean War Vet. I want to shoot it but need to have it checked out.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Winchester_73

Because M1 carbines, like many other guns, are a study all themselves, I recommend the book Bruce N Canfield's Complete guide to M1 garand and M1 carbine. I own it and its very comprehensive and well laid out. Its an interesting read and an indispensable resource for the garand and or carbine collector.
Old March 29, 2011, 02:30 AM   #5
stickhauler

Myself, I prefer the "War Baby" & "War Baby Comes Home" by Larry Ruth. Maybe a little more expensive reference books on the carbine, but way more accurate as to the information published.