The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2011, 02:18 AM   #1
sectshun8

12g slugs

What are some things to take in mind when consider getting a box or two of slugs for my 12g?
Old February 22, 2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Win_94

Does it have a smooth barrel or rifled?
Old February 22, 2011, 02:40 AM   #3
sectshun8

Smooth.

And since you made that point... what could/would the downside of using a rifled slug in a smoothbore be? And also a non rifled slug in a rifle shot barrel?
Old February 22, 2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Bernieb90

What is the purpose of the slugs? What type of shotgun is it?

The most common slugs we see in stores are Foster slugs. These work well in smooth bore shotguns out to about 75-100 yds. These slugs are made of soft lead, and they will typically flatten in soft tissue. These slugs are typically used for hunting thin skinned game, and for tactical applications.

Brenneke slugs are less common in the US, and also work well in smooth bored shotguns. These can be effective out to 150 yds, and are made of much harder lead. Penetration is the name of the game with no expansion. These slugs are good on large bears, hogs, and when barrier penetration is critical in tactical applications.

Sabot slugs are used in rifled barrels. These slugs are sub-caliber (often resembling pistol bullets) inserted in polymer sabots. Sabot slugs are used for big game hunting. These slugs can stretch the effective range of the shotgun beyond 200 yds.

FYI both Foster, and Brenneke slugs are often referred to as rifled slugs due to the spiral ribs on the slug itself. Sabot slugs need a rifled barrel. Firing sabot slugs in smooth bore shotguns will probably result in poor accuracy.
Old February 22, 2011, 07:29 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

After what was previously said... I look for my favorite cheap box of Winchester Super X 15 or so round count...

Just fine for me and my ol' guns.
Brent
Old February 24, 2011, 01:12 AM   #6
bamaranger

2-3/4", 3"

There are 2-3/4 inch slugs, and 3 inchers as well in 12ga.

A 3 inch slug kicks like a mule, especially in a light shotgun.
Old March 1, 2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Borch

Watch out for the Brennekes. They shoot well and are hard hitters, I shot all the way through a deer from front to back last season but the shells are sometimes just a hair narrower than American made slugs. MOre than once I've had the extractor on my Mossberg fail to grab a Brenneke shell tight enough to pull it all the way out of the chamber. I know some will say it's my gun but it's never done that with any American made ammo and I've shot all brands, Brenneke is the only brand I've had this issue with.
Old March 1, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
DG45

Hey sectshun8,

Rifled slugs are meant to be fired in smooth bores. With my 26" Improved Cylinder barrel they give decent accuracy out to about 45-50 yards. I know its ok to use rifled slugs in modern Cylinder, or Improved Cylinder barrels. I don't know whether it's safe to use them with any tighter-choked barrels than that or not. Maybe somebody else can comment on that.

If you have a shotgun with a rifled barrel, you can use "sabot" slugs which are supposed to be accurate (if fired from rifled barrels) out to about 100 yards. However, from what I've read, sabot slugs seem to perform no better than rifled slugs do in a smoothbore gun, and since they are much more expensive than rifled slugs, it wouldn't make sense to use them in a smooth bore. (Please note that I don't know this from any personal knowledge; just from what I've read elsewhere. I have no real hands-on experience with rifled barrels and sabot slugs.)

My experience is with one all-purpose shotgun, a 12 guage Remington Model 11 autoloader with an IC Barrel that was manufactured in 1937 or 1938. I have always used reasonably priced 2 3/4" Remington "Sluggers" in it, which can be found just about anywhere. I don't use a lot of them, but I use about a 5-pack of them a year and I've done that for many years, and have never had a problem with one, ever. Within their 45-50 yard accuracy range they're BIG hitters, and at least as effective on game as a 30-06 rifle bullet would be at the same range. I imagine standard Winchester slugs would be just as good.

I've heard that if you live in Alaska or somewhere else where you might realistically worry about running into a grizzly bear or Rhino or something, you might want to use Brenke slugs in a smoothbore since they are apparently harder than standard soft lead slugs and therefore may penetrate deeper. But regular Foster-type rifled slugs (for example, Remington Sluggers) give great penetration too, and they have a devastating impact, and are fine for any lower 48 big game, up to and including black bear, and personally, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a grizzly bear with one, especially since I'd have 4 more left if the first one didn't do the job. So in my opinion, for hunting or home defense, Remington Sluggers work just fine.

Last edited by DG45; March 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old March 1, 2011, 01:55 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've fired a bunch of Brennekes through several shotguns over the years, not a single extraction failure.

Borch,
I'd say it most likely IS your gun.
Denis
Old March 2, 2011, 11:10 AM   #10
DG45

I must be getting senile. I'm embarrassed to say that on a previous post (#8 above), I said I used Remington Express Slugs. Consider that a slip of the tongue. They don't make Remington Express Slugs, or if they do, I've never bought any. I meant to say I use moderately priced 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge Remington "Sluggers". I shoot about a 5-pack of them a year. They will do anything you need a slug for in the lower 48. The Remington Express load I use is 00 Buckshot.

I'm surprised nobody's flamed me for this yet; but I appreciate it that no one did. I don't know if I can go back now and edit my original post to correct it but I'll try.

I apologize if anyone rushed out and tried to buy "Remington Express Slugs".
Old March 2, 2011, 11:26 AM   #11
Huntergirl

The OP hasn't said what he would use the slugs for, or else I missed it.
I love the Brenneke slugs, especially the black Magic. They are marketed for dangerous game defense, and that's what I carry in Grizz country when I'm flyfishing or camping. They are pretty accurate out of my smooth bore, and ya definitely feel the recoil.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:01 PM   #12
jmortimer

If my bore was .729 to .730 I would for sure get the Dixie Hard Cast 870 grain at 1,200 fps from 20" barrel if I was in dangerous game territory. The Dixie will not "squeeze" through anything less as it is hard cast. That will smoke anything on earth but my bore is .725 so the Brenneke Black Magic is a decent second choice and will also smoke most anything on earth but the Dixie is in a class of its own. http://dixieslugs.com/images/specorder22211.pdf
Old March 2, 2011, 12:14 PM   #13
Huntergirl

I'll have to give those Dixie slugs a try to compare.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:42 PM   #14
roberto mervicini

Smooth or rifled bore this slug is as good or in my opinion better than RWS Brenneke. I do not know if is marketed in USA the brand is Challenger, they are made in Quebec province of Canada. The company advertise 1550 fps and extreme accuracy at 75 yds. They are right if you doo your part 5 shoot "key-hole" at 50 yds, I did try several of my s-guns with it ( franchi AL48 24" barrel, win. defender 18" and win.1300 with 24" deer barrel the last two are scoped.
This cartridge use the Gualandi slug and bore. (google both name Challenger ammunition or Gualandi and find out more in regards) . The slug came in magnum 40grams and regular 30grams.
_______
roberto
Old March 2, 2011, 12:42 PM   #15
jmortimer

Huntergirl - They have a Taylor K.O. number of 109 - would like to hear a report if you test them out. I also like the Dixie Tri-Ball - three 325 grain hard cast lead balls at .60 caliber so you are putting 975 grains of hard cast lead on the target. Consider that the Tri-Ball will go 29" in wet newspaper and OO buckshot will go 6" to 8" which gives you some idea of how effective the Tri-Ball is - http://dixieslugs.com/images/Standar...der10-6-10.pdf
Main site http://dixieslugs.com/
The Tri Ball is a great choice is your bore is less than .729 like mine is.