The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 8, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1
sksfan22

Grampa gave me some rifles... Got Q's.

Hi folks, I recently inherited an old Remington model 742 woodsman 30-06 w/scope from my grampa and was wondering where I could get a replacement stock for it,its pretty banged up from trips in the woods but still works excellent . Looked through a bunch of gun sites but didnt really see anything for that model (probably wrong websites). Either stock replacement or something fancy is ok.
Forgot to add,got a Vanguard (weatherby?) 7mm bolt action that could use a new stock and scope that can reach out somewhat. I'm thinkin elk gun.
Thanks.

Last edited by sksfan22; September 8, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old September 8, 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
guf

gunstocks

Try BOYDS GUNSTOCKS phn. 605-996-5011
Old September 8, 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
MacGille

Refinish the stock. Use a wet cloth and an iron to steam out the dents, sand the surface to remove scratches,(be careful not to blur edges or details) then a couple of coats of Tung oil steel wooled between coats and finish with paste wax. You will find the eperience rewarding and the results satisfying.

Unles the stock is actually broken you can refinish it to as good as new condition.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old September 8, 2010, 09:25 PM   #4
sksfan22

"Refinish the stock. Use a wet cloth and an iron to steam out the dents, sand the surface to remove scratches,(be careful not to blur edges or details) then a couple of coats of Tung oil steel wooled between coats and finish with paste wax. You will find the eperience rewarding and the results satisfying."

You have my full attention! I would much rather do this since the dings arent that bad,and these rifles are very special to me so I would like to keep them as original as possible. How exactly would I go about ironing with a wet cloth and such? The stocks have gobs of detailing,would a dremel with a soft cloth type wheel work ok in the mix? I know very little about guns aside from how to shoot and clean them so refinishing them is something I really wanna try (I have a couple cheap tester guns to gain experience on as long as my -06 and 7 mag turn out perfect!).

Thank you.
Old September 8, 2010, 10:44 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Steaming out dents just means forcing hot water into the wood, the wood expands, which pops out the dent.
The way MacGille suggests will work fine.

I would be careful about using a dremel for cleaning.

A straight tung oil finish is probably your best bet.
Old September 8, 2010, 11:19 PM   #6
emcon5

I would leave it alone. In 30 years, look at the dings, and think of your Grandfather.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Scout

What he said...
Old September 9, 2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Black Frog

Quote:
I would leave it alone. In 30 years, look at the dings, and think of your Grandfather.
You bet. Those marks, dings, and scratches were earned.

Back then rifles/shotguns were many times looked at, and used as, 'tools'. My grandfather's rifle had so many dings/scratches all over the place. I asked my dad how it got that way and he mentioned how they used the side of the gun to push down barb-wire fence so they could climb over when fox and bunny hunting. They would go every Sunday after church in the winter. They didn't care if the stock looked pretty or not, it was a tool to get the job done.

I smile thinking about how all those marks got on that gun..... I'd never change the stock.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Rifleman1776

ditto on leave it alone. New stock or refinishing won't increase value much. Plus you don't seem interested in selling it. You can remove the stock and clean with soap and water (just wet, not dripping) then protect with a good furniture wax. For a gun with history, particularly family, those dents are considered 'beauty marks'.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:27 AM   #10
BODAME

Hunting Memories

I have the same Model 742 that was my left to me years ago.
I did not try to remove any dents or scratches , just a good coat of True Oil
Old September 9, 2010, 09:26 AM   #11
rickyrick

I'm with every body else, if the stock ain't broke, leave the dents.
Old September 9, 2010, 09:39 AM   #12
sc928porsche

I have a 742 BDL that my father left me. Just a few dings and scratches in it and I was there when a couple of them were put in it. I dont hunt with it, but I do take it out to the range and fire it occasionaly. When I clean it, the dings and scratches bring a smile to my face. Some of the other rifles he left me were in "used" shape and I reblued and refinished them, but they were not his favorites.
Old September 9, 2010, 12:02 PM   #13
sksfan22

I was looking at the rifles again and completely agree with whats been said. I think I'll just clean them up good and leave em as is. I'd rather not ruin the history that came with those dings and dents. If I want something spiffy and new I'll go buy another rifle.

Thanks everyone .
Old September 9, 2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Sgt.Saputo

Quote:
You bet. Those marks, dings, and scratches were earned.
+1

I said this once on a similar thread and I'll say it again. All of those; scratches, nicks, dings, scrapes, dents, and any other various forms of cosmetic damages on your rifle have a story to tell.

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337