The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
kscardsfan

Neck sizing dies

I would like to get a dedicated neck sizing die for a few of my rifles instead of the "adjust die out until it only sizes on the neck" find a magic marker routine. Does it matter if they are from the same manufacturer? And do you have to use a seater mated to that neck sizer? Or could I just buy a neck die and throw it in the box with my other dies? Thanks guys.
Old April 28, 2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Scorch

You can buy neck sizers from any number of reloading die manufacturers. They look just like a regular die but will say "neck size" on the body.

I use and prefer the Lee Collet dies, but they are not made for all cartridges.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:05 PM   #3
F. Guffey

Neck size adjustment: I do not secure the lock nut to the die, I adjust the die to the shell holder every time, I do not always use the same press, I do not always use the same die. I adjust the die and shell holder gap with a feeler gage,I have confidence in the presses, dies and shell holders. I have one 6.5/284 sizer die I purchased that was ground for reason known only to the previous owner, anything he accomplished by grinding, I can accomplish with a feeler gage, again from .017 under a go-gage size chamber to (infinity) a practical .011 over the perfect go-size chamber.

I know the head space of the chamber I am sizing cases for, if the chamber has .006 head space I adjust the gap to .005, no fractional guesstimates of a turn, I want to neck size, avoid (control) moving the shoulder more than necessary and get partial body sizing.

Yes you can purchase a neck sizer die, RCBS neck dies come with a box, yes you can add the neck sizer die to your full length sizer die set. There are full length sizer dies that can be used as neck sizer dies, the 308 W full length sizer (shorter than) can be used to neck size 30/06 cases, the 7 Remington Mag full length sizer can be used to neck size some the 280 Remington case etc..

F. Guffey
Old April 28, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
kscardsfan

Well for my varmint/accuracy rigs, I like to use redding dies. But I have a ton of RCBS dies right now. Do I have to use RCBS neck dies with my RCBS f/l and seater dies? Or could I just buy a new Redding neck die and throw it in with my RCBS dies?
Old April 29, 2009, 11:36 AM   #5
F. Guffey

It would not matter what full length brand sizer you used, after full length sizing and firing the case, the case has no memory of having been sized, the fired case only remembers the chamber it was fired in (the last one), neck sizing is about neck sizing with total disregard to the rest of the case, shoulder, case length or body diameter. I neck size for wildcats after fire forming, more times than not I do not have a neck sizer die by name, I neck size 30 Gibbs cases with a 300 Win Mag full length sizer and 7MM Gibbs with a 7MM Remington Full length sizer die. I am building one now in 338, I purchased a 338 Winchester Mag set of dies that included a 338 C&H neck sizer die, the 338 C&G neck sizer will work on the 338/06 also.

Redding sells neck sizer dies, the dies come in a box, with the many dies you have I would suggest you not 'hide' a die that has more than one function, add the Redding to the neck sizer section.

F. Guffey
Old April 29, 2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Alleykat

I've also used the Lee Collet Die with excellent results. When I'm setting up a f.l. sizing die, I use a Wilson case gage.