The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2009, 10:54 AM   #1
golfnutrlv

Carry in Casual Clothes, Khakis, polo

Hi everyone, I have asked this question before, but thought I would get some more thoughts on the subject.

I am looking for a reliable carry method for business casual, ie slacks/khaki/dockers and a polo shirt in warm weather. The weapon is a Glock 26, no finger extensions.

Here are methods I have tried or thought about:
Ankle: tried several holsters, Desantis, Fobus, Galco. Gun is a little too thick and heavy for this.

IWB: is generally good, but not concealable without a cover. Tuckable is not for me. Does not fit my body shape, and would be too easy to spot.

I have thought about trying this method: Kangaroo

Any other ideas? In cas you ask, a smaller gun like a .380 pocket auto is not an option right now. Saving up for an AR, that has priority right now.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Gardien

Sorry, but you eliminated the only viable solution I can think of. For this reason, I carry an S&W 642.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:31 AM   #3
2barksters

I use the kangaroo sometimes. My Mdl 36 3" just simply disappears. I have not found any others that conceal very well or are very comfortable to me, so I am making my own IW holster.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Naterstein

What about appendix IWB?

If your khakis have deep pockets you could try a pocket holster.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:23 PM   #5
ElectricHellfire

Who still tucks in a shirt these days?
Old April 12, 2009, 02:00 PM   #6
mrt949

Pocket carry .It's the only way i can carry .
Old April 12, 2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Chesster

+1 on pocket carry. I try to buy baggy pants.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 12, 2009, 02:05 PM   #8
Moe Howard

I wear slacks and a polo Monday through Friday. Pocket carry is the only way I have found to comfortably carry without ever being found out. My pocket pistol is a Kel-Tec p3at though, a Glock may be a little thick for pocket carry. In my experience a small single stack auto pocket carries better than anything else.
Old April 12, 2009, 07:23 PM   #9
golfnutrlv

Ya, unfortunately pocket carry seems to be the best option. Appendix is not really for me, not comfortable at all.

Any other ideas let me know. I may just have to look for a gun show pocket pistol.

Thanks all
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 12, 2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Tophe

never tried or checked one of these out, but he instructor in my ccw class I just took was talking about them.

Belly-band holster

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/44...ory_id%3D44%26
Old April 13, 2009, 03:16 PM   #11
obiwan1

I'd go with a OWB or a "between belt and pant" rig. Go to a Macy's and look at the manequins (no - the MALE manequins...). The current fashion is perfect for CCW. Colored Tshirt covered by a sport shirt left tails out and unbuttoned (a-la sport jacket). I personally prefer Hawaiian style shirts. They really disguise any bulges. I probably look like a frumpy old guy (why not - I am one), but a BG does NOT want to mess with me. H&K P2k .40, 2 extra mags, Boker switchblade, 2 cellphones (I'm always on call). When I'm on duty add OC spray, CSB (collapseable steel baton) and handcuffs.
Old April 13, 2009, 05:06 PM   #12
fatboy02

I have not tried one of these yet but I have been thinking about ordering something like this T-shirt holster.

http://http://www.abetterholster.com/products.htm
Old April 13, 2009, 05:17 PM   #13
comn-cents

what about "thunderwear"?
Old April 13, 2009, 05:37 PM   #14
Rich Miranda

golf, kangaroo looks good but also looks HOT given that fabric wrapped around your chest and underarms/middle. But if you get used to it, which you can, it would probably be no biggie. My next concern would be the ability to draw quickly while carrying in the kangaroo. You'd either have to unbutton your shirt or lift it up pretty high.

I'm not sure where you are, but here in south Texas, untucked polo shirts happen to be in style, so that's what I do and carry IWB.

CCW is a pain sometimes, and you almost certainly will have to modify how you dress in order to be able to conceal.

Good luck to you.