The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 15, 2009, 01:03 AM   #126
BillCA

One comment I have not seen WRT guns on campus pertains partially to dorm life and the attitudes of some college-age students.

Presuming a college student who can legally possess a handgun and who has his CCW, I think most would understand that it would be all too easy to have their CCW revoked for being drunk or engaging in stupid horseplay.

But not so those "other" students, especially many of those who enjoy attempting to belittle others or perhaps have little respect for others.

An example was a classmate in college. Dan was about 24 y/o, only about 5'7" and walked with a limp. During a dorm party that spilled into his room, some jock dork pawed through Dan's desk and found a box. When Dan arrived this 6'2" donkey had pinned Dan's medals to his crotch and was shouting "Whooee! I'm a war heeero! Kiss my medals girls!" The medals were a purple heart and a silver star. Dan demanded them back and was asked how many babies he killed to get the medals.[1] ... one can imagine a similar scene where a handgun is found instead of service medals.

I know most campuses prohibit alcohol in dorms and frat houses, yet it seems the policing of these rules is very lax. Somehow the presence of an empty shell casing can trigger a warrantless search of several dorm rooms, yet the presence of multiple Jose Cuervo shot glasses or t-shirts does not. I guess this is because administrators consider getting sloppy drunk part of the "college experience".

[1]Dan did get his medals back. He was challeged to take them, so he broke both the jock's collarbones. On his way out he stepped on the jerk's crotch for good measure. Dan's silver star came from being a Vietnam POW for two years as part of the USMC's Force Recon.
Old January 15, 2009, 01:03 PM   #127
divemedic

Actually, employees are fired for legal activities, political beliefs, and for how they vote all the time. Here are a few examples:

http://www.workrights.org/issue_life...legaltimes.pdf

We are far past any notion that only the wealthy can vote, and political candidates of all parties agree that Americans should be able to participate in politics without regard to their economic status.
Employer coercion through politically based terminations threatens this civic ideal. Individuals may have the First Amendment right to express political support or opposition, but if such activities cost them their jobs, then employers will have undermined these political rights and hampered the workings of democracy.

A Buzzards Bay man has sued The Scotts Co. , the lawn care giant, for firing him after a drug test showed nicotine in his urine, indicating that he had violated a company policy forbidding employees to smoke on or off the job.

As it happens I have fired workers for smoking cigarettes and I certainly will not hire anyone who smokes, not just on the job but at all. In the same manner I certainly will not hire anyone who voted for Obama.

I worked for a Mormon-owned CPA firm... I was fired from my job after admitting that I had voted NO on prop 102...The former employee has contacted several attorneys, but no one will take the case because Arizona is a right-to-work and hire-at-will state.