The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Hunting with a shotgun....

Assume whatever it is that you are hunting is seen and fired apon within 10yards. Which will probably cause the most damage to your game 00 Buck shot or slug?

George Orwell
Old December 1, 2008, 01:18 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

SD, Inside the 10 yards either is going to be tremendous. the slug may damage less meat so long as it misses the hams/shoulder bones. Once inside the lead balls may disperse damaging more edible meat by a little bit. But I would rather use a slug for hunting. For hogs where I may be sneaking in real close before I know they are right there, the 00 may be loaded as first shot for a quick shoulder mount/fire sequence as I am admittedly not real confident in my ability to react, aim and fire on a spooked runner. from a cylinder bored barrel the 00 may be opened up enuff to at least slow down the hog for my follow up.
Brent
Old December 1, 2008, 03:57 PM   #3
bswiv

Hogdogs is right..........at that range it's all about equal.

And for what it is worth we did some testing last year and what we foung is that in MY SHOTGUN ( They are all different! ) 000 paterend better. Another benifit is that the 000, being heavier individually, penetrated about 40 to 50% better.

Down side is that a 3 inch 000 load has 10 shot in them while a 3 inch 00 has 15 shot in them which makes a less dense pattern. And this too, the 000 load weighs about 14% less than the 00 load.

Like I said though, in my gun the 000 tosses a much tighter pattern out to 40 yards and I like the fact that the individual pellets have much more energy. And as we are shooting hogs, which can have tougher hides, especially the older boars, the penetration is important. IMHO.

That said it's worth remembering that the standard is 00.
Old December 8, 2008, 12:35 PM   #4
jaymag

Use both!

I use a 12ga. browning wth a scope.Deer will be standing still at first so use a winchester super x foster style slug for the first shot.If you are using a smooth bore.If you are you using rifled barrel then use a sabat style slugs.Then if the deer takes of running or bounding follow up with some nice remington mag. 12 pellet to hit him with a little somting extra.2 3/4 loads is pletty of juice.You don't need the kick of 3 inch mags.
Old December 8, 2008, 01:34 PM   #5
T.A.Sharps

Where are you hunting with only a range of 10 yards?
Old December 8, 2008, 01:42 PM   #6
fisherman66

I killed a feral sow at less than 20 feet several weeks ago. I've had deer within 10 yards too this year. Hen turkeys have stepped over my legs before during gobbler season. I don't plan on it happening, but it does with with fair frequency.
Old December 8, 2008, 02:25 PM   #7
rantingredneck

Quote:
One of the biggest deer I ever killed was about 10-15 feet from me when I shot him. I always joke that I shot him in self defense. He had been jumped off the bed by another hunter and nearly ran me over.

In that case it was a 3.5" load of 00 buck. I recovered all 18 pellets from under the hide on the offside.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 8, 2008, 02:31 PM   #8
wpcexpert

As far as stopping power, the 00 buck is just about the best there is. That's what some of the guides carry up in Canada. The carry a fixed cilinder choke with a pistol grip with an 8 shot mag. At charging Griz range, that's what they trust their lives to.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 8, 2008, 03:39 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Seems like an odd thought problem more than real life. I have personally taken a couple of deer a 15 yards or less with a 12ga but I've never once made the choice of round based on what would be effective at that range. My experience tells me that if it's effective at 100 yards its going to be effective at 10. The opposite is not true. Now, some rifle rounds may become "shrapnel" at that range because they can't effectively handle the impact energy. But that's a different world. If your talking shotguns, I'll take a slug any day.
Old December 8, 2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Hawg

I've used a short barreled shotgun in dense woods with a lot of underbrush. Shell in the pipe is 00 followed by slugs.
Old December 8, 2008, 05:34 PM   #11
simonkenton

I can tell you that at extremely close ranges, number 8 birdshot is devastating.
As a paramedic I saw the effects of birdshot on a human torso about 14 times, at ranges of 10 to 15 feet.
In every case the patient was dead right there.
So, at 20 feet, buckshot would, likewise, be a very lethal load.
Of course you don't want to hunt with birdshot because at longer range, 30 yards or so, it no longer is a killer on big game.

I am sure that either the slug or buckshot would be devastating at 20 feet.
Old December 8, 2008, 07:59 PM   #12
Rmart30

Quote:
Man I could show you some thickets that we hunt in that you cant see more than 10 ft in any direction...

When I hunt the thickets its with slugs, 00 would be good for deer at that range but I use slugs just in case a boar comes thru.
Old December 8, 2008, 10:10 PM   #13
publius

I would use the slug but take a picture no matter what you use. what would be cool is a 6-7' spear complete with a handmade flint tip.
Old December 26, 2008, 02:41 PM   #14
T.A.Sharps

No doubt people get kills within 10yrds when the opportunity pops up.

I was amused that someone was planning his hunt and what firearm to get based on a max range of 10 yards.

Unless you just don't aim at it, 10 yards you can kill nearly anything with whatever you have. However I don't agree with the bird shot guy up there, I want to kill it, not maim it.

Use your favorite pistol, slugs, or just take out your knife and charge it if you want.

10 yards is nothing, you should be planning on what the longest shot you would take would need. Some woods may be thick enough allowing only 10yrd shots, but I have never hunted on terrain allowing only one option of range, even thick woods can offer clearings is spots.
Old December 27, 2008, 08:27 AM   #15
Deet

Hogdogs is right, but for me 00 buck is illegal, we can only use slugs in good ole Indiana. For 10 yard shots I would use my .357 magnum. I know I went off topic, but I can legally hunt deer with a shotgun and .357 magnum on me at the same time, but 00 buck is forbidden. Go figure.
Old December 27, 2008, 04:35 PM   #16
ddeyo1

ive never really considered hunting with 00. In my opinion opinion having a solid 1 oz piece of lead is he best way to go weather its 10 yards or 100 you get the same ammount of damage. along with that a slug amkes a nice hole for them to bleed out of making it easier to track. Ive really only considered 00 for home defense where youll be in a situation that you need to cover alot of are without much time to aim, but its up to you.