The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2008, 01:47 AM   #1
pontiac

Lee trimer

I have a lee handheld trimmer for my 7mm rem mag. I put the case length ga. in the case and thru the primer hole with the proper shellholder , the case lengths were 2.503, 2.500 max and the cutter did not even touch the case head, maybe i am not using it right.
Old February 23, 2008, 02:26 AM   #2
inkie

When I first started using the Lee Trimmer I expierienced the samething, no metal was shaved doing it by hand. Although Lee says : "if no metal is removed the case length is okay" my caliper told me different. I used the Lee case trimmer device with an electric drill and got results. Apparantly not enough pressure is applied doing it by hand. Also, check and make sure the case trimmer is screwed all the way in to the handle
Old February 23, 2008, 03:05 AM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
I have a lee handheld trimmer for my 7mm rem mag. I put the case length ga. in the case and thru the primer hole with the proper shellholder , the case lengths were 2.503, 2.500 max and the cutter did not even touch the case head, maybe i am not using it right.
It's not supposed to touch the case head, it's supposed to touch the mouth of the case.

2.500 is the trim-to-length for 7mm mag cases. The lee trimmer is set to trim no more than that, no shorter than that. It should have taken a lite cut from the case that was 2.503. As inkie said, be sure the pilot is threaded tight against the cutter.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 27, 2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Mtn Hawk

I had the same problem. The trim-to length for my 7mm-08 cases is 2.025" but the Lee trimmer was only trimming to 2.030".

I made sure the pilot was tight against the cutter (a critical point that others have mentioned) and that the problem wasn't "operator error", but the cases still were not trimmed enough. Finally I stoned a bit of metal off the bottom of the pin, checking the length of trimmed cases often and carefully with calipers (metal can't be put back on). That solved the problem.
Old February 27, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
rwilson452

Are you really really sure you have the cutter screwed all the way on the gauge. I grip the gauge with a pair of pliers and twist just to be sure. as long as your not using a gorilla grip on the pliers your not going to hurt the gauge. It's made of some really hard stuff. It will rust if neglected but scaring it up is hard to do.

I put a little oil on mine if it isn't going to be used for some time then wipe it dry before use.