The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 9, 2016, 09:51 PM   #1
Smokin'Joe

Wedge Retainer for Open Top Revolvers

Open Top Colt revolvers have wedges that can all too easily drop out and get lost when the barrel is removed. A simple modification can all but eliminate this problem. I started with a #8 split lock washer and modified it with needle files.

Unmodified washer on left, modified washer on right.

This washer is placed on the wedge screw with the flat positioned toward the wedge slot of the barrel. This provides a greater surface for the wedge spring to grab onto making for a tighter fit. If the wedge fit is too tight simply file a little metal off the flat surface and try again until fit is acceptable.

Last edited by Smokin'Joe; November 10, 2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old November 10, 2016, 03:09 AM   #2
Hawg

I've never had one just fall out. The few times I've taken one out they required a little wiggling but if you're worried about it why not get a screw with a bigger head? It would look a lot better.
Old November 10, 2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Smokin'Joe

Quote:
why not get a screw with a bigger head?
Where can I get one?
Old November 10, 2016, 09:34 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Not a bad idea. Fire blue it and it's not so noticeable. As to getting another screw, they'd have us make one on a lathe and mill.
Old November 10, 2016, 06:49 PM   #5
Hawg

You'd have to check the threads but the bolt/trigger spring screw might fit. I'm not around mine right now or I'd check for you. If it does wrap the threads with electrical tape and chuck it up in a drill and turn it down with a file.
Old November 11, 2016, 01:15 PM   #6
foolzrushn

It's possible you might find a metric screw to modify at the local hardware. Take your wedge screw with you in a container for your pocket, so it doesn't escape!

certified 'soap welder'
Old November 12, 2016, 10:05 AM   #7
drobs

Curious if an E-clip would work / fit.

Old November 13, 2016, 11:31 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hay-Seuss clips would probably work, but I'd put them on the screw and then put the screw into place. Slipping it onto the screw head could scratch the frame.
Old November 13, 2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Hawg

Going by your pics the screw head is too small to start with.
Old November 13, 2016, 06:46 PM   #10
sltm1

Good eye Hawg.
Old November 14, 2016, 11:45 AM   #11
Smokin'Joe

Quote:
Going by your pics the screw head is too small to start with.
Hawg, my screw is .275" in diameter. And yours?

Old November 14, 2016, 03:21 PM   #12
Hawg

I'll have to get back with you on that. I'm not at home.
Old November 14, 2016, 05:36 PM   #13
AKexpat

It appears to me that Smokin's screw heads are the same diameter as my 3 Pietta 1851's, and I don't have his problem with my pistols.

I can only think that the threaded hole for that screw is in the wrong location, OR the wedge slot might have been milled too low, but that is a reach insofar as alignment with the arbor slot. In this day and age of CNC machining, I dunno, unless that is an older pistol.

Good luck, Smokin', insofar as finding out why you had to do the ingenious solution you found and needed.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old November 15, 2016, 03:34 PM   #14
toot44

wedge keeper

i for one like the idea and have made one for my keeper screw, thanks alot. i think for one it is a great idea. thanks for shareing it with us. toot.
Old November 15, 2016, 05:28 PM   #15
Smokin'Joe

Thank you, toot 44. Your reply made me all warm and fuzzy.
Old November 15, 2016, 07:10 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
It appears to me that Smokin's screw heads are the same diameter as my 3 Pietta 1851's, and I don't have his problem with my pistols.

I can only think that the threaded hole for that screw is in the wrong location,
Mine are probably the same then.

That would be most likely.
Old November 15, 2016, 08:40 PM   #17
Gavlan

I got curious so I had to measure mine and it's right on .273" and holds the wedge just fine, so your screw is right .
And like mentioned afore maybe the hole is a tad high,,,,,,, now we have to measure the top of the wedge slot to hole center ,,, oh boy,,,,. . .
Having jesting a bit I have to say I'm a big fan of folks who see a problem and fix it themselves, I applaud you .
Old November 15, 2016, 10:19 PM   #18
Smokin'Joe

Guys, there never was an issue with any of my open top revolvers regarding the wedge or the retaining screw. Everything was and still is in spec. My simple wedge retainer modification is just a way to keep the wedge from accidentally falling out when the barrel is removed. If any of you don't like the modification or don't feel the need to implement it on your revolver than, by all means, simply ignore my post. But you just might be surprised how much more secure the wedge is when my retainer is employed.
Old November 16, 2016, 12:36 AM   #19
Hawg

Just from the pics it looks like the head of the screw is flush with the edge of the wedge slot when it should come below it to about where your retainer is.
Old November 16, 2016, 09:23 AM   #20
toot44

wedge retainer

i had a wedge that fell out when i removed the barrell, the problem was the spring that runs in the middle for tension was verry over crompressed. i used to slip a small screw driver under it and apply upward preassure to it and it would work for a while then it had a memory and went back, no tension. finally replaced it problem solved. any one ever have toe same problem? BTW. the gun was an ASM, 36, yrs old. still going strong.
Old November 16, 2016, 09:30 AM   #21
toot44

barrell wedge retainer

SMOKIN,JOE, every one needs a warm fuzzy feeling now and then, glad it was me who gave it to you, LOL!!.toot.