The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 28, 2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Mauser8mm

Coyote Threat!!

Hello everyone, I have a situation and need some advice, tips, and suggestions. My neighbor has a whole bunch of horses and puppies on her property inside her fence, and the guy who lives next to her set up night vision cameras and spotted coyotes near her fence. I just talked to her today and I said I would "take care" of them for her. This is for pest control, not for sport.
They have been eyeing her horses and puppies supposably and are a very potential threat. The fence is easy to dig under, because one of her small dogs dug under and got on to my property. I had to put a cinder block there so the dog wouldn't come back under. I want to take care of the coyotes just so they don't pose a threat to my three dogs or cats, and my neighbors horses.

Any suggestions on how to attract them so I can shoot them? Maybe throw meat out? Shoot them with a 12 Gauge? Throw out some suggestions for me, thanks!!!!
Old February 28, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
ihctractor

We have a blujillion of those up here. They are usually almost no threat to humans, cattle, horses and most dogs. Sheep, puppies, cats, basically anything smaller or dumber than them are considered food.
We hunt them at night with a call box similar to hunting fox. They can also be trapped, hunted with dogs(most effective way but need well trained dogs) or you can just sit and wait for them to show up in an active area. They are very smart. They can hear and smell you from distances far enough away that you never know they were there. Surprisingly, throwing meat out near the fence would probably be a red flag to all but the youngest most desperate of Coyotes.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Mauser8mm

Thanks!

I was planning to do a stake out tommorow night with a hunting stand I built (it is sort of like a fort, it is big enough to sleep 2 people) and possibly take one out with a flashlight and a Remington 11-48 12 Gauge with buckshot.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Hansam

Quote:
possibly take one out with a flashlight and a Remington 11-48 12 Gauge with buckshot.
I've done limited night time hunting for coyote and from my experience you'll be lucky to keep them within shotgun range if you put a flashlight on them.

Get yourself an AR or other semi-auto rifle with a large capacity then sit about 100 to 200 yards away from the kill zone on a night with lots of moonlight. Wait for them to come in or better yet set up a call box then when they come in turn on the flood lights and light'em up with your rifle.

Here in WI you can only use a flashlight to shine coyote and raccoon AT THE TIME OF THE SHOOTING. Stupid I know but its how the law is written. Using that method though my buddies and I sat with his work lights set up on his hill behind his house overlooking a small gully. Using calls we brought 3 in and upon switching the lights on we took all three out at about 250 yards. It took 15 rounds from me and 10 from my buddy but we got all three. The first one down was hit and dropped with the first shot (mine) and my buddy and I opened up on the other two. No idea who got the last two.

My point though is that even at that distance once the lights went on they turned and fled. If you manage to get them in close enough for shotgun use you'd better be able to shoot it without a light. Turn a light on and the yote is likely to be gone.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Mauser8mm

Thanks!

I have never gone hunting for coyotes, but I am just trying to help out a neighbor. Any suggestions on baiting?
Old February 28, 2013, 09:00 PM   #6
wooly booger

before you start busting caps at 'yotes at night I would call FWP and make sure that you don't wind up in front of a judge for it. FWP regs make no mention of the legality of shooting coyotes at night. I would not risk it. My daughter is a biologist with Florida FWP, I will call her for you if you wish.

regarding bait, look for a road kill, trap a rabbit and stake out or buy an electronic predator call.

BTW...coyotes will not bother a horse. They will bother cows that are getting ready to drop a calf, deer fawns, etc. I have killed over 100 in KY and MT.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Hansam

What exactly is FWP?

Anyway bait would be... umm... wait I don't bait coyote since its illegal to hunt coyote over bait here in WI. Sorry no help there.

It IS legal to hunt them at night here though and on a warm moonlight summer night I like no other activity more. In winter the hunting success is supposed to be higher since there's more of a desire for food in them but I dislike the cold and no way am I going to freeze my rear waiting for coyote to come into shooting range in the cold of the night during winter.

I've hunted coyote during the day too but to no success thus far.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:22 PM   #8
TXAZ

Please make sure you yourself have checked with fish and game in FL, particularly any nighttime restrictions. FL allegedly has some very restrictive laws regarding putting poison out for predators.

AZ & TX (outside urban areas) make shooting, trapping or poisoning them pretty easy. Good luck

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 28, 2013, 09:33 PM   #9
wooly booger

FWP is Fish Wildlife and Parks. Typically FL wardens get pretty excited about hunting at night, even hogs and 'yotes. My daughter is a biologist with them. I am calling her tomorrow because their regs don't really address shooting predators at night. They only address raccoon and 'possum
Old February 28, 2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The Florida wildlife agency has a website. Pretty thorough for the rules and regulations.

When using a light, don't shine directly on the coyote. Just pick up his eyes with the edge of the beam. Also, don't steadily shine it at him. Call for a bit, look around briefly and if no eyes, kill the light. Repeat.

Coyotes first come to the sound, then generally make some sort of circle to do the final approach from downwind. So, figure your setup so he isn't likely to come in from downwind of YOU. As at the edge of fairly thick brush, with the wind from the side. Make him stay out more in the open.

I've used a Q-Beam with a red lens cover, as well as a 20,000 CP Streamlight. Just have to be judicious about how they're used.

Bait? Either save leftover meat and fish scraps in your freezer until you're ready to play, or take a garbage can and liner to some local cafe and get a load to put out in the pasture. Coyotes will eat about anything except orange and onion peel, that sort of thing.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:53 PM   #11
wooly booger

Art
I just went through their website...no mention about shooting coyotes at night. If you found something, please copy and paste.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:07 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know you can now use gun and light at night for hogs on private land... I am thinking I also read that went for yotes as well...

I will try to locate the info exactly...

Brent
Old March 1, 2013, 10:11 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BINGO!!!

Quote:
Hunting wildlife at night with a light.
Answer ID 2025 | Published 02/07/2006 12:57 PM | Updated 02/04/2013 05:52 PM
Do I need a permit to hunt coyotes or other nuisance wildlife on my farm at night with a light? If so, what permit is needed and where do I get one?

Taking wildlife with gun is prohibited during non-daylight hours, except as authorized below.

A Gun and Light at Night Permit is required to use a gun and a light at night to remove nuisance beaver, bobcat, fox, possum, rabbit, raccoon, or skunk causing destruction of crops and/or livestock.

The Gun and Light at Night Permit does NOT authorize removal of any species other than those listed above. To learn more about the permit or to apply go to: http://myfwc.com/license/wildlife/nu...ife/gun-light/.

On private lands, the permit is not required to take wild hog, coyote, armadillo, black or Norway rat, and house mouse, with a gun and light during non-daylight hours.

For information about controlling deer causing damage to agricultural crops, visit MyFWC.com.

For more information about other laws relating to destructive wildlife go to: http://myfwc.com/conservation/you-co...sance-wildlife. For other methods of removing nuisance wildlife, including coyotes, go to http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles.
Emphasis mine...

Brent
Old March 1, 2013, 10:20 AM   #14
wooly booger

Thanks HogDog
I just spoke with FWP and they are going to put that in the regulations section as well.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:42 AM   #15
buck460XVR

A common predator call for 'yotes is "puppy in distess". If the coyotes you are after have already been eyeballin' your neighbor's puppies, it seems this would be the logical place to start. Unless the horses are foaling or a miniature breed, there probably isn't much of a threat to them. A small decoy either wind or electronic that would attract the 'yotes attention may increase your chances of a good shot. 'Yotes learn fast so once they relate that call to danger they will be hard to bring back. This may lessen the chance of shooting more of them, but it will also pressure them into finding someplace else to hunt.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:30 AM   #16
HeKtor

Hell yeah, i totally hate these vermins. Once i tried to poison them but no luck...Now i'm gonna act more effective. I'm thinking of bying some night vision optics with the IR, of course. i'll put a decoy near my garden for attraction and i hope it'll work!

Last edited by HeKtor; March 4, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:19 PM   #17
BoogieMan

Put out a bowl of antifreeze. Dogs and cats love it. Just make sure nno pets that can get to it. Local to me someone used poison meetballs to get the yotes. Several area dogs at them and he ended up in a heep of explicative.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 4, 2013, 01:40 PM   #18
bird_dog

Quote:
Put out a bowl of antifreeze.
Don't. There's no way to ensure someone's pet, other animals, or songbirds or other non-target small animals might get into it. It's indiscriminate and a very irresponsible suggestion.

Just shoot them.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:49 PM   #19
NWPilgrim

If you want to see the ultimate in night time pest shooting just go to m4carbine.net and search for a thread by SkyPup. He shoots coyotes and hogs for hire and on his own property using night vision, laser, illuminators and FLIR. He is taking them at typically out to 175 yds or more. Very serious set up and amazingly effective.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 4, 2013, 10:17 PM   #20
hagar

Try to find some 3 inch 1 7/8 or 2 ounce copper plated bb loads, but they may be hard to find. Buckshot will be iffy after 40 yards, the bb's will kill them up to 65 yards.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:52 PM   #21
allaroundhunter

Re: Coyote Threat!!

Do not put out bait. When you do that you are creating a source of food for them and you will never get rid of them (because you won't kill them all). After you set out bait not only have you not solved your neighbor's problem, you have made it much worse.

A couple weeks ago I had a group of coyotes get into my backyard and kill my little Cairn Terrier. Afterwards I went out with a call, and my AR equipped with a night vision scope and set up about 600 yards away from my house in order to draw them away from it. Since they killed my dog I have killed 3 and I am not done yet. And as for the shotgun, it is far from ideal, and it is hard to get coyotes even into shotgun range...
Old March 5, 2013, 10:49 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think the poisoning laws in florida are strict with severe penalty...

I wouldn't poison indiscriminately...

Brent
Old March 5, 2013, 11:05 AM   #23
L_Killkenny

Not to be one to put a damper on things but we need to be a bit realistic here. Callin predators isn't just something you pick up and have success with. It's just not that easy.

The inexperienced coyote hunter is much better off shooting from ambush. Think bait piles. Road kill up to deer and even table scraps. Be religious about putting bait on site as often as you can. Hunt dusk and dawn, be on stand an hour before shooting light or couple hours before dark in the evening, play the wind.

But as has been known for a few centuries now, the best vermin protection system you can have is a good dog.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:23 AM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Kilkenny is quite correct... the only exception being inexperienced yotes that will come to a dog's squeaky toy or my impromptu lip squeak...

I will say that if you get scent/sight busted twice by the same dog, you won't easily ever get a shotgun range shot on that'n again... So don't miss your opportunity when presented...

Brent

Tags
coyote , dog , gun , hunt , pest