The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 25, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
steveNChunter

CCW for women

My wife is interested in getting her concealed carry permit. I only have one handgun that could be considered a CCW, a Ruger LCP w/crimson trace. She has shot it a few times, and can tolerate the recoil, but has a bit of a hard time working the slide. That has us looking more towards a small revolver. She likes the look of the LCR. I'd say she can handle .38 spl recoil, but she also likes the idea of the new .22wmr model. Should you use a .22wmr for self defense? I want to let her handle a few guns and see what she likes best. Charter arms' little .38 and the S&W bodyguard .38 also come to mind. What are some good CCWs for women?
Old February 25, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2
redhologram

Let her go and shoot and see what feels right in her hands. My fiancé thought a .380 would be a good gun for me and bought one for me. It was ok, but I didn't do backflips over it. I had a hard time with the slide, I didn't like the long trigger pull and it just didn't fit my hand the way my hand thought it should "feel".
I am now the happy owner of a compact 9mm. I have no issue with recoil, no slide issue, the trigger pull makes me happy and I enjoy carrying it and shooting it.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Newton24b

all that can be done is to try out different guns. it wont be cheap to do that. most places with rentals charge you alot in the end to get a few rounds down a gun.

as far as rimfires go, 22wmr is the best. but its still not the best overall compared to even a 32 magnum or a 38 special. testing is what matters.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:16 PM   #4
steveNChunter

I'm probably not going to be able to let her shoot every possible choice before we buy something. I just want to hear what CCW alot of women end up preferring and why. She is really interested in the LCR and I/she cant decide whether she would be better suited with the .38 or .22wmr
Old February 25, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

guns, CC issues, women...

Here are a few general points to answer your forum post question(s)...
If you buy a firearm, revolver or semi-automatic, make 100% sure she can safely load, unload, fire, handle and/or field-strip/clean the firearm BEFORE she carrys it. If she can not do these basic functions DO NOT carry it. A high stress lethal force event is not the time to mess around.
I'd add that before she carrys a loaded firearm be fully aware of the law/use of force standards. Guns are not toys or props. If she can't use LETHAL FORCE she shouldn't carry a firearm. Get a C2 Taser, OC spray or a impact weapon.

A firearm is not a security system it's part of security system. She should also have a white-light(tactical flashlight), a small knife and/or a second weapon like a defense pen(Uzi, CRKT, Tuff-Writer, etc).
Have her carry factory made, high quality ammunition too, no hand loads or reloads. Her statements, actions, weapons, and/or training may be held under review by a prosecutor or criminal investigator after a event.
Also, know that the LE investigators or detectives are NOT on your side! They are there to uncover the truth or find out what took place. Don't panic or prattle on. Use your civil rights, stay silent & get a criminal defense atty.
DO NOT speak to the media either. Nearly everyday, I see local news items where people go on camera right after a use of force event then yak it up.
The media is not a sworn LE agency or public service. It's a private company trying to increase ratings or profits. Your rights, safety or well being is meaningless to them.
See these websites for help; www.nra.org www.gunvideo.com www.handgunlaw.us www.gunsamerica.com www.natchezss.com www.grafs.com www.midwayusa.com www.paladin-press.com www.uscav.com www.safariland.com www.usgalco.com www.gunlawguide.com .
Old February 25, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I can't believe this thread has gotten so far without a reference to The Cornered Cat.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:16 PM   #7
steveNChunter

Clydefrog- I understand this. I have my concealed carry permit and adequate experience to teach her what she needs to know that she doesnt already before I let her carry. A concealed carry permit is not as hard to get in NC compared to some other states.

Last edited by steveNChunter; February 25, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:47 PM   #8
certified106

CCW for women

It is next to impossible to determine what she may or may not like. My wife loves her Bersa .380 Thunder however she has three different guns that she switches between now........ When she first started carrying she resisted the idea of a 9mm however she now loves her .40 cal that she carries..... My point is it may be a progression and the good part is you get to add more guns to your collection! My best advice would be to find a range and rent a bunch of different handguns for her to try. Don't get in a massive rush o buy her a gun until she is comfortable shooting/handling a gun. Once she is comfortable she will be much more educated and able to make a decision she is happy with in the long run. Good Luck!
Old February 25, 2013, 11:53 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

How low can you go?...

In general, the lowest I'd opt for a defense caliber is .380acp or a .38spl +P.

A .22LR, .25acp, .32acp, etc is just small. Some "magnum" rounds may add punch but I'd trust my life or the life-safety of a close loved one to a .38spl +P or a .380acp(at a min).
My concern for the forum member/spouse is that she can handle any semi-auto pistol(slide, mag, controls, etc) or be able to fire/aim a loaded DA only revolver.

Some women(and men) can not.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:21 AM   #10
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhologram
Let her go and shoot and see what feels right in her hands.
*DING* We have a winner!

This is the essential piece of advice on this subject. She needs to be the one to decide what works for her, and the only way is for her to shoot as many guns as it takes to find one that's comfortable for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter
I'm probably not going to be able to let her shoot every possible choice before we buy something.
Quote:
I have my concealed carry permit and adequate experience to teach her what she needs to know that she doesnt already before I let her carry.
Steve, there's a bit too much "let her" in these posts, IMO. Your wife is a grownup (I hope! ) -- she can make up her own mind what to carry, and when she's ready to do so. I'd strongly advise that the two of you find a good instructor for her, preferably one who teaches classes for women, or at least has plenty of experience with women students. It's far better (for both of you) for her to learn from a neutral party, not from her husband.

One of the many advantages of this is that the instructor should have a good selection of guns for students to try, so the cost of the class should be somewhat offset by what the two of you will save in range and rental fees.

And, Spats is right: if you haven't already, you both should visit The Cornered Cat. It's a website entirely devoted to women and self-defense, run by our own pax (Kathy Jackson) -- it's a wonderful resource.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:29 AM   #11
steveNChunter

She is most definitely making up her own mind what she wants to carry. Thats why she is looking at the LCR instead of the original idea which was to give her my LCP and I get myself another CCW. As for a class like that, I dont know of one being offered around here other than the class and range time required to obtain a concealed handgun permit. But I'll look into it. I just looked at The Cornered Cat. I'll tell her about the site it looks like something she would like.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Evan Thomas

Gary and Sandy Hoyle, at the Watauga Gun Club, offer concealed carry classes and all the standard NRA classes, including Ladies Only classes -- Sandy's specialty. They also offer one-on-one instruction.

If I were your wife, I'd check them out.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:06 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I can't believe this thread has gotten so far without a reference to The Cornered Cat.
YEP!

Quote:
I have my concealed carry permit and adequate experience to teach her what she needs to know that she doesnt already before I let her carry.
No, you don't. Women learn much more, and are more willing to listen to a third party instructor, especially while you go get the oil changed during her lesson
Old February 26, 2013, 04:28 PM   #14
steveNChunter

Vanya- I know where the Watauga Gun club is but I didnt know they offered such a class. I'll check into it.

BigDinFL- I'm glad you know how my wife and I interact and how much she and I know about firearms and self defense. She's actually very easy to teach and listens very well and picks up on things very fast. Even with her husband working with her. I started this thread to get opinions on some CCW's that women tend to prefer but I have gotten everything but that in reply. I'm not a first time gun buyer they have been my #1 hobby my whole life and she has been handling them for the last 10 years or so. If she wants more training she will get it, she is completely in control of what gun she chooses, and I'm not trying to talk her into or out of anything or make her do something she doesnt want to. But that is almost all I have heard this whole thread. If I was looking for opinions on those subjects I wouldve asked for it.

Last edited by steveNChunter; February 26, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:51 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

I know a lot for shooters who have had this as a hobby their whole life - one who has been shooting for 75 years - still doesn't make him, or you, qualified to teach, either from a teaching perspective or a knowledge one - that is why you get lessons from a pro.

I don't have to know your wife - as a former teacher, I speak from experience - as has everyone else here about letting someone else teach her, so maybe you should start listening and stop thinking you know it all.

Have you or your wife read Pax's site yet? Stats will tell you women do learn better from an outside source in greater proportions than men do.

I hope it all works out so she does well.

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; February 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:59 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Stop the bickering, gentlemen.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:24 AM   #17
steveNChunter

I do not think I know it all and as I said before if she wants to take a class she can take it and I support her in that. The subject of my thread was CCWs, not tactics and training. Thats a different forum. But nevermind we will find her the CCW that will work best for her without any help or advice from anyone on here.

I am officially done posting on this thread and I wish I could delete it because it has been a complete waste of time other than the recommendations to visit the Cornered Cat and to call Gary and Sandy Hoyle. Thank you Vanda.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:34 AM   #18
JimmyR

James Yeager's "Women are too stupid to choose their own weapon"

I can't believe I am doing this...

I will defer to James Yeager on this one. Watch the video, and learn from it. Don't let the title throw you off, just trust me on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmulG3zKfiU
Old February 27, 2013, 09:20 AM   #19
Zevyn

My wife had a hard time racking the slide on my Ruger P95. It was a simple fix due to it being a technique issue rather than a lack of strength.

If someone tries to just pull the slide back, it's going to be harder on them to process it. The trick is to push the hand holding the grip forward while pulling the hand on the slide back.

I'd venture most semi-automatic pistols fall into this category, and I'd honestly rather have my wife carrying a semi-automatic for the sole purpose of having more rounds at her disposal as well as sharing the same caliber rounds as I use for practicality.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:51 AM   #20
redhologram

^^^ Zevyn +1, that is exactly how I manage slides as well.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:31 PM   #21
popbang

My wife has a Glock 19. Two female co-workers have glocks. Several female friends carry Glock 19's. When I stop and think about it most females I know carry Glock 19's. Give them try she might like it.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:19 PM   #22
kutz

LCR!
Old February 27, 2013, 10:06 PM   #23
btmj

for people with small hands, I really recommend the following:

Small very concealable guns
Bersa thunder 380
Kahr CW9
Ruger LC9
Walther PPS
High quality 38 snubs (J-frame and Ruger LCR)

Full size guns that fit small hands:
Browning Hi Power
Smith Wesson 39- series 9mm
Smith Wesson k-frame revolvers
CZ-75B and Ruger SR-9/SR-40

If a woman has somewhat larger hands... if for instance she can wear a mans size "small" glove, there is no reason she can not comfortably shoot any normal size firearm.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:47 AM   #24
LewSchiller

My Christmas present to my wife was an NRA basic pistol and CCW permit course at Centennial Gun Club in Metro Denver CO. She learned a lot - had a good time - and as a result now enjoys shooting. Truth is, she's been going to their "Ladies Night" events twice a month and thus gets way more range time than I do.

Now here's something you might not know: First time women shooters can have very upsetting emotional reactions. After the first time she shot she became upset and began to cry. Before you think less of her, it turns out that's not an unusual reaction for women. Another woman in the class had the same reaction - the instructor said in his experience that's not uncommon. Girl thing...go figure. She couldn't explain it - she wasn't afraid if it - it just was. My wife is from a gun family - Up Nort' Wisconsin hunters all. As a child her dad taught her and her sisters to shoot bow - and still she had that reaction.
Had I been the one there with her I probably would have handled it poorly and absent other women - as in the class - it might have put her off shooting.

Prior to this I bought her a Beretta Tomcat with CT grips. It was about a year later that she took the class. Among the things she learned was that she didn't like the Tomcat. At all. We went shopping at the Tanner Gun Show and found that the Charter Arms J Frame .38's fit her hand like a glove. Mine too so that's even better :-) . She has put a couple hundred rounds through it so far without difficulty. Her groups are really good - she's on her way to an NRA Marksmanship certificate.

I bought a S&W 642 for myself since she's made the CA her own. She took it to the range last Tuesday and did well with it - slightly more recoil due to the reduced weight, but it was all good.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:11 AM   #25
geetarman

My daughter carries a G30. She sometimes carries a PPK .380.

She likes the G 30 better.

Carpe Cerveza