The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 22, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Vulcan Classic

Remington 1100 Firing Pin

My 1100 quit going bang! The firing pin SPRING is coiled in a normal looking pattern on about 2/3's and "stretched out" looking on the 1/3 at the primer strike end of the firing pin. I think, there is not enough firing pin return pressure to get the back of the pin to stick its head out enough to be struck by the hammer. My question is; is the spring supposed to have a stretched out look at one end? Has anyone experienced this problem?
Old October 22, 2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Sounds like someone stretched the spring.

I'd just cut to the chase and buy a new spring from Brownell's or Midway:

Part number 46:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0...00_12__12_Mag_
Old October 22, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Vulcan Classic

Since I started the thread, I learned the spring is correctly called the "firing pin retractor spring". I've had this gun for years, fired thousands of rounds, never had the bolt apart. I did not stretch the spring, I said it looks like it was stretched. On close inspection, if it was not the length it is right now, it would not make any contact with the bolt. If anything it needs to be longer or stronger?
Old October 22, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
LongRifles, Inc.

A striker spring does wear out over time as does anything.

It also plays a significant role in how a firearm performs. An example:

In 2003 I was an armorer for the United States Palma Team. We were practicing at Camp Butner down in N.C. A shooter began having all sorts of elevation problems with his rifle. He was using an RPA quadlock that was a few years old and the spring had never been replaced.

This rifle was stringing elevation from one edge of the 7 ring to the other on the target back at the 1000 yard line. A 30 minute tune up with a new spring brought the gun right back to the 1/3rd minute groups that it used to shoot.

Hope this helped.

Chad

www.longriflesinc.com

Last edited by LongRifles, Inc.; October 22, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old October 22, 2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Vulcan Classic

Problem solved. I thought I would stretch it a little. when I tried I learned that the end that looked like it was coiled normal, or tighter, was actually broken. A piece about 1/2" had broke and had telescoped together making it look like it was coiled tighter. The other end was not stretched out, it was normal, it just looked wrong compared to the other end. Time to buy a new spring!