The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 18, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Gbro

There is more to sse than Deer.

Didn't see a deer this season, but this is a shot I took with my telephoto cell camera.

This shot was taken from 350+ yds with my motorola flip phone, and my handy little pocket monocular.
There were 26 Trumpeters spending the fall with us by the hunting shack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-16-08_0827.jpg (11.7 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by Gbro; December 18, 2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: change 250 to 350
Old December 18, 2008, 08:24 PM   #2
JonnyReb

So true. I know i don't go deer hunting just to shoot deer. Sometimes that happens but more often i get to watch untold numbers of critters that are the real reason i go.

This year has been my best yet in terms of species but the newest ones include coyotes, skunks, turkeys, all the regular furries and my first bobcat. I had a camera with me on every occasion but have not tried to take a single shot(pic) yet. Gotta work on that...J.R.
Old December 18, 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Swampghost

I don't think that many people hunt for sustenance as it's really pretty expensive for the return and there are rarely guaranties that you'll come home with food.

To me it's a sport that requires total concentration on something other than the usual day to day crapola. It's using your brain in a different and pleasant manner, watching how nature works and figuring how to best take advantage. Other times it is just enjoying the outdoors and hoping some animal (the right one) is dumber than you.
Old December 18, 2008, 09:49 PM   #4
JonnyReb

Yup, i agree with you swamp. I also think there is a genetic link to hunting/gathering that some of us connect with as well. I get a "wild" feeling sometimes when i'm totally into the hunt. I can get that feeling nowhere'sother than combat. And thats best avoided. We were all hunters once..J.R.
Old December 18, 2008, 10:07 PM   #5
onthejon55

so true! i go squirrel hunting and usually see at least one deer but no squirrels.
then opening day of deer season i see 5 squirrels and usually have at least one try to climb into my lap
Old December 18, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Fremmer

What do you mean there is more to see than beer?!?
Old December 19, 2008, 12:47 AM   #7
Jseime

That is something I have been missing dearly, I have been working like a mad man the last while and totally missed hunting season this year...

I see a lot of the world through the window of my jacked up GMC and in the last couple days I have seen three or four elk, a mamma moose with a calf and a few white-tails but havent actually been out in nature. I work in an area with lots of bush and close to the Rockies in Northern Alberta right now and I miss getting out on the prairie and going for a walk with a rifle.
Old December 20, 2008, 01:53 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...I miss getting out on the prairie and going for a walk with a rifle..." Time for a mental health day? A stroll in the bush, even in winter, is good for that.
Old December 20, 2008, 09:36 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Seeing wildlife is a reward. I was turkey hunting from a blind two weeks ago and actually had an owl hit my blind as it flew past. It was just a wing, but it was cool to see him cruise the creek.

Also saw three does loiter around my blind the same day at about 30 yards. Didn't see any does during deer season, so it was nice to watch them without being in "hunter" mode.
Old December 20, 2008, 01:41 PM   #10
shortwave

This is a great thread. When I was younger,20`s or so, hunting trips were more of a competitive thing. All of us wanted to shoot the most rabbits,pheasants,squirrel and biggest buck. Most of the old group still hunts together or at least stays in contact. Today, the comradity is more important than the competitiveness or the kills. Don`t get me wrong, we all usually still fill our freezers but the "trophies" are something different today.
Old December 20, 2008, 02:43 PM   #11
94bluerat

That is a great thing to see. I shared a moring with a bunch on the Eastern Shore about 6 years ago. Very cool.
Old December 22, 2008, 12:37 AM   #12
sc928porsche

I truely enjoy hunting. All the camping and such are just part of it. Packing a rifle up hill and down dale, through the brush and over the fallen logs, around and over boulders. You couldnt pay me enough to work that hard for anyone, but I will do it with great enjoyment for a chance of getting a shot. If I dont get that shot, then the day wasnt wasted because of all the wonders of nature that I see while doing it. Please dont ask me to pack a camera instead of a rifle, I enjoy the taste of game too much.
Old December 22, 2008, 02:36 AM   #13
fbrown333@suddenlink

hunting/outdoors

We are a hunting family. My wife is a city girl and doesn't like getting up early and going out in the cold but I have to darn near chain my boys (14,10,5) down to keep them inside rain or shine /snow/sleet you name it. They are always fighting over who gets to go with dad to the woods. Got to love em. I try to teach them that you don't have to shoot something every time you go to the woods and that if you pack it in you pack it out.
We have youth hunting day coming up and they already have their stuff set out to go.
I enjoy just being in the woods and watching the woodland critters do their thing. I am even outside when most people stay inside. I hate being cooped up inside at all, I even ride my cycle in the rain just to feel the wind on my face. Call me crazy but i'm a country boy, always have been and always will be.