The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2008, 08:05 AM   #1
xdshooter1

40 S&W load data?

I can't find any good load data for the 40 S&W using a 170gr cast lead bullet. I have called Hodgon for info and was told they could not recommend any becouse they have little data also. Are there good recipes in Lymanns cast lead bullet book for the 40S&W? If someone has found a better source of info, please share.
Thanks!!
XD
“There is no one to protect us. We must take the responsibility for personal safety into our own hands. While politicians attempt to control the masses, ultimately, we must remember that self defense is not a legal right, it is a human right.”
– David Kenik
Old February 23, 2008, 09:50 AM   #2
ShootingNut

Accurate Powder

Has the 175 lead listed, close enough as you could add just a tad more if you wanted with the lighter bullet.
I use Ac#5 for my .40 and .45 reloads.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/P...20to%20118.pdf
SN
Old February 23, 2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Sevens

It sure seems to me that cast lead bullet load data is scarce in most all calibers outside of the puff loads that recommend for cowboy action shooting. Especially from the powder manufacturers who really ought to be sharing data.

Because of this, you often have to begin on your own, taking data from a jacketed bullet of similar weight and reducing it 15-20%. That's what I do, build a few rounds that you KNOW are light, and might not even cycle your pistol.

Start low, build up, make maybe 5 rounds of each until you are cycling the pistol, watching for signs of pressure the whole way.

Sorry I don't have any data to share... I don't load for the .40.
Old February 23, 2008, 12:02 PM   #4
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Start low, build up, make maybe 5 rounds of each until you are cycling the pistol, watching for signs of pressure the whole way.
I'll add one other suggestion to this.

When you, as a reloader, get into the land of "beats the hell out of me" as it relates to loads for odd-weight bullets, this is where a chronograph can save your gun, your hand, and your love of reloading.

As Sevens says, start on the low side. If it fails to cycle your gun, so what? Take the ziploc baggie with the next five/ten rounds that have a ten/fifteen percent higher powder charge and try them out.

Once you get to the point that your gun cycles reliably, no stovepipes, etc, I'd run the rounds through the chronograph. Hell, I'd run the lowball rounds through it as well.

What the chronograph can help you do is formulate pressure by measuring velocity. There is a lot of math and physics and other obscene four-letter words in knowing how to do it (and I don't) for an advertising guy like me, but easiest way to get a plug-in formula for figuring it out would be to call the powder manufacturers.

Second easiest way would be to call your local college or universitiy's math/physics department and get help from a graduate student--it would be a real life application and they love working on things like that.

A chronograph is a great tool. Mine is on the blink--I've had it since I first started reloading. Bought it VERY used and VERY beat up from the IPSC club I first began shooting with. I think it's finally given up. I guess I got my twenty-five bucks worth from it.

No matter--you can get reliable ones for our purposes for less than $125 all day long.

I prefer to know what kind of ballistics I'm getting from my reloads.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 27, 2008, 09:25 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

in my actual personal 40 S&W 1911

I'm using a 175g LSWC over 5.0g Power Pistol, ignited by CCI500's, put up in used Federal cases.

My current "IPSC" load for this (relatively new to me) gun; I virtually never used many lead bullets for my other 40-chambered gun.
Old March 2, 2008, 07:02 PM   #6
Vstrom

I use AA#5 5.6 grains and Bullseye 5.0 grains with Grier hard cast 170gr. lswc's. My Glock 35 with a red dot sight, seems to like either load just fine, 10 shots in a 2" group at 50ft,with the AA, a little more spread with the Bullseye. A little leading after 200 rounds but then I clean my guns after every shooing session. This is a mild load and has a small amount of recoil but still cycles the slide and it holds open on the last shot. I have not had any stove pipes or ejection problems with either powder. The AA load if fast becoming my target load! hope this helped!!