The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1
PitBull

Rifle round crimping question.

Most of my reloading has been for handgun rounds and to a lesser degree for bolt action rifles . Now that I have a progressive I want to do more for the semi-auto .223 and .308's. Is it neccessary to crimp these?
A lot of the bullets I've seen in these calibers had no crimp groove. I've read were a lot of others crimp theirs and I was going to get Lee crimp dies to use in my Hornady Lock-n-load AP (if they'll even work in that press) but if it's not going to be neccessary I won't bother.
I guess what I need to know is what is crimping the case mouth going to do for me if I do or do to me if I don't?

Thanks,
Pitbull
Old February 28, 2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Wildalaska

My rule is always crimp for semi autos.

I do however, make up my own rules

So YYMV

WildgoaheadcrimpemAlaska ™
Old February 28, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Tim R

It depends......is there a crimp groove? If not no. Most of the bullets I shoot are slick sided SMK's, the hunting bullets I use, etc. I have never crimped any thing for my AR's and darn few for my M-1's and bolt guns. 30-30 is a whole 'nother story.
Old February 28, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4
freakshow10mm

I run a FCD with my rifles.
Old February 28, 2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Go Kiwi

I always use the factory crimp with my autoloader & usually use it for hunting ammo as well, crimp groove or not. I started crimping following a misfeed where the projectile got shoved right back into the case. I would not like to have fired this round and the projectile to have jammed up in the throat or something similar?

I saw a test somewhere on the net where after a few shots the projectiles left in the magazine were measurably shorter (or longer - I forget!) than when loaded
Old February 29, 2008, 12:21 AM   #6
4sarge

Quote:
I was going to get Lee crimp dies to use in my Hornady Lock-n-load AP (if they'll even work in that press)
I use them in my LNL. I've pretty much tossed the ejection wire aside though.
I like the FCD's as they are not as sensitive to case length and you can attain a more uniform tension.
Old February 29, 2008, 04:22 PM   #7
30Cal

You don't need to crimp. The bulk of competitive service rifle shooters (M1, M14, AR15) don't crimp.
Old February 29, 2008, 06:37 PM   #8
PitBull

Thanks for the replies.
I crimp all of my handgun rounds to mostly smooth out the belled portion of the case mouth from the expander die. Rifles I've never been sure of since I don't expand the case mouth for the bullet. If there isn't a crimp grove I have a hard time seeing any value added.
Old March 2, 2008, 02:50 PM   #9
PitBull

Today I went ahead and bought one anyway for .308. Won't cost much to try.
Old March 2, 2008, 02:55 PM   #10
The Tourist

If I was just going to handload a few rounds for the weekend--not subjecting them to hard use--I probably wouldn't crimp at all to save wear and tear on the brass.

If I was going to shoot for bullseyes, I would trim, measure OAL, trickle powder, etc., and find a die with a taper crimp just to bump the brass a bit.

If I thought my handloads were going to be used for defense, survival conditions, rough handling, etc. I might even collett crimp.

I haven't gone to South Dakota for prairie dog shooting in a few years. Most of the stuff that is ready in my gunroom is totally without a crimp.
Old March 2, 2008, 03:12 PM   #11
CrustyFN

I do the same as freak and use the FCD. I use very little crimp for 223, I don't load for 308.
Rusty