The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2008, 09:33 AM   #26
WESHOOT2

basis

Based on actual people actually shot with documented ammo from real guns.

It may seem ridiculous, but data is data, and aftewards it's up to us to correlate "should be" into "what is".
Old February 27, 2008, 01:03 PM   #27
saudst

Loads for the backwoods.

I have tested many different loads for a variety of applications over the years, and that is exactly what you may encounter on a walkabout. A variety of circumtsances, snakes, on up to the dangerest kind 2 and 4 legged.

The deepest penetrateing load Ive found bar none, [ and I've tried the 180 gr. jacked] is the 200 gr. WFNGC from Cast Performance. Sorry I don't have a load for 2400 because I use H110, but the manufacture will supply what your looking for.

My son and I carry on walkabouts and the first 2 rounds in his .357 are hand loaded shot capsules, the next 4 are 200 gr. WFNGC's. The snake loads are usualy needed quick.

Nate, and anyone else, please take this for what it"s worth. I started loading 28 years ago when I was 18, and shortly into it, I mistakenly seated large rifle primers into my .44 mag. casses. I did notice that they were sticking out a hair above the case head, but only after they were done. I was smart enough at 19 not to try to seat them deeper with the powder over them, but not experienced enough to pull them and start over. The outcome was the cartrige to the right of the chamber on recoil went off as well and dismanteled my super blackhawk. Another reason not to use rifle primers in a handgun cartrige is your takeing your first line of defense away from yourself as far as pressure signs go, flattened primers. Thanks for your time. Tim.
Old February 27, 2008, 08:18 PM   #28
SL1

saudst,

How much H110 are you putting in your 200 gr WFNGC loads? And, do you know what velocity you are getting?

SL1
Old February 27, 2008, 09:28 PM   #29
Sevens

That's a rough way to lose a Super Black Hawk. It's amazing that yourself or someone else wasn't hurt in that incident. But just in the interest of sharing the info, we should make something clear:

Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers, and can't be used in their place for exactly the reason you noted.

But small rifle primers are the same dimensions as small pistol primers and are sometimes used as a guard against high pressure rounds.

Some new manufactured brass in new calibers are designed to use rifle primers in what we know as handgun cartridges, but those that use the larger primer size also have deeper primer pockets specifically for this.

Also, even if you elect to substitute a small rifle primer in place of a small pistol primer, you need to work your load up again and don't start with a max load. That's a good way to take apart a fine gun.

And if you made the mistake of using a small pistol primer in a rifle round that asked for a small rifle primer, you might witness a pierced primer and gas flow from it that could damage your gun, or melt part of your face.

These are just a couple reasons why you shouldn't handload when distracted.
Old February 27, 2008, 11:49 PM   #30
Prince55

Saudst,

Does your gun have an extra long chamber to accept the 200 gr.
cast bullet ?

Thanks
Old February 27, 2008, 11:58 PM   #31
freakshow10mm

The 357 Mag cylinder will fit a 215gr SWC. These are 1.660".

Old February 28, 2008, 12:40 PM   #32
saudst

Blackhawk gone!

I was lucky the weather was bad and there was no one at the range. exept me and my cousin because on the second shot, it seemed to kick more, and I heard the peices of metal hitting the benches to my right. Thank God no one was in the way. I looked at the gun to find two top chambers missing and the topstrap heaved up. everything went just over my right finger without a scratch. It's been hanging above my loading bench ever since. I have alot of checks and balances in place now!

The load my son uses for his Blackhawk .357, I will not say here as I don't know what gun it will end up in, however, Chris Hodgdon gave me a load of 12.7 gr. of H100, with a 200 gr. WFNGC, supposed to give @ 1070 fps.? Kenny's gun digests a bit more all day without any preasure signs at all, but we have a cronograph, and know we are safe in his gun, I can't speak for any other. Invest in a Chrony. They are cheap, and along with paying attention to the preasure signs, keep you out of danger. They will also help if you shoot rifles as you can get the exact velocity from your gun, and go to JBM trajectories.com, it is a great site for all the free balistics you will ever need.

Good luck and safe shooting, Tim.

Last edited by saudst; February 28, 2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Hodgdon spelled wrong, sorry.
Old February 28, 2008, 12:42 PM   #33
saudst

Prince, The crimp groove is such that it keeps the O.A.L. within specs.