The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Road_Clam

Anyone experienced "trigger finger sting" ?

I don't know why this occurrence keeps happening but whenever I fire over say over 30 rounds from my Glock G22 I always get annoying trigger "slap" or "sting" on my trigger finger tip. I have 4 other semi's and my G22 is the only gun that does this. I tend to break my shot and hold the trigger rearward and slowly release to reset the sear then break another shot. My G22 is completely stock , no mods. Not sure if i'm doing something wrong, or i'm just a wuss and need a callous on my finger tip ?
Old March 16, 2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Slamfire

I had it with my Match 30-06 bolt gun. I adjusted the trigger with a minimum amount of travel after trigger break. The rifle recoiled hard enough that when it moved back forward, (I use a tight sling), the trigger was immovable and jammed my finger. And it hurt.

What I did was increase the over travel on the trigger, to the point where it did not hurt anymore.

I don't know what to say about your pistol. If it has an over travel adjustment, increase it.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:58 PM   #3
mulespurs

My experience

I used to shoot a Browning A-5. It always seemed to me that I must be a trigger smasher, holding on with a death grip I guess, when I pulled the trigger. That trigger would spank me if I shot it a lot.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:10 PM   #4
Stats Shooter

My fully converted SAIGA .308 requires a glove if you are going to shoot more than about 10 rounds. It slaps the trigger finger aggressively .
Old March 16, 2018, 10:16 PM   #5
tranders

Anyone experienced "trigger finger sting" ?

I get trigger slap with polymer CZ75 clones. Got it bad with an SAR Clone. So bad I couldn’t finish a magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 16, 2018, 10:37 PM   #6
NWPilgrim

I've only had that happen when shooting a Glock in .357 SIG. Man that is a snappy round, and I shoot .40S&W all the time with no problem even in the G27. I love how flat shooting the .357SIG is, but do not enjoy the trigger finger slap. I don;t know if it is from the trigger face itself or the trigger guard but it hurts. I'll stick to my 4" S&W M29 Mountain Gun and 23.0 gr H110.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 16, 2018, 10:49 PM   #7
disseminator

My Glock 20 G4 does it. I hate the trigger and would enjoy the gun a lot more with a different one. I will get a new trigger too one of these days.
Old March 16, 2018, 11:50 PM   #8
tranders

I wonder what causes this phenomenon? For me, what I experience is like an intense vibration that stings the pad of my trigger finger.

Like I said in my first post, the only firearms to date that I have experienced this with are polymer CZ 75 clones.
Old March 17, 2018, 12:05 AM   #9
Snuffy308

Sure have. Commonly known as trigger slap. AKs are notorious for it.
Old March 17, 2018, 01:12 AM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

AKs are notorious for trigger slap because the bolt carrier physically strikes the top part part of the modified U.S. made trigger that replaces the original trigger on many AKs when the bolt carrier returns forward. If you replace it with a better made trigger that goes away.

Not sure why you are having the issue with the Glock 22. Is it possible the slide is hitting the trigger bar as it moves forward? See any unusual wear or bright spots there?
Old March 17, 2018, 01:20 AM   #11
rock185

Yes, I have experienced that. I had a CZ75B that I experienced trigger finger slap or sting with. Afterwards, I saw it mentioned on the internet with these pistols. Apparently, CZ had reshaped the trigger since the Pre B guns I'd owned. I had never experienced it with the CZ75 pre B pistols at all.....
Old March 17, 2018, 02:09 AM   #12
Mosin44az

The Glock trigger safety sticks out of the rest of the trigger when the safety is fully depressed: a bad design that other manufacturers (e.g. Springfield XD series) managed to avoid.

Glock probably was more interested in making sure the safety was fully disabled on firing than the shooter’s comfort. The result, in my experience, is that every Glock over 9mm stings my trigger finger.

I took an exacto knife and VERY CAREFULLY trimmed away the part sticking out while holding the trigger safety depressed, with the trigger in the forward (not pulled) position. Eventually trimmed the safety down to where its contour, when it is fully depressed, matches the trigger face, while still ensuring that it works properly. You might Google “ Trim Glock trigger safety “ and find some examples.
Old March 17, 2018, 02:12 AM   #13
Rob228

The last round in a magazine out of my Ruger .22/45 typically makes the trigger smack my finger. Can't figure that one out.
Old March 17, 2018, 04:17 AM   #14
chaim

My 1999 manufacture CZ 75B does not have it, nor did my similar era (I think it was made in 2002) CZ 40B. However, my CZ P01 has it pretty bad. The first time I took it out I ended up with a 1/2 centimeter cut on my finger. The trigger slap is still there, but has been getting a bit better with subsequent range trips, then again, in memory of the 1st trip, I rarely shoot more than a box of ammo at a time out of it now.
Old March 17, 2018, 04:48 AM   #15
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az
The Glock trigger safety sticks out of the rest of the trigger when the safety is fully depressed: a bad design that other manufacturers (e.g. Springfield XD series) managed to avoid.

Glock probably was more interested in making sure the safety was fully disabled on firing than the shooter’s comfort. The result, in my experience, is that every Glock over 9mm stings my trigger finger.

I took an exacto knife and VERY CAREFULLY trimmed away the part sticking out while holding the trigger safety depressed, with the trigger in the forward (not pulled) position. Eventually trimmed the safety down to where its contour, when it is fully depressed, matches the trigger face, while still ensuring that it works properly. You might Google “ Trim Glock trigger safety “ and find some examples.
Great feedback, i'll do some research.

I actually have on the shelf an aftermarket Glocktriggers 3.5# kit but had light primer strike issues after I installed the kit so ended up going back to a stock trigger setup. I think I might just try the Glocktriggers kit to see if the trigger slap lessens. Never considered the Glock safety tang as the source.
Old March 17, 2018, 06:45 AM   #16
Whirlwind06

Kel-Tec P-11 was terrible for me.
Old March 17, 2018, 06:52 AM   #17
223 shooter

Quote:
I don't know why this occurrence keeps happening but whenever I fire over say over 30 rounds from my Glock G22 I always get annoying trigger "slap" or "sting" on my trigger finger tip.
A shooter at the range let me shoot his Glock and I felt a sting or pinch feeling in the trigger with every shot. Not sure what the model was but it was a .40 cal. Not at all pleasant to shoot.

I rented a G43 at a range a few years and that pistol did not exhibit anything like that.
Old March 17, 2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Dan-O

Another vote for the kel tec p-11.
Old March 17, 2018, 10:47 AM   #19
Overkill777

My first handgun, a CZ 40-P. It had bad trigger slap for me. My finger would be stinging bad after a couple mags. I sold it to my cousin and he said he didn't notice it.

I have been considering offering to buy it back from him and try to eliminate the trigger slap. Is there and modification or replacement parts to correct this?
Old March 17, 2018, 10:52 AM   #20
pete2

Glocks all bite my trigger finger, a Ruger 22/45 does it on the last round, I had a Taurus that did it. In my case it's the end of the trigger pinching my finger against the trigger guard. One reason I don't own a Glock. I think reshaping the trigger would prolly be the answer but there are plenty other guns that don't do it, most in fact don't pinch.
Old March 17, 2018, 11:31 AM   #21
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
AKs are notorious for trigger slap because the bolt carrier physically strikes the top part part of the modified U.S. made trigger that replaces the original trigger on many AKs when the bolt carrier returns forward. If you replace it with a better made trigger that goes away.
Guess i'm fortunate , I have a Zastava Serbian Opap with the Tapco G2 trigger and she's a smooth shooter as far as trigger slap, however during hot months when I sweat I get wicked cheek slap/burn from the Yugo style butt stock. If i'm not sweating on my face then it's not an issue.
Old March 17, 2018, 12:00 PM   #22
tangolima

Work the action manually and you may identify the exactly spot where trigger slaps the trigger finger. Likely spots are when striker is fired (trigger over travel), when trigger is disconnected, and when the striker is re-cocked. Only after that effective improvement can be made.

Just like felt recoil, trigger slap is also subjective. Some are due to the trigger mechanism, some are induced by recoil. In some cases it is worsened by the trigger face texture. Some shooters are more sensitive to it than the others.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old March 17, 2018, 05:44 PM   #23
k4swb

My Ruger LC9s Pro bites my finger but if I use the first joint instead of the pad, all is well.
Old March 17, 2018, 07:49 PM   #24
Louca

I had it happen with an HK VP9 I was trying out. I'm an HK fan and wanted so badly to like the VP9, but that trigger slap was a deal breaker. I got a Walther PPQ instead and I have been VERY happy with it. Another reason it's always good to try before buying!
Old March 17, 2018, 09:49 PM   #25
Mosin44az

Might not be trigger slap with that VP9. Might be that silly “trench” HK dug for the trigger so they could have a cooler looking low profile trigger guard. It pinched me repeatedly, sometimes causing a blister after awhile.

If you consciously hold your trigger finger higher you can avoid the pinch, but I sure wasn’t going to alter my approach just because HK doesn’t care about ergonomics. I note the SK doesn’t have the trench, so maybe they are learning.

AK slap sufferers: the Tapco G2 trigger mentioned is supposed to solve that problem.