The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 31, 2015, 12:16 PM   #26
Duzell

interesting development with faxon firearms barrel

LR308:

so as noted in my post , i ordered a 20" faxon fluted heavy barrel black nitride qpq

well today when measuring my OAL to a specific point, I found its 2 inchs shorter then it needs to be for my stock idea to work, I then checked all my parts and my barrel was 18 inches not 20 inches

for those who dont know
CA legal OAL in shortest position is 30" tip to lowest part in back if firearm is able to fire. I have a stock modification i was measuring for that shortens my rifle significantly in the rear . this conflicts and would classify the rifle as illegal if i did so.

so called them up this morning
answered by a pleasant women who transferred me to "bob" I believe it was Mr. Faxon himself (not what i was expecting at 9 am)

nice guy BTW , stands by his product. so chatted with him about my barrel length issue, again I love this barrel , but shorter then necessary for my purposes, so we looked over my order and I did have a 20" ect in my order receipt. but what i got was a 18"

he stated

" they are not even ready yet, the 20" fluted heavy is still in blanks and is 4 weeks out from deployment, I'm very sorry but it appears you ordered it somehow , before the product was even available"

I then stated I had ordered it during shot show, from the site as it showed it as available , when received it looked like its picture and I trusted the company and just kept it till i was ready to install and measure.

He then asked me to return the barrel , and Im hoping eventually I get my 20" when they are ready to go..?

I was very satisfied with our chat and hope to eventually get one of those ARAKs he also sells also ... make a nice review of operations and mechanics and such

just a little sad now, I have returned the barrel and now im one part down , just as I got the BCG and charge handle and was that much closer to completion

Last edited by Duzell; April 3, 2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old October 16, 2015, 09:55 AM   #27
Duzell

UPDATE

Lr308:
so .. drama with faxon firearms

returned barrel, they never made the new one, i had to repeatedly email for a refund/ eta for barrel and kept saying (in a week). eventually they gave me my money back..kinda

support stated it would be instantly refunded, then i get a new email stating it will be mailed out in a check....

then they "forgot" to mail it for a few weeks ....did eventually get

basically took my money as a loan for 7 months with zero interest and never delivered the product ..uncool ..this was not a good impression on me
(barrel ordered in January, stated it would be delivered in may...summer came, no barrel)

AR15 Builds:
so helping some friends make custom builds

been working on this one for a while, but it is as follows

NiB upper(forged) , WMDNib-x BCG
standard forged lower from yankee hill
Heavy fluted bull barrel / stainless 556

Midwest Industries:
Handguarded Keymod , Buffer/tube and spring
DPMS LPK
and bravo company ambi charge handle

Old January 21, 2016, 01:35 PM   #28
Duzell

Lr308: update 2016

after the "issue" with faxon, I went about researching a new 308 barrel. many had good traits and qualities. but none that peeked my interest for the rifle.

after lots of research I ran into blackholeweaponry i was intrigued by the 3 polygonal rifling and the reported good groupings many who had bought them reported

so I ordered a 24" RTS model and have to say I'm rather impressed with its quality. the barrel perfectly snugged in to the aero precision M5 upper, unlike the faxon barrel which was a bit tight on the cerakote. the blackholeweaponry barrel is very well manufactured. it is smooth and has a shot peen texture, not the simple machined stainless feel ive seen in many barrels. every part looks well executed.

the interesting part is the rifling, when inspecting it looks much different then a standard design. its also supposed to be easier to clean (yay). this is a 3 polygonal rifling type

The weight and feel is similar to a bull barrel for 556/300 aac ive handled before.

overal i look forward to putting it to use

Tags
ar10 , ar15 , drkdragon , duzell