The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 1999, 10:10 PM   #1
DS

Hi to everyone here. I am looking to buy an M1 tactical. I have located one, but the guy says it has a 5 and 7 shot tube. I thought the prebans had a 7 round capacity. Any help on the prebans like serial numbers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 22, 1999, 10:19 PM   #2
Spyderman

I just did the same thing - check down the thread a little for the other post. There is an address for a serial number registry that lists various SN,s and whether or not it is Preban. As far as I have been told, You can have a POSTban M1 with a seven shot tube, but it may NOT also have the pistol grip type "tactical" stock. If you have the tactical stock, you are limited to 5 shot tubes. Regardless, it is an awesome shotgun and you'll love it. Hope this helps.
-Spyderman
Old December 23, 1999, 01:59 PM   #3
p1445

The Benelli m1 super 90 is a great shotgun. I love mine, and haven't had a single problem with it. The BATF home page has the assult weapons law posted if you have any questions. http://www.atf.treas.gov/core/firear...ws/semiaut.htm

p1445
Old December 26, 1999, 02:39 AM   #4
dwestfall

On a Benelli M1 Super 90, what's the largest possible magazine capacity with a 18.5" barrel (or the shortest barrel available if longer than 18")? (Without the tube protruding beyond the muzzle.)

Wondering how many rounds you lose by buying a post-ban pistol-gripped version if you have the shortest barrel possible.
Old December 26, 1999, 11:48 AM   #5
olazul

It is my limited understanding that the preban benelli's had a single, solid, mag tube ("hicap"). It was only the postban that had the threaded tube for an extension if the straight stock was substituted for the pistol grip.

regards

olazul

Old December 26, 1999, 04:30 PM   #6
p1445

Dwestfall:

The longest extension for an 18.5" barrel would be a +4, which will give you 7 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, and one on the carrier, for a grand total of 9 rounds. I know some people who shoot Bennilli's with mag tubes which extend past the muzzle, with no ill effects. Hope this helps.

p1445

Oh yea,

From my understanding of the law(taken from the batf site), the largest mag capacity on a post ban, with a pistol grip is 5. So you could have 5 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, and 1 on the carrier, for a total of 7.

[This message has been edited by p1445 (edited December 26, 1999).]
Old December 28, 1999, 01:30 AM   #7
dwestfall

Considering I can only get 6 in my 870 mag (+1 in the chamber) I guess that's not bad. I currently download by one anyway for slug select and keep the chamber empty for around the house.

I've heard that slug-select is very different with the Benelli so I might be able to keep the same number in the mag as I have now with my 870. Not too bad after all. And since these seem to have made it "under the radar" for CA's ban, I can still get one next year!

Old December 30, 1999, 10:42 PM   #8
parabellum

DS--I'm a brand new member and I just saw this thread. If you look on the receiver of the shotgun down by the trigger gaurd assembly, you'll see some proofmarks. There will be two letters in a small square. These letters indicate the year of manufacture. The code for the year 1994( the year of the ban implementation ) is BD. If the code is BC,BB,BA, or anything beginning with A, it's a preban gun. If the code is BD, it MAY be a preban gun. Anything with a code higher than BD would indicate manufacture in '95 or later and would be postban. I bought an M1 Tactical in August '94( before the ban ) and Benelli had already begun putting two shot extensions on the gun, so this would not be an indicator of preban or post.