The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 4, 2017, 02:31 PM   #1
rjinga

Dogs and Bulls-eyes

For the past few days I’ve been fighting through some serious head and chest congestion. However, yesterday was the best available day this week, so I sucked it up and headed out to the range anyway. Given my “diminished” state, I shot everything off of the table using a gun rest. The rifle was a PTR 91 GI with iron sights:

The ammunition was MEN16 for the first two targets, and then German surplus the rest of the way:

25 yds (supposed to simulate full-size at 100 yds); 41 out of 50 possible points. I was experimenting with different cheek weld placements.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old May 4, 2017, 02:32 PM   #2
rjinga

Cont.

50 yds (supposed to simulate full-size at 200 yds); 41 out of 50 possible points again. I have no explanation, or excuse, for the flyer.

75 yds (supposed to simulate full-size at 300 yds); 26 out of 50 possible points. To give you an idea of my sight picture, the fuzzy lower edge of each side of the black silhouette barely sticks out beyond the edges of the front post.

100 yds (supposed to simulate full-size at 400 yds); 29 out of 50 possible points. To give you an idea of my sight picture at this distance, now the fuzzy edge of each side of the 11” wide paper barely sticks out beyond the edges of the front post. The 10th shot was just above the paper. And, not to brag too much, but do you know how hard it is to hit a push-pin (lower left corner) at 100 yds with only iron sights? Nailed it!

I shot the next two targets as a set; they were side-by-side at 50 yds. It might be too small to read, but the squares are 1”. So, the bulls-eye has a 1” diameter, the smaller black circle is 0.5” wide with a 2” diameter, the white circle is 1” wide with a 4” diameter, the orange square is 3”, and the larger black circle is 1” wide with a 6” diameter. At this distance, the front post would basically cover the 6" circle.

I fired one shot each at each target and then checked with my binoculars. Then, I fired two more shots each at each target (switching back and forth with each shot) and checked again. And then I fired the last two shots at each target.

I shot the last target (1.5” red square) at 50 yds also, but this time I fired all five rounds without checking in between shots.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm