The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 11, 2004, 01:54 AM   #1
Tryptic

M1 Garand Question.

Hello, well I'll get to the point, I just acquired and M1 Garand, its a Beretta Model. These are the serial numbers that I can see on various parts of the rifle.

BERETTA-ARMI
ROMA-ITALIA

B.M.R D.6528291

(right below a little crown)
FKF Nr PB 9149

(on the ejector)
D-28287 BMB 913

D35382 6 SA

(on the stock)
PB 9149
The stock is weird, its got a little flap on the end that when you open it, it looks like a couple of shotgun shells go in there, but I imagine its for ammo. There is a bayonette aswell its got the same little crown with HTK under it. and then on the blade itself it says 1942. U. (then an onion lookin thing) S.

Can someone tell me what this rifle might be worth, also excuse my Serial numbers, I'm not sure as to what part of the rifle they are on.

Thanks.
Old August 12, 2004, 03:31 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Tryptic,

I'm going to move this over to Harley Nolden's forum. You'll be more likely to get the answers you seek there.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old August 15, 2004, 04:37 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

What, no answers yet??

Tryptic, there are several members of TFL who are VERY knowledgeable about Garand rifles, and I hope a couple will chime in. Until then, though - - -

It is my understanding that the USA gave a lot of military aid to the Italians following V-E day, probably mostly in hopes of getting the jump on the communists during the power vacuum. We sent them a lot of weaponry, mostly small arms, and the majority of those were M1 rifles.

The Piettro Beretta arms firm was able to take over reconditioning a lot of well-used Garands. I've read somewhere that we also sent over a lot of new component parts whech were also assembled into new rifles.

Anyhow, the PB 9149 indicates the Beretta firm. I imagine the crown over HTK on the bayonet is just an Italian acceptance or proof mark. You don't describe the bayonet itself, but the onion-like mark is the U.S. Ordnance flaming bomb proof mark, indicating this is an American produced blade.

It wasn't long before Beretta began making up their own parts, both for the conventional M1, and later the BM59, a shorter rifle, mostly with a 20-round box magazine. The model has been described as a cross between the M1 Garand and the later M14 rifle. It was a good battle rifle in its own right.

My meager contribution . . .

Johnny
Old August 15, 2004, 05:30 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Sounds like you have an M1 Garand built by Beretta. I have read that we gave Italy the complete engineering package for the rifle after WW II and they supplemented rifles we gave them with new production. In those days the Italian Army issued two M1s per squad and the other men carried submachine guns.

The rifle's serial number is the one on the receiver behind the rear sight. Numbers elsewhere on the rifle are blueprint numbers for manufacture of the parts. Little crowns and other cryptic marks are Italian proof marks from government required testing as is common in Europe.

The hole under the "little flap" in the butt is for storage of cleaning gear.

The CMP will sell an American who shoots a CMP or NRA match or two an M1 for $550. Less for lend-lease rifles returned from Denmark or Greece. (Many with Beretta or Breda repair parts.) Rifles out on the commercial market usually cost more. I don't know about the dollar value of a Beretta M1.
Old August 16, 2004, 12:34 AM   #5
Tryptic

Man that's some cool stuff, I appreciate it!!