The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2011, 12:40 PM   #51
Maxem0815

Bird Shot & Human target

Well If I read this correct you were wondering if game and target shot is good against a human. Sheriff deputy told me that gangs are killing each other with bird shot at close range and its a mess. As for the cat or dog by by. It also depends on your distance from the target 10 feet dead guy anyone behind 2 pieces of 1/2 inch sheet rock safe, now I did not say unhurt, but survivability is excellent. 00 Buckshot or any heavy shot sheet rock maybe not a good shield. Personally I use #4 shot for Home defense doesn't go through exterior walls easy and close range no pattern just a big hole.

Mace
Old August 18, 2011, 06:58 PM   #52
AirborneMosinFan

Bought a new rail mount for my maverick 88

I mounted a flashlight and it works and looks great. Check out cheaper then dirt for cheap universal mounts
Old August 18, 2011, 08:13 PM   #53
Dennis1209

Contrary to popular belief, there is a Rx for those that sleep walk into someone's home. Lead poisoning has been found to cure burglary, home invasion, criminal trespass and drug dependency. Just a small dose of DOUBLE AUT has been found to relieve the criminal symptom. Side affects may include; ringing of the ears, unforgettable racking sound, bright flash, a burning sensation of the thorax, an expulsion of gray matter and a loss of bladder control. Beware of imposter's making the same claim (Bird shot, #4, #2, etc.). Don't walk, RUN, to the nearest store and pick up your new box of 00 Buck Shot!!!

Disclaimer: Bird shot is for birds. A .45 or any handgun is for CCW outside the home. A 12 ga. shotgun with 00 Buck shot is the ONLY reliable home defense sausage grinder intended to STOP the threat, NOW.

Rem 870.jpg
Old August 19, 2011, 08:17 AM   #54
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Beware of imposter's making the same claim (Bird shot, #4, #2, etc.). Don't walk, RUN, to the nearest store and pick up your new box of 00 Buck Shot!!!
I'm guessing you are young and that since 00 is right for you it is right for anybody in every situation. Don't worry, you will get over that. We all do.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 20, 2011, 12:26 PM   #55
wilson133

Wow, this argument is a everlasting and as much fun as .45 vs 9mm or 1911 vs Glock.
The only time I am going to use deadly force is if I feel that I have no choice. Been there, they ran back out the door, and nobody got shot. This is an optimal outcome.
If I have to shoot, it will be to stop an attacker asap and I will not use marginal equipment. No pistol comes anywhere near a shotgun or rifle for stopping deadly problems. Pistols are for when you have to carry concealed. I carry pistols everyday but I don't have any Hollywood illusions about them.
Rather than relying on what Granpappy told you or the guy in the gun store told you or what a cop told you, check out the actual facts. Google is your friend, there is plenty of video and pictures available showing how effective bird shot is and the answer is that it is marginal.
Most of the time bad guys will run at the sight of a gun, so anything will work. In most of the remaining shots fired with get them running whether you hit them or not, anything, including bird shot will work here also. If you need to stop a determined attacker bird shot may or it may not work, I don't want to find that out.
Unless you live in a very rural area, slugs are not worth the risk. Every bullet has a lawyer attached and slugs going through the neighborhood is way too exciting for me. At home defense distances buckshot is a far better stopper.
If you are worried about your walls use airsoft, bird shot will tear up drywall, again google it for demonstrations.
The only effective round that has low penetration is 5.56, preferably with varment loads, but they won't work in my shotgun.
Old August 22, 2011, 01:26 PM   #56
grousebuster

20 ga.?

My plan will not be palatable to some but here it is.First I'm a Marine,Viet Vet-no not an ex Marine as I'm still breathing.First line of defense in the house is Rocko-90 pound German Shepherd who does not care for people who are not family.He has better ears and nose than I do.Second a 20 gauge-I know-I have a multitude of firearms to chose from but-it's a short-legal-side by side with 6 rounds of 3in #4 buck in an elastic carrier on the stock.I have shot #4 buck out of this gun at an old automobile and the shot penetrates completely through the door panels.Plenty of penetrations for in house use in my opinion.2 rapid shots which unless the local chapter of the Hells Angels kicks in the door should get things started or ended nicely.And yes I have practiced reloading and can do it quite fast-not nearly as fast as follow up shots from a 1911 or my model 19 but I don't have to worry about rounds leaving the house.Anyone learn about a vertical butt stroke in infantry training?Try that with a hangun-kind of last resort though.lol The original poster I suspect is fairly inexperienced but a 20 is not a completly bad choice IMHO if-it's all you have or is one that offers multiple shots and if as others have suggested a better overall plan is developed.The NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home is a must read to cover most possibilities.

Tags
12 gauge , 20 gauge , home invasion , self defense