The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2006, 07:46 PM   #1
hippo

Winchester Mod 50

I recently read an article in Shotgun Sports (Jan 06 edition) on the Winchester Model 50. Today, while browsing through a local gun store, I noticed a good clean Mod 50 sitting in the rack. I looked it over and it appears to be a good clean gun, showing honest field wear and no signs of abuse. I believe it is one of the light weight models because of the aircraft alunimum reciever. Anyhow, I would appreciate any information or opinions that folks could provide on this partidcular gun. I have not put down any mone on the gun, but I am attracted to the old stuff and the more complicated the machining and functioning the better I like the firearm. All I know about the Model 50 is that they are recoil operated as opposed to gas operated and are supposed to be mild in the felt recoil department.
Old February 19, 2006, 04:58 AM   #2
beaver396

one of the better automatic shotguns you can buy.

you wont be dissapointed
Old February 19, 2006, 02:30 PM   #3
dgludwig

Almost 200,000 Model 50s from the mid-fifties to the very early sixties. They came with steel and aluminum receivers. The aluminum ones were dubbed "Feather Weights" and generally bring more in terms of monetary value. Over the years, I have noticed a few 50s (as well as some 59s) with cracks on the receiver, located directly behind the charging bolt slot.

Nicely made shotguns. In the condition described , I wouldn't pay much more than $400.00, with $350.00 being more likely.
Old February 19, 2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Funny, I shot some trap today with a guy that had one. He didn't even know what it was. A Polychoke topped it off.

Good working guns. This used the floating chamber invented and patented by Marsh Willams, the designer of the M-1 Carbine.

Recoil operated, so there's more kick than with the popular gas autos now it vogue, but reliable, simple and usually easy to clean.