The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2001, 03:54 PM   #26
Romulus

Gary, was it the Walmart in Rohnert Park, btw? I've never received any decent sort of treatment by those jerks...I bought a 14-gun cabinet and they refused to load it for me...they said "here's a cart, you're a big guy, you can handle it..." I had to lift the dam thing onto the cart with no help.

However, I will swallow my dignity and go back there if the 1100 goes on sale for $206...
Old May 26, 2001, 04:38 PM   #27
Gary H

No, it was on the other side of the bay. I suspect that the politics of the area combined with the entry level type of job results in poor service.

Also, it seems that these ten percent reductions in price may not occur regularly at one week intervals. As far as I can tell, one week has passed and the price has not dropped below $328.

[Edited by Gary H on 05-29-2001 at 04:48 PM]
Old May 30, 2001, 02:48 PM   #28
RobW

I had such bad experiences with the Wallys that I would rather buy a used 1100 as to deal with them again. They don't have employees, they have total idiots!
Old May 30, 2001, 06:36 PM   #29
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The 1100's are gone here.. That 328 price flat moved them out. Central SC.....

Giz
Old May 30, 2001, 09:31 PM   #30
Recon

They still have plenty in NE PA. Only problem they are still 369.00
Old May 31, 2001, 03:20 PM   #31
Gary H

ANY PRICE DROPS BELOW $328???

Thought that we could follow the price down. I might pick-up another gun should the price be right..and if I can find one. Obviously, finding one is the problem.
Old June 4, 2001, 09:28 PM   #32
fasteddie

A Bargain on 1100s

Just picked up an 1100 here in Las Vegas for $267.00 from one of the friendly Walmarts. Thank you Dave McC for the timely information. The local manager also said that they were changing there layout and becoming more gunfriendly so to speak. They will be carrying powder for the musket crowd and many other enhancements to come within the month.
Old June 5, 2001, 05:39 AM   #33
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome,FastEddie. Can't seem to find one here, I may have done myself a disservice by announcing this before I got one. Not the first time, for sure.

Oh,well....
Old June 5, 2001, 10:45 AM   #34
Recon

Dave,
I just stopped by the local store. They have 10-15 in stock. The price was still at 369. I talked to the guy behind the counter. seems like it is up to the individual store manager about how fast the price drops. Some crap about cutting into profits. Looks like I'll be waiting a couple more weeks! Luckily where I'm at most people can't read let alone use a computer!
Old June 5, 2001, 11:57 AM   #35
johnbt

I called every WM in Richmond before I found one at the Mechanicsville, VA store. They had 2 in the back at the 4/30 price of $328 and no other reduction in sight.

Now they have one.

Thank you everyone!

Now, about that locking safety.

John
Old June 5, 2001, 07:07 PM   #36
Bruegger

Light loads

The 7/8 oz loads work just fine in my 1100, and I have this exact Wally-Mart model.

Never once a FTF or FTE.
Old June 6, 2001, 01:39 PM   #37
Ledbetter

Picked mine up yesterday and cleaned it. A review.

The finish is not bluing. It could be parkerized, but it looks to me like some kind of polymer or epoxy black matte finish. The trigger guard is made of aluminum alloy, with an integral trigger/safety lock which can only be unlocked with a special "J" shaped key, two of which are provided.

The synthetic stocks are hollow sounding when you knock on them. They are well finished and fitted, as are all components. All engraving and molding is well-done and sharp. The gun comes with one modified Rem-choke. No sling swivels are installed.

Disassembly/Reassembly takes about 30 to 40 minutes, first time. All internal components were covered with packing grease, which was removed. Hoppe's #9 was used, followed by a spray of RemOil and a wipe down. This include the interior of the mag tube and all internal springs and plugs, as well as the bore, choke and gas system, and the interior of the receiver and its components. The gas system incorporates a rubber O-ring.

Lubrication at this time consists solely of the Rem Oil used for/after cleaning. Rem Oil is a dry lubricant whose carrie will evaporate or drain away before shooting. Future use will determine whether other lubricants (grease?) should be used in conjunction with the Rem Oil.

The salesman said that the one I bought was the last one. The price was $328 and not dropping that he knew of, because there were no more to mark down.

Regards,

Ledbetter
Old June 8, 2001, 07:29 PM   #38
Gary H

Any more price breaks??

No movement around here.

Thanks Ledbetter for your report.

Just picked mine up. Hard to report on pricing in that I think that the manager gave me a special deal. I have confirmed that these are on closeout, but it seems that the home office reduces the price based upon how fast they are moving.

One addition to Ledbetter's report. Mine came with three chokes and seems like a really nice gun. I like the balance. The fit should be perfect once I put a longer recoil pad on. The main computer still has them at $328 in California.

One problem..I was thinking of cutting stock to fit wife and have her shoot 2 1/2 dr. eq., but the stock retaining nut will not allow a 11 1/2" - 11 3/4" LOP. In fact, the retaining nut is about where I need the end of the recoil pad to rest. Ehhh Gads!

Last edited by Gary H; June 11, 2001 at 06:54 PM.
Old June 20, 2001, 03:03 PM   #39
Pietro

I just called the Wal Mart down the street, and they sell them for $328. After reading this thread, I decided to call around and see if other stores had lowered their price any further. I couldn't believe that the stores in two neighboring towns (one was <15 miles away) still sell them at the original $410 price! The people in sporting goods said they never heard about any price drop -- "guns don't go on sale"!

Point is: if you don't see the price you expect, try calling around.
Old June 20, 2001, 05:20 PM   #40
WiFAL

I called many Wal Marts in southeast Wisconsin and was told that they are slug or shot stores. If the store carries slug guns it can't sell shotguns. Sounds goofy to me but most the stores here don't carry the 1100 because they are slug stores. The one store I found that was a shot store sold out all the 1100s at $276 about a week and a half ago.
Old June 29, 2001, 04:54 PM   #41
Gary H

Any New Reports

or have we run this one into the ground?
Old June 30, 2001, 11:46 AM   #42
IMtheNRA

I got a GREAT deal!!!

I was at WM, buying target staples after a range session and saw an 1100 marked at $328. I was chatting with the salesperson and told him that some TFLrs reported buying them for 200-something on clearance. He called the manager to check for price drops and was told to sell me the shotgun for $269! It was the display one, in perfect condition, entered into their inventory just six months ago. I had never whipped out the wallet so quickly!

WalMart personnel was a pleasure to deal with - they were professional, efficient, and polite. The manager who walked me to the door to hand me the box after we were out of the store congratulated me on purchasing a fine shotgun.
Old June 30, 2001, 01:34 PM   #43
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad to hear it, looks like starting this thread was a good thing.

BTW, I didn't get one....
Old June 30, 2001, 03:37 PM   #44
Gary H

Dave:

TFL and threads like this have kept me living month to month. I just bought a bunch of reloading stuff in addition to three new shotguns and a Glock 35. Paying off my credit card is getting more difficult and I must say that good threads like this have really contributed, so thanks...I think

Update: Petaluma, CA: 8-02-00 $328

Happy Fourth of July... Going to work at the NRA booth at the Marin County Fair tonight, the third.. Should be fun in VERY anti Marin County.

Last edited by Gary H; July 3, 2001 at 05:26 PM.
Old June 30, 2001, 07:22 PM   #45
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

How much this resource here at TFL can both save and spend money never ceases to amaze me. Neat stuff to buy, and with bargains like these 1100s.

Give and Take...

I'd just like to know how many folks were able to take advantage of the stuff on THIS thread alone.

Got some good deals on ammo, and good ammo advice right here. The KO Brennekes, Estate SWAT 00, and the Federal four packs come to mind.
Old July 3, 2001, 03:19 PM   #46
BigG

Thanks, Dave, I found the thread, and yes, I'm heading to Wally World!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 3, 2001, 04:54 PM   #47
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome, Big G. If you get that 1100, at least 7 of us were able to get a great shotgun at a good price,going on what people here have reported. And I bet some more folks that didn't post got them also.
Old July 5, 2001, 06:20 PM   #48
Ron L

The closest store to me, Livonia, didn't have anything. In fact, the goon working behind the counter could barely muster a "huh?" when asked about it. Forget it. My sister-in-law works at a Walmart in PA, so it's time for a little phone call.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old July 5, 2001, 06:27 PM   #49
Guyon

$328 seems to be clearing them out around my area. About three weeks ago, the Wal-Marts in my area had about 7 as far as I could tell. Now the stock is down to two--one really since I put one on layaway today. I figured the layaway period would give the shotgun a chance to go down even more, and at least I'm guaranteed the $328 price.
Old July 5, 2001, 06:31 PM   #50
BigG

Hi guys, I did get the $328 1100. If it shoots as good as it looks, it is a killer deal! Just for the record, it comes with one rem choke (modified) and a wrench. It has a lock built into the safety which you can unlock and put the J-shaped key away. It has a kind of coated surface, not exactly parkerizing but along those lines. It has a vent rib with no serrations but the rough finish prolly breaks up the glare good enuff. 2 3/4" chamber only. I plan to use it on clay but you duck hunters will have to buy a higher grade model.

Unfortunately, the clay fields at the gun club were closed for the 4th so I didn't get to baptize it yet. Any ideas for names I can call her by? Best name gets the No-Prize!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC