The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2019, 12:11 AM   #1
TLWinton

SIG 320 X Five for competition

I wanted to share a review for competition pistol shooters regarding the Sig X Five so you know the rest of the story when you purchase weapons. I purchased this gun a year ago for USPSA and 3 Gun and love the gun, except the rear sights! As I understand it the sights were designed by SIG with input from a shooting pro, according to SIG. The sights are manufactured by Dawson Precision, truly a great company for sights. It is not my intention that Dawson is at fault with these sights, they are not. Dawson design according to what SIG contracted for, simple as that. The problem is SIG designed the X Five to use only this rear sight, NO EXCEPTION! If you do not like this site, you’re stuck with it or a RMR for another $300 plus dollar. Tell me another weapon platform that the shooter cannot configure the sights that works for them, I know of none! All other manufactures knows the American shooter is conditioned to configure the weapon to their needs. The competition market in America is no different, thus why other manufactures design so the “SHOOTER” can configure the sights for their needs! To my knowledge, no other gun marketed as a competition gun is designed with only one sight option.
Apparently SIG thinks they know better than you as to your needs. Suck it up butter cup and like what they make for you. If you are considering the SIG X Five take into account you CANNOT replace the rear sight with another blade. Take care how you spend that hard earned cash. The Walther PPQ Q5 math is slightly less and as good a gun, the new steel frame would be great but at $1600 its not comparable in price. Glock 34, a great competition gun that my wife and many friends I shoot with, yep you can modify those sights. The point is other manufactures know that shooters want to customize the sights according their personal needs. We do not want to be told what site to use and accept it no exception. This is America and we can voice opinions and say NO! Oh, in case you’re thinking I only called once or twice regarding this issue, nope 5 Times, 5! Each time I hear, sorry it does not work but that’s all we will do. Although I have a possible solution that they are not willing to consider. Shooters ensure as you make ready and fire, you’re using the equipment you want not what you are told to use. Please share this with all your friends and on forums, let SIG know that we have a voice and NO is an acceptable answer too!
Old January 15, 2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Fishbed77

So a drive-by post to point out that you didn't do any research before making a purchase?

Sorry - SIG is not at fault here. If you didn't like the stock sights, you should have verified other options were available before dropping your dough. Even so, it is likely possible you can have a gunsmith mill a different sight cut in your slide.

Quote:
The problem is SIG designed the X Five to use only this rear sight, NO EXCEPTION! If you do not like this site, you’re stuck with it or a RMR for another $300 plus dollar. Tell me another weapon platform that the shooter cannot configure the sights that works for them, I know of none!
I can think of many pistols that do not give you various various sight options. Pretty much any pistol with sights milled out of the slide, of which there are many - the Ruger LCP and some other pocket pistols spring to mind.
Old January 15, 2019, 05:33 PM   #3
1stmar

I would talk to bruce gray, the pro is probably max michel
Old January 15, 2019, 05:45 PM   #4
TunnelRat

I feel like this isn't really a review, and more a comment that you don't like the sights. Sorry you don't like the sights. What sights would you like to be able to use? Seems like you might be able to contact the manufacturer of those sights and see if they could make something. Dawson will often do custom one off sights, and since they are familiar with the pistol already they might be able to help.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 15, 2019, 08:45 PM   #5
TLWinton

FISHBED77

Sorry if I am not replying to the post correctly, I am working to figure this out. I did read the FAQ but did not find a tutorial on how to do this. However, Fishbed77 let me answer your comments, no this is not a drive by post and i researched for 18 months before the decision was made. Questions were asked regarding changing the sights and I was told yes it was possible. I did not ask specifically if the rear blade could be changed, lesson learned for the next time. So I verified, or thought I did, other options were available before dropping my doe. As far as milling the sights, the manufacture themselves (Dawson whom I really like) can not make the needed adjustments. I have to have an entire new plate made with the appropriate dovetail cut into the new plate to accept the sights. Considering my intent was not spending big money (north of $1500) on a competition gun, the new plate is not an option,even if I can get it done. I am still researching that. SIGs unwillingness to even look at options causes me concerns. They want me to fit their mold, sorry that does not work for me.
FISHBED77 As far as your comment "I can think of many pistols that do not give you various various sight options. Pretty much any pistol with sights milled out of the slide, of which there are many - the Ruger LCP and some other pocket pistols spring to mind."
Seriously, your are comparing these to a competition gun, now whose not doing their research?
Bottom line guys is yes I am sure some one can fit this gun to my needs, for big cash. I would have just paid the extra for a high end gun in the beginning if that were the case,that is if I had known that in the beginning which I did not. However, I did research and thought it was thorough, lesson learned. The industry standards lets me configure my weapons to my needs not the industry configuring them to what they think I need. FISHBED77, we will have to agree to disagree my friend.
Old January 15, 2019, 08:49 PM   #6
TLWinton

Tunnel rat, to your question about what sites I would like to use, just larger opening in the current rear sight would be nice but I have been told so far that is not possible. I will keep working on it, something will pop up and work I am certain. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Old January 16, 2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
As far as your comment "I can think of many pistols that do not give you various various sight options. Pretty much any pistol with sights milled out of the slide, of which there are many - the Ruger LCP and some other pocket pistols spring to mind."
Seriously, your are comparing these to a competition gun, now whose not doing their research?
Sorry. I don't do internet measuring contests. I was merely responding to your statement...

"Tell me another weapon platform that the shooter cannot configure the sights that works for them, I know of none!"

...with an answer.

Now you know of some.

Quote:
The industry standards lets me configure my weapons to my needs not the industry configuring them to what they think I need.
I would like to know this "industry standard" of which you speak.
Old January 17, 2019, 06:13 PM   #8
stephen426

I bought the same gun and am pretty disappointed with the trigger. As a competition gun, 6.6 lbs. is not ideal. It might make a decent weight for a carry gun, but it certainly does not line up with the whole lightened slide and massive mag well. I am most likely going to buy the Gray Guns trigger. I don't think the X-Five trigger is any better than the regular 320 trigger.
Old January 17, 2019, 08:25 PM   #9
TLWinton

UPDATE

I was able to speak with one of the SIG Team Pro shooters regarding my site challenges. Although SIG customer service reps stated the sites could not be milled and Dawson Precision was uncomfortable changing sigs design, I have learned it can be done, I reached out to a local gun smith who is willing to do the work when he returns from the shot show!
Old January 17, 2019, 08:48 PM   #10
Jim Watson

That's good.
What did you not like about the sight?
Old January 18, 2019, 08:08 AM   #11
TLWinton

Jim Watson

The rear blade site is too narrow for me to pick up the front site quickly and effectively. Now I know it can be widened I will have the gunsmith widen the sight. Thank you.
Old January 18, 2019, 10:01 PM   #12
tlm225

Quote:
The rear blade site is too narrow for me to pick up the front site quickly and effectively. Now I know it can be widened I will have the gunsmith widen the sight. Thank you.
That's the only problem? You're not needing to change out the blade, only widen it? That's so simple I am puzzled that it's even worth mentioning.
Old January 19, 2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Pops1085

Yeahh this sounds more like a YOU problem. That’s a lotta huff and puff over having a rear sight that’s too narrow. Do your research next time and don’t blame sonebody else for your lack of it.