The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 15, 2019, 07:20 PM   #26
Capt Rick Hiott

I went with a Savage when I bought my 6.5

I also put a big fat Meopta scope on it.

LOVE IT!!!
Old January 16, 2019, 02:36 PM   #27
ninosdemente

Capt Rick Hiott, which model did you get in 6.5?

Thanks for the pic Wendyj. What distance was that?
Old January 16, 2019, 03:19 PM   #28
Longshot4

I recently wanted a 6mm creedmoor but Remington doesent have it. I am a big beleaver in remington but not to pass up my 6 CM. I ended up going to Cabellas for my Savage 10t. Im in process of preping for the range. My grandsons will learn how to shoot deer and cyotes on thair UP Kewanaw farm with it. It has the power to reach out to 500 Yds. for the deer. The 26" heavy barrel will require a bypod for the yungsters and my selfe. It's not much of a kicker. When the correct brake gets installed I hoope they will beable to watch the hit. I hope to have them shooting asprins at 100 Yds. this summer. Good Luck with your Remington. Keep us up dated with the CM.
Old January 17, 2019, 10:53 AM   #29
kraigwy

Quote:
How often are you going to shoot past 600 yards?
All the time, most of the time. I shoot a lot more then what I hunt. During hunting season I normally end up with 2 antelope tags, an elk and a deer tag. During the season I may use a half dozen shells hunting.

But I shoot thousands throughout the year because I like to shoot. And a huge majority of my rifle shooting is at distance.

I figure if I can hit steel at 1000-1500 yards then I would be a much better game shot at 300 yards.

Well thats the excuse I use to justify my shooting as much as I do.

We all, or should anyway, do a lot more shooting on the range then we do in the field.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 17, 2019, 02:29 PM   #30
RC20

Due to my back, shooting is my recreation. I am looking at a Ural (side car cycle) so I may get distracted in that direction somewhat.

So I do shoot a lot, 30 weekend a year roughly - maybe more -150 rounds or more a session (when I shoot I( want to go shoot ALL day)

If I did not have a hang up for my 30 calibers, I would be deep into 6.5.

I don't think you have to shoot a lot for the average hunt, its better if you are going to shoot long distances. Mostly those who try and can't, miss.
Old January 17, 2019, 02:30 PM   #31
RC20

Longshot 4

I believe that is a 24 inch barrel, the 12FV has the 26 inch barrel.

T
Quote:
he 26" heavy barrel will require a bypod for the yungsters and my selfe. I
Old January 17, 2019, 07:37 PM   #32
Longshot4

RC Its not uncommon for me to get some brain fog from time to time. but this isn't it. The Savage 10t is a 26" heavy barrel. Lets call it a Cabela's only special. Thanks for the ability to let us know what you think. When I found the Savage I was also surprised. That's what happens when the company purchases a large run for us shooters to have fun with.
Old January 18, 2019, 07:45 AM   #33
10-96

Quote:
10-96, you mentioned stocks/accessories for save, can you provide a link to site? Thanks. Would like to change the 12FV to eliminate top load.
Sure, https://www.eabco.com/

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 18, 2019, 03:39 PM   #34
std7mag

Dang, Wendy....
Your groups were tighter with the 7mm-08... Lol

Nino,
I shoot probably 1,100-1,500 rounds of rifle per year. Out to 400 really isn't that hard. Going past 500 the wind really takes hold. Getting consistant hits at 600 and beyond takes work.
Good optics help too. Lol

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 18, 2019, 06:05 PM   #35
Wendyj

7mag. My groups will probably always be tighter with the 7-08. I’m going to burn the barrel out eventually since it’s my chosen rifle every time I go out. It only has a Leupold 3.5x10x40 cds on it but I know I shot probably 2000 rounds through it last summer. Rifling is still perfect according to friends bore scope. Unfortunately my husband is a much better shot with the 260 and 6.5. If he can’t get one hole or cloverleaf after trial and error the rifles usually go away or if I’m lucky to me. I take pictures to remember loads. He writes everything in a ledger. I’m real partial to that 7-08. Really want some game to see how those 120 grain Barnes bullets do. No luck this year. Passed a few but saw nothing that caught my eye. How’s your AI doing now or have you moved on to another build.