The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 3, 2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Unique

Thinking Stippling

I have a Glock gen 4 model 22. Had Talon Grips on for years. They generally last me about 8 months before looking like crap and falling to pieces. I’m seriously thinking of stippling it myself.
She’s no beauty queen and I have no desire other than doing what needs to make me shoot the best.
What do most on here do, some sort of Talons or a true stippling job ?
Old January 3, 2019, 02:30 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I stippled most of my Glocks and all of my M&Ps (except my 2.0).

Its not hard at all. Just take your time, set up your lines and edges carefully and dont rush the actual stippling. My first one took me about 6 hours
Old January 3, 2019, 06:20 PM   #3
AK103K

^^^^ What he said.

Thats been my experience as well.

What he did leave out was...its addictive. Once you start, nothing is safe.
Old January 3, 2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Quote:
What he did leave out was...its addictive. Once you start, nothing is safe.
That was included in the “most of my Glocks and all my M&Ps”;-)
Old January 3, 2019, 08:50 PM   #5
AK103K

And AK's, AR's, SIG grip panels, Savage rifle stocks, Shockwave shotgun, Glock knives, to name a few more......, anything you want a non slip surface on.

My hands are pretty calloused, and anything plastic is normally slippery in my them if they dont have a pretty aggressive finish, especially if they are wet.

The only Glocks I dont stipple, are the older RTF2 finish they used on the "gill" guns. I think that was the best grip treatment Glock ever came up with, and I wish they'd go back to it.

Skatboard tape works great to a point, but coverage sucks and it tends to move around with hard use.

The great thing about stippling is, you can get full coverage wherever you want/need it, and when it wears down and starts to lose some of that aggressiveness, its easily touched up, and can be done so numerous times. The one Glock I use as a practice gun has been redone 4 or 5 times now. The 26 I use in practice, twice now.

I file a real fine "needle" type tip on my soldering pen, and its gives an almost velvet look when its done. The finish feels like a cross between a cats tongue and skateboard tape. Nothing super aggressive, but it locks the gun into your grip with a firm squeeze.
Old January 3, 2019, 10:03 PM   #6
imp

If you're a disciple of our esteemed colleague Cheapshooter's philosophy, this won't matter, but stippling will generally have a harsh effect on resale values.
Old January 3, 2019, 10:35 PM   #7
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
If you're a disciple of our esteemed colleague Cheapshooter's philosophy, this won't matter, but stippling will generally have a harsh effect on resale values.
You hear this a lot, but I havent found it to be the case. Ive sold a couple of guns that Ive stippled, and I got the asking price for them (same price it would have been without the stippling), and they sold quick as well. They didnt sit long at all.
Old January 4, 2019, 08:04 PM   #8
Rembrandt

Brownells has (multiple) stippling punches instead of doing one point at a time.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s-prod396.aspx